Character Unlock Method thread (Turns out nothing is actually random!)

SonicMario

Star Spirit
Turns out nothing is random heh. OP kept but struck out for context of some of the first replies.

Putting this thread ahead of time to both have something to confirm now and something to post for fun later.

At least in terms of Classic Mode and maybe even Vs. Matches. Character unlocks will be completely random! There were streams earlier today that proved this with Kirby unlocking Ness, while Link unlocked King K. Rool. So it will be completely random who you get next assuming you unlock characters outside of World of Light or if the Amiibo rumor is true or not!

When you get the game. Feel free to keep track of who you got in order. Who did you get first? Who did you get last? All that stuff. Just keeping this thread in handy until then. Of course this only really applies I guess if you didn't already decide to just try unlocking them through World of Light which I imagine may be a much more linear method (Albeit with the branching path with Sheik, Villager, and Marth. Not completely linear). But randomized unlocks of 63 characters (Pokemon Trainer will probably be one, and the 3 Mii Fighters may apparently be unlocked seperately) actually sounds like a lot of fun.

We'll no longer have the fun of getting a character we had no idea was in the game. But the randomized feature does still provide a "Who are we going to get next?!" kind of feeling.

And oh yeah, you still have to fight them in a Challenger approaching moment. And if you fail, a door may occasionally appear on the menu for you to try at it again.

Re: Roster Unlocks Outside of World of Light are Randomized! What order didja get?

That's just great, whatever happened to just picking a character I want to play as next? I'd hate to go through the entire game just to find out my main was one of the last of the unlocked characters. >_>

Re: Roster Unlocks Outside of World of Light are Randomized! What order didja get?

they had so many ways to unlock characters and they pick the fucking worst one

oh well I think amiibos will help me out here (if rumors are true) but if you don't have them, have fun

Hm, I might of spoken too soon. Apparently someone else has unlocked K. Rool by beating Link's Classic mode. Maybe that person just managed to be super coincidental with the 1/63 chance of getting the same character as the other person. But maybe it's not quite as random as thought?

Either way, unlocking K. Rool with Link is an odd choice if that is the case. Damn it, why can't Nintendo be more open about the unlock requirements...

That sounds both good and bad.

Bad because it may take the whole game to get the characters you wanna main.

But good because at least like that there won't be any spoilers on who's getting unlocked next.

A mixed bag. Will have to play the game to see what side is dominant.

who's ready to buy some orbs

Both my mains (Yoshi and Kirby) are starters, so I get it easy. I hope the randomness doesn't decide to be evil to everyone else...

With my luck, I'll probably get them in order of least favorite to favorite.

Marth is an early unlock in WoL so that's good.

Lucinavidad said:
who's ready to buy some orbs

Sucks that the only seasonal variant we have in the game is of Shulk.

Okay so it can be confirmed that it's still random.

One person got Jigglypuff with Ness. Another got her with Kirby. (Both in Classic Mode) So two streamers getting Link with K. Rool was just one huge, huge, coincidence.

Though I've also heard that Amiibo unlocking characters are fake. So... sorry for any Amiibo collectors but you're still going to have to through the lottery of all this heh.

Great, now I'll have flashbacks of unlocking the kart parts I wanted in MK8 last :|

Isabelle said:
But good because at least like that there won't be any spoilers on who's getting unlocked next.
bleh

spoiling unlock requirements? no thanks.'

Edit: It also appears you cannot unlock characters with amiibo so hooray have fun grinding

I skimmed through a 2 hour vid that did mainly Vs. matches. And this is what I saw in the rate of characters unlocked. They already had 9 matches before they started streaming so they started off with unlocking Inkling at 10 Vs. matches. But anyway this is the rate they unlocked characters via Vs. Matches:

Inkling after 10
Villager after 14
16 (Streamer lost in the Vs. match)
Marth after 17
Young Link after 19
Wii Fit Trainer after 21
Ice Climbers after 24
Captain Falcon after 25
Peach after 27
28 (Streamer lost in the vs. match)
Ryu after 29

They also had Ness, Bowser, and Zelda already unlocked before the stream so that's a grand total of 12 characters in 29 Vs. matches. This obviously makes Vs. matches the fastest method especially if you just do 1-stock matches or whatever.

Re: UPDATE: Vs. Matches might still be Random, but Classic Mode not so much

Ok so big update. While Vs. mode unlocks may still be random.

There is actually a chart for Classic Mode unlocks right now. Apparently there are predetermined characters for some characters. To get K. Rool first you play Links. To get Sonic first you use Mario. And if you already got those characters via a different method then a different character takes their place.

Re: UPDATE: Vs. Matches might still be Random, Classic Mode not so much

Visual chart for Classic Mode:
JwZNUgx.jpg

Seems like Mr. Game & Watch is the character that will take the longest to get, so I know who I'll be working hard to get when the game releases.

Of freaking course Lucario doesn't have information yet, Ike and R.O.B. are far away down the tree...

Though I'm happy Isabelle is easy. Looks like I know who's going to be the first main I'll get.

Now we have clarification on Vs. Match unlocks.

Apparently there's a 10 minute cooldown between character unlocking. Meaning without exploits. It would take About 10 hours for you to get all the characters via this method.

Though I said exploits, because you can change the Switch's time clock by 10 minutes after closing the game and coming back in and it will work. You'd just have to mind the tediousness of closing the game and then coming back in 61 times.

So it kind of looks like Classic Mode is the easiest to both pick who you want and gradually unlock characters each time. Because World of Light + Vs. match method without exploits will take hours. So regardless how this goes, look like I'm sticking with Classic. Get a little training first with Mario and/or Pikachu, then head into Mario's classic mode to get Sonic will probably be the first thing I do with the game.

Re: SSBUltimate Character Unlock Methods (Turns out nothing is actually random!)

So now we can put all previous randomness speculation to bed. Turns out this is a set character list for Vs. Matches

Please look at the chart again. The list of what characters you unlock is there. According to this, Ness is always the first Vs. match unlocked character, and Palutena is last via this method.

But now you can properly decide your course of unlocking characters!

This is it.

I'm doing Samus' and Yoshi classic modes.

Easy.

It is disappointing that the Amiibos won't unlock characters. I would have most of the cast unlocked in ten minutes with them. But for Classic Mode, I'm doing Link's Classic Mode, and then Mario's. I believe that King K. Rool's unlocks Simon if memory serves me right. After that, it is the WOL method of unlocking characters.

So looks like Classic Unlocking has been cleared up more

y6gZvzi.png

(From IGN's Unlocking guide)

Basically as reported by an earlier chart, the characters are grouped by the separate 8 characters. It is possible to get to the other groups with a character if you insist on keep doing only one character's Classic Mode. But otherwise using a character in the group will get you other characters in the groups

Though apparently some characters may still pop out randomly anyway such as Wario, Cloud, and Richter. So look out for that.

Back