The first person shooter thread

Glowsquid

Shine Sprite
Retired Forum Mod
Retired Wiki Staff
'Shroom Consultant
Love 'em or hate 'em, the first person shooter has been a staple of the video game industry since Doom quantifiably reduced the productivity of the American workplace and it's here to stay. I noticed there are some budding ego-shooter fans on this board, so wheter you want to talk old school key hunts, mil sims or Half Life-style cinematic shooters, they are welcomed! Also welcomed is discussions of quote-unquote immersive sims such as Deus Ex and System Shock

-What is your favourite FPS?

-What FPS are you playing currently?

-What subgenre do you prefer? Tactical shooters? Historical? "old school"? modern linear thrill rides?

Eeeeeeeeeee!!!

Left 4 Dead 2 fangirl for life!! I love hammy shooters that don't take themselves too seriously, with characters often making light of a terrible situation in Left 4 Dead 2 or just killing a bunch of demons in Doom. I like when the overall mood of the game is "let's just kill all damn enemies", feeling like a badass.

It's a huge shame that shooting games that feature couch co-op multiplayer against bots (or PVE styled gameplay) is such a rare sight these days. If I can't play local with my twin without having to buy two copies of the game, it's a pretty bad deal for me. One of the reasons I enjoy 007: Nightfire was teaming up with my twin to take down Jaws and his cronies, especially while piloting little mini helicopters or blowing them up with the Sentinel (which is my favorite weapon of all time).

Right now, I'm currently playing Left 4 Dead 2 with my twin again. Our game is modified to the point where it's extremely ridiculous, and there's so much cool things you can do with sourcemod that you can't do with vanilla versions of the game. So I guess my preferred genre is, uh, one where I can team up with my twin against bots, in an arcadey fashion.

Russian Baby Luigi said:
It's a huge shame that shooting games that feature couch co-op multiplayer against bots (or PVE styled gameplay) is such a rare sight these days.

The Call of Duty games (specifically: the first Black Ops and every games since Black Ops II) have surprisingly robust bots support and 2-player split screen on consoles. Bots are playable in every mode and even have basic "personalities" (ones with snipers like to camp by windows, etc).

I'll also say Survival in MW3 is the best side mode in any video game. Ever.

I steered clear of first-person shooters though I did play the occasional DOOM when I was younger. It's worth to try that out. I want to try out the mods someday, particularly the ones with Mario on them.

My favorite first-person shooter is definitely Left 4 Dead 2. The only reason I got it was that the Mario mods were hilarious and the hammy voice acting sealed the deal for me. I got into the game pretty late because initially, zombies just didn't appeal to me. Too violent and too gory and scary. The game freaked me out a bit, and I still remember hearing swears in the game surprised me as I was really accustomed to "cleaner" language in games (at the time)/ The gameplay is really solid. And the genre it has, being an asymmetrical co-op shooter, isn't that common on the market, but demand is there. I want to try out Warhammer 2, Vermintide, which is described as Left 4 Dead with a melee focus (and it also has deliciously hammy voice acting). I also heard about Earthfall, though that one seemed to be disappointing for its lack of content and its rubbish sound design. Yes, Left 4 Dead 2 also doesn't have much content, but it has mods that add on so much to the game, including new maps, and they're all free.

So, I'm currently playing Left 4 Dead 2 a lot and our version is a weird experience.

Payday 2 is another co-op shooter though I'm not sure if it's similar enough.

Another game I go back to is Goldeneye: Nightfire, mainly for the multiplayer arena. Fun. We like shooting Jaws to death, and the Sentinel Missile is always fun to use, especially against the dumb bots in the snow level.

I think there's a bit of Overwatch players here and maybe some Team Fortress 2, though I myself am never big on arena shooters.

Anyhow, my favorite gun so far is the sniper, for the noise it makes and the scope is fun. Between shotguns and rifles, I'm not sure which I like more but if they both sound right, then they're great.

This is a weird question but I think games where characters yell satisfactorily when they die are the best ones. People normally don't account for it in sound design, but I do.

btw I'm still begging my sister to play Serious Sam a lot.

The FPS I played most recently was STRAFE® (Yes, that's how it's officially spelled). Fun, Gib-alicious Indie Roguelite that came out last year. Had a shit launch, but updates made it better. I heard the next update will upgrade the engine to the latest Unity (it currently uses a build that's two years old right now).

Speaking of Unity-powered retro-style FPS, Dusk is exactly what I've wanted for so long and I can't wait for episode 3. It perfectly matches the "action 'n' atmosphere"-style of all my favorites: Blood 1, Quake 1, and any Doom game that Aubrey Hodges was involved with.

I like shooters of all kinds. Right now I've been playing SWAT 4. A game to rooted in police procedure that shooting things is generally frowned upon unless you are fired on first.

Huh, there's a weird lack of games where you play as cops, right?

Mcmadness said:
I like shooters of all kinds. Right now I've been playing SWAT 4. A game to rooted in police procedure that shooting things is generally frowned upon unless you are fired on first.

I always mean to pick up that game when GOG puts it up on sale but always forget to. I've been interested in trying actual tactical shooters and the earlier Rainbow Six but I'm not sure my grognard brain has the patience for them.

Princess Mario said:

There's a bunch though a good number of them don't involve shooting things in first person.

And now you remind me I really should get Urban Chaos: Riot Response

Princess Mario said:

Well, there are a fair amount where you play as cops but they are often of the "shoot em all" kind and that's often not what I'm looking for when it comes to police oriented games.

Glowsquid said:
I always mean to pick up that game when GOG puts it up on sale but always forget to. I've been interested in trying actual tactical shooters and the earlier Rainbow Six but I'm not sure my grognard brain has the patience for them.

Swat 4 is definitely more complex than rainbow six in that regard however the amount of replayability it has is great.

Just learned the first COD was released today.

Considering the, um, interesting turn the series took, it's kind of funny to think this is how the first ended

Reminder that I need to play a Call of Duty game someday.

I can rub it in my middle-high school self's face.

I fond of the early WW2 ones. After that the series mostly lost me.

Russian Baby Luigi said:
Reminder that I need to play a Call of Duty game someday.

I can rub it in my middle-high school self's face.

COD is an easy whipping boy due to beign the poster boy of everything wrong with AAA publishing but that doesn't change that everything from the original to World at War (and I'll probably extand that to the first Black Ops once I get to play it and MW2) are perfectly great and respectable games (except COD 3, that one is just mediocre). Though if you can only play one, play Modern Warfare.

You could say I have an... obsession

Dq7q3sJX0AEVDP1.jpg

That's what the habit of reloading for a full clip does to you, lol. Even if the reload animation is ungodly.

Oh my is that the SAW gun that I've seen on Garry's Mod with the insane magazine size?

Princess Mario said:
Oh my is that the SAW gun that I've seen on Garry's Mod with the insane magazine size?

Yeah, it's the COD 4 model

Has there ever been a better tribute video for a game's anniversary? Probably not.

im playing cod: world at war rn
computer/npcs are stupid as shit but slaughtering nazis for the motherland is a good feeling

I've seen my sister play some Serious Sam and I'm getting very strong DOOM vibes from it.

Back