Votes: 1 7.7%
  • NSMB2

• NSMBU

• Other

Votes: 3 23.1%

• Total voters
I'd sooner take SMB over SMG2 since he at least gets a chance to do something.

Plus it has being an early ass NES game as an excuse. SMG2 doesn't.

As for best, I can't say, he's had a lot of good ones.

All based on my experiences:

Best: Super Mario 64, Paper Mario, Super Mario Galaxy, Super Mario Galaxy 2 (except the final phase), Mario & Luigi: Dream Team, Super Mario Odyssey

Worst: Super Mario Galaxy 2 (final phase), Paper Mario: Sticker Star, every "battle" in SMM levels where you just get infinite fire flowers and spam fireballs. The last one doesn't really count but I figured I'd mention it.

I'd say the Super Mario 3D World and New Super Mario Bros. U are the best of the ones I've played, though the most challenging was the New Super Mario Bros. Wii one. As for the worst, I'd say the Super Mario 3D Land, though challenging, felt too long and overly drawn out to me, and while the Super Mario Odyssey was a nice concept, I found it way too easy- we beat it on the second try, and it usually takes us at least five attempts to get anywhere.

NSMBW (second phase) is easily the best one imo. That part was heart-pounding the first time I played it.

I like how in New Super Mario Bros U you use the Clown Car to defeat Bowser, as if using Bowser's ally against him (since it's Bowser Jr operating it, after all). Super Mario 3D World is another contender, as with Super Mario Bros. 3 (because it has the concept of luring Bowser into a pit, something we don't see more of).

Thank you for reading.

EDIT: Dang, should have read the poll question more clearly, because I voted New Super Mario Bros. U. I would have voted NSMB2.

Super Mario Galaxy 2's final boss fight should have had its music replaced with, idk, the stupidest, most unfitting music possible, because that fits more than the music they played for that pathetic boss fight.

Mario Sunshine and Mario Galaxy 2 have the worst final bosses, no question. You could say Mario 1's is worse than either of those, but I cut it some slack since it was the first.

I voted "Other" because Mario Sunshine is not in the poll for some strange reason.

On paper I feel that SMG2 had potential for a great final battle, but completely flubbed it up in it's execution. I mean just the sheer concept of Mario duking it out with a colossally oversized Bowser fueled by the power of a Grand Star inside a black hole alone is awe-inspiring and the music associated with it would've be the perfect compliment to match a scene of such magnitude... or it would've been if the fight didn't end under a minute.

But the award for the lamest Bowser fight has to go to...

As for my favorites:

~ SMW
~ SMW 2: YI
~ SM64/SM64DS
~ SMG
~ PM
~ PM: CS
~ M&L: DT
~ MPDS

despite being my favorite 3d mario i'll go ahead and echo that smg2's easily sucked the most no contest. i will say it has the best muic paws down/no question/etc

The best? Every single one of them :bowser:. Just kidding. But, Bowser is a pretty good boss overall. The following quote says it best.
[quote author=Bowser from Super Paper Mario]But… But I'm Bowser! I'm grade-A, 100% prime-cut final boss!...[/quote]

