Visual Development (N' stuff like that)

YoshiSan

Dripping with sarcasm
I want to be a visual developer/character designer "when I grow up" (17 is that awkward stage lol) and so I try to do a lot of art that has to do with that career.
Because of that, I don't normally decide "today I'm going to sit down and draw Mario." Most of these drawings are accidents or ideas that I wouldn't let go of- and had to get out of my head so I could continue designing something original.
For example, this piece that I drew just a few minutes ago. I was exploring options for a character totally unrelated, and I had my shapes laid out and suddenly said "Sheesh, that looks like Luigi!"
Thus why he has glasses.
luigi.png

So here's a couple other things I did, most of you probably saw them previously:
Shape language experiment:
mariosketch.png

This would not leave my head for weeks:
mario.jpg

Saw Dave Rapoza's Wolverine drawing and knew I had to try it with Captain Falcon. Not super original, but fun:
20180608_220642-205710360.png

Are you interested in storyboarding?

Russian Baby Luigi said:
Are you interested in storyboarding?

That is a skill I'm interested in learning, yes. As a career option- probably not, but then again, I haven't tried it. There's a class by Kris Pearn I can take and I really should do that as soon as I can.

Lord Bowser said:
hot dang that is some skill

really like the fox/mario mashup in particular

Aww, thanks! Hopefully I will find another idea for a painting in the future.

Moldomré said:
Was Fox/Mario done by hand?

Um... yes? Like you mean by not tracing or anything? Yeah! I did it on digital, I'm not like, this amazing oil artist or something. Digital is way easier for painting stuff. Here's some screenshots I took while I was working on it:

It started out like this: (A veritable Mona Lisa, I know.)
1.png

And then like this:
4.png

And this:

7.png

And then at some point I decided that I wanted to work in a warmer color.
10.png

Last one before I started coloring it:
12.png

Rough color. I separated all the different value layers so that I could blop color in. I work on just one layer in the beginning but stuff like that really comes in handy at this stage.
13.png

And then boom
16.png

Boom
18.png

And boom. A pass in Lightroom because I can't paint right, and I'm done.
19final.jpg

Heh, I love it when artists lay out their workflow step by step, it's really fascinating to see how it started out and evolved into the final picture.

A A A A A A A A A A A A A A A A A

That's me being amazed by the way.

Isabelle said:
A A A A A A A A A A A A A A A A A

That's me being amazed by the way.

Thanks, I appreciate that.
I moved to the modern century and have an Instagram and Twitter now. Can check out those links in my sig. I have one thing on Instagram and it's not that great, but if you stay tuned, I will hopefully get some solid designs done. I want to post once a week, at least.
All of my old stuff is on my Wordpress.

I've noticed that you have a colour version of the Captain Falcon image as your avatar, do you have a full version of that, or is just the part in your avatar that you have a colour version of?

Jack Black said:
I've noticed that you have a colour version of the Captain Falcon image as your avatar, do you have a full version of that, or is just the part in your avatar that you have a colour version of?

Yeah that was just for the avatar. I uploaded the black and white version when I signed up, and then decided that it was too bland, so I brought it into Photoshop and slapped a couple of color layers on it and some lens flares in his eyes.
Edit: there was always this piece of fan art that I really liked that did blue and pink on Captain Falcon so I decided to do that.

Mario looks like he has a four o clock shadow (whatever that term is) so I'm wondering if there's a way to reduce that illusion, as that's an unintentional effect.

Mario's Drunken Holiday Special said:
Mario looks like he has a four o clock shadow (whatever that term is) so I'm wondering if there's a way to reduce that illusion, as that's an unintentional effect.

Having taken a class under Jason Seiler, in which we painted realistic portraits, part of the observations drawn about men's faces is that they tend to appear bluish/greenish on the chin because of the hair underneath. I generally paint dudes that way and this was not unintentional at all. However, yes, I probably was too heavy-handed with it on Mario. Something to watch out for next time!

I was practicing hands and then I decided that it's Master Hand so
masterhand.png

I think the pinkie is too skinny, come to think of it.

You just have to draw hands a lot to get better at them and probably understand their anatomy.

Anyhow, Master Hand is based on a girly hand :)

Moldomré said:
YoshiSan said:
I think the pinkie is too skinny, come to think of it.

Good grief I hate drawing hands. Either they're bad or they're really bad.

LGM is right, you have to practice a lot. I actually am quite obsessive about bones and muscles when it comes to understanding things, so I actually am in the process of drawing and learning hand bones. I think that helps a lot.

So I was working on some turns today, for an original character. I have a love-hate relationship with turns. Trying to get better at those.
But then I felt the need to start working on something really, really fun.
So we have the beginnings of a hopefully terrifying Bowser from World of Light- red eyes galore.
21.png

So. You guys get to watch this one in real time!

Edit: actually, I might not post until it's done, so let me know if you want to see the process or if you'd rather wait for full effect.

So a lot changed today- I had a whole hour to work on it!

31.png

I like where it's going. I need to work on the lighting more and set it up so that his red eye is the crowning feature.

Also, I'm not sure about his tongue. It might get chopped or painted out altogether. I'll have to mess with it more tomorrow.

OK, here's tonight's batch of work:

Clipped his tongue back, made his eye more creepy, did some all-around work, and wrote a note that there's going to be that yellow goop from World of Light spraying everywhere.
4.png

Then I flipped it around- I kinda like it better that way. Then I started adding a rough color layout instead of just jumping straight into it. I'll use that to help me figure out what Bowser's skin colors are going to be in that lighting.
6.png

Back