Would you ever want the Double Dash style to return?

Cell

Perfect
Pronouns
Kie/Mer
Mario Kart Double Dash is generally agreed to be a good game, slipperyness aside, but the specific type of Kart racing from it has yet to return, so if you had the choice, would you bring it back?

I think a thing to consider here is that Mario Kart itself has changed since Double Dash, with Retro Courses, flying and underwater sections and anti-gravity, I feel this might be the reason it hasn't returned besides wanting to keep Double Dash itself unique, I think it shouldn't be the outright main focus, but a mode for it can be fun.

MarioLuigiDD0.png

Yes! For some reason, I regard Double Dash as my favorite game, so I'd love to see the two-player mechanic return. I know not everyone likes it and prefers the lame single-player karts, but maybe there can be a special Double Dash mode in the next game.

Yes. Double Dash style should return as a separate mode, and also improved.

Not particularly. I find it more of a gimmick than any kind of substantial addition.

I wouldn't be upset if it did return, but I wouldn't be upset if it didn't. I don't really feel that the two characters per kart mechanic added much to the gameplay, so I don't really see much point in bringing it back.

I'd only welcome if they made it *much* deeper. Like giving different characters their own attributes and effects on the stats beside power-ups and weight, etc. As it is, Double Dash's system is very shallow.

Double Dash!! was good during its time, but it's not a system that I'd bother bringing back. The way that the special items were handled wasn't too good, because certain characters received very good special items (such as the Giant Banana for Donkey Kong and Diddy Kong), while others were not so fortunate.

I'm not a fan of the co-op system implemented in Double Dash all that well. It all amounts to one character sitting in the back of the kart waiting for the occasional red shell to spawn to throw an item back at it or waiting for ramps to put a banana on. Oh and flicking the control stick to drift. LGM and I would rather actually race separately most of the time because the CPUs in this game are a joke.

I like being able to pair up with Baby Mario...but I lauded the ability to play as Baby Luigi solo when Mario Kart Wii eventually came around.

I love the Fusion Kart from Mario Kart Arcade GP DX, though. It allows solo driving but also you merge together when you're in the same team, except you're in a goddamn invincible tank and you can spam items and crap (but you can't mini-turbo, its biggest weakness). It's a bit overpowered against the CPU and because it's meant for an arcade experience rather than console, probably wouldn't translate as well if it were in console so it needs a lot of tweaks. But I still love the concept more than the Double Dash style to return because it felt more engaging.

I like Double Dash. Although I am 17 and Double Dash was the Mario Kart I grew up with...
Would I want to see it return? Yes. I want to try racing with Rosalina and DK in the same kart. I also always liked the mechanics of switching characters before hitting an item block depending on what I wanted. Although I always raced with the Koopa Troopa and Paratroopa, so there wasn't much variety in my items, anyway.

I absolutely, really want this in the next Mario Kart game. I want it as a special mode that works with both karts and bikes. It could be like Road Rash, especially with the bikes.

I really love Double Dash a lot and still consider it the best Mario Kart game of all time.

Back