Something that makes no sense

Wario's ass

King Bowser
Pronouns
He/him
In Yoshi's Island, the stork was carrying both baby Mario and baby Luigi in the same bag, and he was going to deliver them both at the same time to their parents, Mr and Mrs Mario. That means they should have the same age, right?

If so, why the hell is Luigi younger than Mario?

That's because at birth time, Luigi is born probably a few moments after Mario. People ask me who's the older of the twins and I said I am and it's a 15 minute difference. Same applies to Mario and Luigi. You wouldn't believe how many times nontwins seem to ask why Mario is older and Luigi is younger when I feel the answer is very obvious, as if age differences have to be long-term or something.

As a twin, makes perfect sense to me, as LGM already explained. I'm the younger twin.

I mean wouldn't mario look physically as young as Luigi then? He looks like he's 2-3 years older, not 10 minutes lol. Also, the voices. Mario sounds way older that Luigi.

They look the same age to me. Mario just has a more mature demeanor I'm guessing, so it looks like he's taking care of Luigi despite similar age differences. I've had someone tell me I act older than my sister because I keep telling her to do important tasks while she's on the computer.

And about the voice and appearances, I've seen people who thought Mario was the younger of the two. Luigi's voice quality is arguably more mature (especially back in the non-Bardakoff N64 days) and he's taller.

As for why Mario's older, it's exactly what LeftyGreenMario and Baby Luigi said: There's going to be one twin who's slightly older, even if it is only by a couple of minutes. A pair of twins I know were born three minutes apart, so one of them is three minutes older than the other. I'd guess some apparent differences between the age may have been caused by Nintendo flip-flopping between whether they were twins or just brothers earlier on, though I think Mario and Luigi look the same age, but I've come across a fair few people who think that Luigi is the older of the two. Their age can look slightly different if you were to compare artwork from two different games, but they always look the same age if you compare the two from the same game. I've always though that Luigi acted slightly younger though, but I think that's more part of his personality.

Well, correct me if I'm wrong but there is such a thing as non-identical twins isn't there?

Mario was the first to get out of the cloth carried by the stork at the beginning of Yoshi's Island. Luigi wouldn't do the same until after he was rescued at the end of the game. Symbolically, that means Mario was born before Luigi. Problem solved.

Or, "there is no real continuity and whenever Luigi is specified as younger, that's typically in a game that doesn't involve the SMW2 plot."

'sides, there are plenty of things that don't make sense, we have a fire-breathing turtle-ox-hippo-ankylosaurus thing and his army of shiitake mushrooms and various tortoises stealing a conspicuously-human princess of mushroom people, leading her to be rescued by some short guy who is allegedly a plumber and/or his slightly-taller brother. Both of which can jump ridiculously high, ride a stretchy-tongued theropod that lays eggs even if it isn't female, and gain weird powers and clothes by touching various herbs.

Mario's Drunken Holiday Special said:
They look the same age to me. Mario just has a more mature demeanor I'm guessing, so it looks like he's taking care of Luigi despite similar age differences. I've had someone tell me I act older than my sister because I keep telling her to do important tasks while she's on the computer.

And about the voice and appearances, I've seen people who thought Mario was the younger of the two. Luigi's voice quality is arguably more mature (especially back in the non-Bardakoff N64 days) and he's taller.

I'm taller than my older brother and he's 12 years older than me. Same with my other one who's 3 years older than me. Him being taller doesn't really mean a whole lot. :/

Lord Bowser said:
Doc von Schmeltwick said:
gain weird powers and clothes by touching various herbs.
the right kind of herb can do this in real life too

Falling bare-butted into a pit full of stinging nettles could potentially give someone super jumping abilities, yeah.

That's totally what you meant, right?

Luigi's Drunken Holiday Special said:
I'm taller than my older brother and he's 12 years older than me. Same with my other one who's 3 years older than me. Him being taller doesn't really mean a whole lot. :/

My little brother's still in middle school and I'm in my third year of college, and he's either taller than me or the same height as me. IE, he's taller than most adults and still not full-grown.

Well TG is taller than me, and I'm exactly 2 whole years older than he is!

Though it's a 1 centimeter difference.

Mcmadness said:
Well, correct me if I'm wrong but there is such a thing as non-identical twins isn't there?
They're called fraternal but they're still born at relatively the same time (i.e. they share a womb with the mother as two sperms penetrate two eggs; identical: one fertilized egg splits). It doesn't seem to matter much if Mario and Luigi are identical or fraternal, they'd still be the same age. I *wish* they were identicals because my sister and I are identicals but, again, it doesn't seem terribly important what kind of twins the two are.

Or, "there is no real continuity and whenever Luigi is specified as younger, that's typically in a game that doesn't involve the SMW2 plot."
or, just have a understanding how twins work, don't deny their twinly agency

im sorry but going into this thread i thought it was actually something mind blowing being discovered and not something so obvious and simple.

Like for real, the only physical difference between Mario and Luigi is that one if taller than the other, they otherwise look exactly the same age but as Nintendo points out Luigi is the youngest because obviously at the time of birth he came out after Mario.

im genuinely amazed this is a topic, not trying to be mean or anything but this is some keeping up with the kardashians level of funny lol.

when you're an identical twin, you're already split in half when you're just an egg

Um.....if that was the case, one of 'em'd have to be female. :eek:
identical twins always have the same sex

I wonder if Luigi was conceived as an identical twin to Mario when he was first introduced in Mario Bros., because I don't think the mentioned the distinction beyond being Mario's brother. You know, those games where Luigi look like Mario but wear clothes of different colours.

Thank you for reading.

If you think about it, it makes sense that Luigi is conceived as an identical twin because, well, he's palette swap and identical twins are infamously very similar. Interesting, though, identical twins in real life get more different the older they are and it appears to be the case with Luigi, lol, in terms of video game lifespan. I'm probably being hopeful, but I'd love it if Mario and Luigi are identical like me and my sister are.

Back