Hanging Luigi

Super Segale

Rip Mario Segale 1934-2018
I have not yet played the Luigi’s Mansion remake for the 3DS. Can anybody who has played the game confirm whether or not the legendary Hanging Luigi Shadow in the telephone room still appeared in this version? Oddly I have searched like crazy yet can’t confirm or deny. I know it was a glitch in the original so I know it was unlikely, but maybe out of respect for video game lore, Nintendo kept it in?

This video has the answer:

If you don't want to watch the video, then no it doesn't appear.

tuOzHSz.png

Which is great because that will stop people from assuming it's an easter egg.

Super Segale said:
video game lore
Mario has none :P

and the hanging Luigi illusion is just a rendering quirk, they're not gonna waste time replicating it in a new engine that should render shadows properly.

LMshadow.jpg

You see that "arm" in the right? That's not actually an arm, it's the tube for the Poltergust 3000. The shadow is copying Luig's pose, but at a different angle. I have no clue what that stuff jutting out of Luigi's belly is but most certainly a distortion of the shadow at the strange angle.

You're either talking about the Game Boy Horror (the square bit that's jutting out) or just the table and Luigi being merged.

I'm pretty sure someone at Nintendo had to catch wind of the glitch when people on YouTube started talking about it, so it's not too surprising that they'd fix it.

I haven't played the remake yet, but from what I heard I think the biggest crime is that Luigi doesn't ride the Poltergust in the Boolossus fight.

I wouldn't call it a "glitch". It's more like a case of pareidolia from outdated rendering techniques.

I always thought that, if it were an Easter egg, it was the ghosts in the mansion playing a trick on Luigi or trying to freak him out by creating the illusion (not a premonition of any sort). I think a lot of fans wanted it to be a spooky and fun Easter egg, but I think the depiction of a hanging in a game would have immediately merited the game a Mature rating from the ESRB (unless it just being a faked shadow of a hanging that did not take place makes any difference in that respect. I don’t claim to know).

I don't think it would change the ESRB rating that much even if it was intentional. I mean TTYD had a noose smack dab in the middle of Rogueport and it was still rated E by the ESRB.

I mean kids don't even know what it's for, so yeah, sometimes people take those things a bit further than they should.

Which is why I am more scared of some things in video games than 7 year old me would be.

Back