What are you grateful for, relating to Mario? (Sincerity recommended!)

winstein

Justice is not limited, it is a universal quality
Awards Committee
MarioWiki
winstein
Initially I wanted to create this topic during Thanksgiving but it's not meant to be, so I create this topic now since there's always time for gratefulness. I feel that there are many things that we might have taken for granted regarding the Mario series, so I suppose this is something to reflect on. Perhaps it's difficult to properly figure out why we are to be grateful over something like Mario, since he's after all just a video game franchise, but I think there's something to be had about a series that has lasted decades up to this point.

By the way, I have to add "Sincerity recommended!", because it's also quite possible to appreciate something falsely, which would certainly mean that the thankfulness would be hollow as a result. Something like being grateful that someone/some character being dead is an example (though an extreme one, I admit).

I will start, then:
  • I am grateful that the Mario series has lasted as long as it is, and he even has an active presence. This is because video game trends have always changed, and thus some video game characters come and go to and from the spotlight. Mario has not only started quite early (1981), but he's also managed to have a consistent presence in the world of video games, even managing to be known by people who aren't into the hobby.
  • I am grateful that the quality of Mario games is still overall great, and even the games that aren't well-liked by fans have something to like. I am going to get destroyed by suggesting that Paper Mario Colour Splash has really great level design, music and generally an interesting theme. Hotel Mario has really great tunes and is in-line with what Mario music sounds like, which surprised me.
  • I love how Mario has a rich history and small tidbits that aren't obvious, and there's such a wealth of trivia that a website is dedicated to this type of information (Supper Mario Broth).
  • Every time Daisy and Waluigi gets to star in any game on a notable scale, I am instantly grateful for that. Even minor games like Game & Watch Gallery 4 and Super Mario Run is made better by that. One recent example is, while not everything, but it's really great that Daisy, for the first time, was a fighter in Smash Ultimate. I have to admit that it's due to how lambasted either character are, so I kind of want them to have notable roles to dispel any beliefs that they are just there.
  • The fact that are Mario fans present here is something to be grateful of, since the community is surprisingly sparse online compared to the likes of Sonic. The wiki is also more or less reliable, contrast to how some fan wikis have a lack of updated information or activity. Heck, I daresay that this is the most active Mario forums.

Thank you for reading.

I'm grateful for the huge variety of games Mario offers, which is a huge reason I'm very devoted to the games. I also appreciate its overall friendliness but also its totally wacky origins and set pieces. I love how strange Mushroom Kingdom is. I like how Mario can be family friendly but not become immature or juvenile (as how I see Skylanders). The games are indeed quality and they remain to have some degree of integrity, being free of cash schemes I'm seeing from other companies. Mario can easily turn into "live services" or contain twenty different special editions or be filled with microtransactions, but it didn't. Though it has a fair share of questionable games like New Super Mario Bros. 2 or Super Mario Run, and there has been tons of disappointments being a lot of Mario Party after DS, I am glad Mario has never had really buggy games the same extent as the Bethesda stuff or Ride to Hell Retribution.

But anyway, the Mario series is unique in how many different spinoffs it has. It's practically unprecedented. Mario himself is probably the most frequently controllable video game character of all time, which, I, as a fan girl for the character, is extremely fortunate to have. This makes it easy to spend so much time in Mario's World. This also makes Mario a very flexible and adaptable character, so he can fit and look good in a variety of situations, in my opinion. It's always exciting for me to see which new activity Mario and his friends are going to engage in, which I can't really say, to the same extent for other series. I like Kirby, but I just can't expect a lot of party-like titles, particularly the multiplayer ones.

While my sister likes Luigi's baby variant more nowadays, I have to say that Mario and Luigi's likeness to each other and their brother relationship really helped her secure a lookalike character while I chose Mario, and I would imagine that's very delightful thing for a twin sister to have.

Of course I can go into a gush into how awesome the Mario character is, but I'll save you time.

I'm pretty happy Nintendo greenlighted a new WarioWare even after how bad DIY and Game & Wario did and that they're still pushing it and the characters 4 months after release

I'm grateful that even with ups and downs, the Mario franchise has overall kept its integrity and spirit.
I'm grateful for what the games have done for videogame design and the videogame industry in general, and that it was what kickstarted my own interest in videogames with Super Mario Bros. for the NES when I was a kid.
I'm grateful for the various memories I have with playing Mario games along with friends and family, from going home over lunch in middle school to play Super Mario World with my childhood friend to laughing my head off playing Mario Kart really badly while drunk at a party. I have four siblings, the youngest are seven years old and the oldest is 28, and we all love the Mario games and have played them many times together. I also remember when I had gotten a Nintendo DS and New Super Mario Bros. for my 12th birthday and I brought it to my dad and we played it together and then booted up the old one on the NES. Mario games have been with me for pretty much my entire life and yet they still hold up, both new and old ones, and even after my taste in games branched out I keep coming back to Mario, and Mario games always manage to put a smile on my face, and for that I'm grateful.

if we're talking recent, while i haven't played it yet, odyssey being a return to the 64/sunshine style, among my favorites of all time, has me very excited to get it once i trim down my game backlog

if we're talking past then i'm hella grateful that the mario series resulted in the existence of the mariowiki and the mario boards and the years i've spent here thanks to paper mario 2 and yoshi's island directing me to this forum

pm2/yi also directed me to my other main internet hangouts and are responsible for me knowing my best friend in the whole world so all in all i've had some pretty good times thanks to this series

Putt-Putt said:
CoverWheelEU_MKWii.png

I'm grateful for the existence of this Masterpiece.

