Mario 64 or Mario 64 DS?

Which version should I get?

• Get the original, and get the remake later.

Votes: 9 37.5%
  • Get the remake, and get the original later.

Votes: 3 12.5%
  • Get the original and don't get the remake.

Votes: 5 20.8%
  • Get the remake and don't get the original.

Votes: 5 20.8%
  • Save your precious gold coins and invest in better games! :wario:

Votes: 2 8.3%

• Total voters

YoshiFlutterJump

Power Star
MarioWiki
YoshiFlutterJump
So I'm looking to get Mario 64, but I'm not sure which version to get. The original has better controls, yet the remake is portable and has much more content (including :yoshi:). I don't think the controls of the remake would bother me too much, but given its classic status I'd like to try the original version and see how 3D Mario evolved from there. I'd like to try both eventually but don't know which to try first. I would be playing the original on my Wii U, and the remake on my 3DS. I've essentially decided not to play the remake on my Wii U, despite that being cheaper than a physical DS cart. As such, I would have to pay a little more to play the remake.

Whatever version I get, I'll be happy just to have the game. But if anyone on these forums happens to have a bone to pick with Mario 64, I included an option in the poll just for you. :wario:

If you're just trying it for the first time, I would recommend starting with original Mario 64 and trying DS later. DS is a sequel-ish to the original if you ask me, and as someone who speedruns Mario 64, I think it's the better way to start into 64.

Doc von Schmeltwick said:
On the flipside, nearly everything is easier with Luigi.

All Luigi needed was a nerf, let's be honest.

I'm in the minority but I say get the remake and also deliberately kill Wario once you get the opportunity.

get a game thats actually good instead

Doc von Schmeltwick said:
Lucinavidad said:
get a game thats actually good instead

Brave thing to say for someone covering their profile with Fire Emblem. :V

You know, one day I would like to go into a thread in Marioverse without seeing someone being a dick about something that's not even part of the discussion.

The "unnecessary cheek" is actually an option on the poll.

I hate to break it to you, but in threads with a poll associated with them, people often leave posts that indicate which option they picked. If you look at some of the other posts in this thread, this is exactly what people have been doing, and it's perfectly normal and accepted.

Here's some advice: Maybe instead of throwing shade at the preferences of a whole group of people that just happen to include the one person you wanted to sass, try to challenge their post productively by creating a healthy counterpoint and explaining why you believe Super Mario 64 is actually a good game and a good investment.

That would be much more helpful to the thread creator as well.

If you're gonna play both definitely play the original first

And once you're comfortable enough with the game, complete it by collecting 70 stars in one sitting and time how long it takes you so you can join the official #mariowiki Super Mario 64 speedrun leaderboard

Kazooie said:
I hate to break it to you, but in threads with a poll associated with them, people often leave posts that indicate which option they picked. If you look at some of the other posts in this thread, this is exactly what people have been doing, and it's perfectly normal and accepted.

Here's some advice: Maybe instead of throwing shade at the preferences of a whole group of people that just happen to include the one person you wanted to sass, try to challenge their post productively by creating a healthy counterpoint and explaining why you believe Super Mario 64 is actually a good game and a good investment.

That would be much more helpful to the thread creator as well.

It would, but I wanted an excuse to link the image :P I've nothing for nor against FE. It's probably every bit as "bad" as SM64, which isn't an insult in any way by my collectathon-adoring standards.

Anyways, I'd say get the DS game first (on 3DS) and then the original, as the remake is much easier thanks to Luigi. The original's practically challenge gaming in and of itself by comparison, even without any self-imposed silliness regarding numbers of button-presses.

Of course, I'm of the mind that if you prioritize speedrunning above completion amount, you're playing the game wrong, regardless of the game. But that's just my silly little opinion, and if you like speedrunning, then that's great.

In the long run get original then remake. You'll be able to appreciate what the remake adds though I also thing the original does somethings better.

Makoto Kikuchi said:
And once you're comfortable enough with the game, complete it by collecting 70 stars in one sitting and time how long it takes you so you can join the official #mariowiki Super Mario 64 speedrun leaderboard

Er, the what? Why wasn't I told this was a thing???

I think the greater price for the remake is offset by all the additional content it features, and the luxury of it being a handheld title means you can keep playing it anywhere. On top of that, I really don't think the controls were as much an issue as they were made out to be, and I found the remake more enjoyable to play than the original. I'd recommend getting the remake and then maaaaaybe coming back to grab the original in the distant future, should you feel so inclined (which was what I did).

Super Mario 64 has romhacking but I guess if you're going to go that route, price point doesn't matter at this point.

Back