Now before reveal the true best, I am doing the worst first.
And to do this, I am going to name some honorable mentions. At the bottom of the list is the regular NSMB battles. They're basically the same as SMB1 without it being that. Though, NSMBU gets credit for an actual axe. They're saving grace is that it is updated enough. Up next is Tutor Bowsers in Superstar Saga, Partners in Time (baby version), and Bowser's Inside Story. They really don't show Bowser as a good boss. Though, Tutor Bowser being a tutorial for battles gives it the reason for its lowness. The final honorable mention is the first SPM fight. The player can only attack using Boomer (a bomb). Most bad players go into 3D to get out of Bowser's attacks. And Tippi is gone during the fight making the player figure out how to defeat Bowser. Though, they did use Boomer just before the fight. Luckily, it is not an hard fight once you know to use bombs, but not too easy either.
Now some others that are bad, but not the worst. And apparently they all been mentioned. SMG2 final fight part 2 and Super Mario 3D Land are the ones I am going to be picking as bad but not the worst. Also, 3D Land is probably the worst due to either the battle is too long or the attacks don't really matter. Only the final Bowser boss in that game was good, but still was long. So long that if one failed the last part, they're going to be a while to get back where they were. They only new one I can think of is Shrowser from Partners in Time. It is bad because of it relies on defend attacks. If the player is good at these, it is too easy. If the player is bad at these, it is too hard. It definitely feels like an unnecessary battle.
But now here is the worst Bowser fight that I encountered. I may seem unofficial due to it being in Super Mario Maker (for Nintendo 3DS), but it is Nintendo that made Bowser like this. They programmed Bowser to take 20 hits when regular and 40 hits when big. So, because of this number, I consider this the worst Bowser battle. Big Bowser in a Koopa Clown Car. But, that is not all I am saying about the battle. But officially, big Bowser in a Koopa Clown Car is the worst Bowser fight. First, there is the fact that it takes 40 hits to defeat him. Second, since he is in the Koopa Clown Car, he is going to be in the air rather than near the ground. Third, if a player loses to him, they're end up at the last checkpoint or the beginning of the stage; thus having to restart at 40 hits left. Fourth, he throws 4 lit Bob-ombs from the Koopa Clown Car, which explode soon afterwards. Now, the creator of a level can help the players out a bit for this fight. But, here I am going to show you the worst case for the player to be in while still be able to defeat Bowser. First, if Mario can't also fly, he is at a disadvantage due to Bowser almost always being higher. Second, the ground is flat and the arena is about one screen long. This removes any change of Mario getting higher than Bowser. Also, one screen is the best area for the fight. Too small and the player can't hit Bowser. Too large and the area to cover is too big. Third, the game style is New Super Mario Bros. U or Super Mario Bros. 3. Super Mario World offers one thing that no other mode provides: the ability to stuff up. Without this, the player is stuck trying to lure Bowser down to get a hit on him. Super Mario Bros., on the other hand, removes all abilities to carry objects. This makes Super Mario Bros. impossible to defeat Bowser with with one exception, but this setting is still hard: Fire Flowers. Fire Flowers give the player fire balls to shoot. And because Fire Flowers are just a little more powerful than other objects, it is the fourth thing I am removing. Along with the Super Leaf and Propeller Suit. Removing these two removes all hopes of the player being able to get height advantage. Also, if you are following this set up, please give the player infinite Super Mushrooms to deal with. Otherwise, it is going to be almost impossible. Fifth, have the only object to hit Bowser are the Bob-ombs that come out of Bowser. If you followed this correctly, you have the worst singular Bowser battle ever. Wait. This is only a single Bowser we're talking about. The truly worst? Try fighting three of those at the same time. Because, Nintendo allowed up to three Bowsers per level. Do not care whether or not that the player will get height a height advantage. As long as they are not Fire Koopa Clown Cars, it'll be fine. And dying after defeating one or two makes the three reappear at full health when the player gets back to them. Fortunately, I never encountered this yet. But I have for singleton Bowsers.

But, besides those, adult Bowser in Yoshi's New Island, and some other Bowser battles I haven't played. All are good.
But, which one is the best one? Or ones? Super Mario Galaxy battles especially the final of the three, Bowletta of Superstar Saga, Bowser + Paper Bowser + Shiny RoboBowser of Paper Jam, and Bowser X of Bowser's Inside Story. I would also like to say Dark Bowser of Bowser's Inside Story, but the player is fighting as Bowser. So, I will give it the best battle with the player as Bowser.

FrostyPhoenix said:
But the award for the lamest Bowser fight has to go to...

this is the only correct answer, per NanoPhoenix, was a little late

and arguably worse than Super Mario Galaxy 2 because at least Super Mario Galaxy 2 had nice music and the rest of the game didn't suck as hard.

If you guys want to count spin-offs PM64 was a really good one too. It was challenging and had da best Bowsah musik.

Buuut maybe I should shut up until I play all the other Mario RPGs (the only others I've played are SMRPG which was bad and SPM which was meh) and fight their Bowsers.

Haven't played Color Splash, unfortunately, as it seems like a great game from what I've seen from it (aka the whole game) and I gotta say, I was on the edge of my seat when the guy playing got to the Bowser battle's second phase and that organ music started playing. Seriously, that music is honestly ten times better than the final boss theme from the first game, even if the latter gets remastered.

Back