Could you please explain? It would be great to know more about what this game has that you are thankful for.

Thank you for reading.

Most of the Mario RPGs. I love the atmospheres and characters and stories. I especially love when they dare to deviate from things that are considered a no-brainer in most other Mario games, such as Bowser being the final boss and kidnapping Peach, and even put those characters in unusual roles (such as Bowser being a playable character, in a story/adventure-based game that's very unusual but very welcome). Anything that bucks a tired status quo is something to appreciate in my book. In terms of recency, the BIS remake stands out because it's one of those games that did all the things I mentioned and it's now remastered beautifully with tons of new sprites and graphics, including those for my favorite Mario villain Fawful. I can't wait to be able to play it in English and be able to understand the Bowser Jr. mode.

I'm grateful that the M&L remakes have put my fears of the series permanently abandoning original characters like Paper Mario did to rest. I was genuinely uneasy after Paper Jam. But now M&L is back with all its wonderful character designs and I can't be grateful enough for that. Can Paper Mario just do that too now?

I look at the story of the first SMB, it's early concepts, and gameplay changes it had before being what it i today.

Lemme tell ya, it would be really weird if that game didn't turn out the way it did. Imagine how the entire series would be...

one thing i thought of.. god the characters. i get so attached to so many of them and i camt say i dislike any either. and theres so many of them in general aaaaa I Love Them
a;so gotta agree with a lot of previously mentioned points

Back when I was around 7 or 8 (which was around 2009 roughly) I was digging through home vhs tapes in the cabinet under the tv in our living room and found what was apparently my uncle's old NES. i remembered my sisters playing it a few years beforehand but they said it broke for some reason. however i was bored as fuck so i figured i'd hook it up and try to play anyway. i hooked it up to the tv and put in Super Mario Bros. 3 (the only other games i had were tetris, SMB/Duck Hunt, and SMB2). the thing just blue screened but then i tried to just push the cartridge down further into the machine, which made the game work. After sticking a remote into the console to make it stay and giving the game a couple blowjobs just in case I booted up the game and started playing. I sucked ass at it at first but after months of playing it everyday i was able to beat it. and then i did it again and again eventually moving on to SMB/Duck Hunt and SMB2. a year or so later my parents got me a Nintendo DS with NSMB and i've been enjoying the series since then.

so yes, i am grateful to the series for giving me loads of entertainment as a kid and into my teenage years. and thereby getting me into video games in general. of course with Mario developing my interest in video games i naturally wanted to talk/hang with others who shared my interests. which, you guessed it (yes i know that's a cliche phrase), led me to make an account on this very website. a website where i was able to make many friends who were, and STILL ARE, the best people i've ever been able to hang out with. my gratefullness to the ability of this site to give me friends when i was a rather shut in kid who was a bit terrified to talk to other people irl can't be done justice with words. I've been through some pretty rough times in my teenage years, attempted suicide/severe depression and all that jazz. But without the support of you guys here I honestly don't know if I would have been able to make it through them, in fact i'm pretty sure I wouldn't.

In short, thank you Nintendo, thank you Shigeru Miyamoto and all the people who had a role in making this remarkable franchise and, and ESPECIALLY THANKS to all the wonderful people here who've made this such an awesome community. You truely are all the best. (And you're welcome Mario for playing your games).

Well, the Mario series gave me Baby Luigi, still my favorite character of all time. In addition, despite his rather rare appearances and getting shafted aside, I always know he has the potential to appear again in the future, unlike quite a bit of many other game protagonists I like, thanks to the Mario series huge release window of multitudes of games. I know I don't have much of a vanilla Baby Luigi theme in my profiles and such any more, but Baby Luigi derivatives are still Baby Luigi, no? I like how the characters are designed to be molded in however you want them and how the series is open to any sort of headcanon from the bizarre to the unique.

I love the Mario Party series and Mario Sports games, as it gave me and my twin something to laugh together with. No other game series gave us quite the time laughing at it, laughing at CPU antics, and laughing at, of course, beating up Wario. No other character gives quite the satisfaction of that fatass being beaten up.

But best of all, Mario is why we're all drawn together in this community, and I'm glad I've met tons of really cool people on this forum and elsewhere and IRL because of our shared interest in the series and without it, we wouldn't be together talking about all this stuff.

piggybacking off of the earlier post on 1-1: i guess this isn't really something i'm "grateful" for, but something i really appreciate, and that's the way the level teaches you how to play. you start the game immediately from the title screen, you quickly realize you can't go left, the goomba teaches you to jump, and doing so makes you hit the ? block with the mushroom. it's really the perfect start to a game

I am greatful for Peachette because she's the closest thing ever to a playable Peach for now in New Super Mario Bros. U Deluxe (with a pint of Daisy added in). But I don't really like her in general because she's a dumb idea and so out of place.

I'm grateful for Charles Martinet and his sincere enthusiasm and dedication to voice the absolute best video game characters and give each of them his own touch. He's left such a mark on the character, he'll be forever associated with Mario. I hope he continues delighting kids and adults like, especially when he does those one-one speaking screens at events.

Back