Would you like Odyssey to be referenced more?

Koopa con Carne

call me Hot Lips, 'cause i'm a one-shot wonder
MarioWiki
Koopa con Carne
I think it should. The myth of Odysseus must remain alive in our collective spirit for as long as humans will tread the earth.

Ok, sorry. I obviously mean Super Mario Odyssey. It seems that the spin-offs that came after that game were less bothered to keep it relevant. Compare this to other mainline Mario games, which would leave a sort of "legacy" through future games. Super Mario 64 introduced the red eels, the Power Stars, and one of Bowser's most recognizable themes, and after Super Mario Sunshine, it was rare not to see Isle Delfino, Piantas and Toadsworth appearing throughout the GameCube era and even well into the Wii era. Another example is Super Mario Galaxy, which introduced Rosalina who became an important part of the Mario cast in virtually no time. Even the New Super Mario Bros. games helped reshape the Mario world into the puffy mellow happy-go-lucky world we see so often in spin-off games, especially Mario Party.

From Odyssey, the most we've got in other games were... Kleptos. In Mario Tennis Aces. And they don't even originate in that game; it's just that they use their new design. You'd think Pauline would rise to the likes of Rosalina and Princess Peach, and that knowledge of New Donk City would be as prevalent as Mushroom Kingdom or Delfino Plaza.

Instead, NSMB still seems to be oozing out of every pore of Mario's core after two generations. Super Mario Party seems to be an indication that the franchise is going to stay like that. IDK, it just seems weird to me that Odyssey didn't become as relevant as other games from the past, considering how fresh and diverse it felt.

Do you think Mario spin-off games have simply found their own identity that doesn't need to be tarnished by any new major game?

P.S.: I know Smash Ultimate is gonna feature many things from Odyssey, but that game is upfront referencing past games because it is part of its duty to do so.

In the future, I think it's likely that a select few things will be referenced, similar to previous games. I'd personally quite like to see Tostarenans return, and I think some of the new enemies also have a decent chance at coming back, such as Tropical Wigglers and Pokios. I think elements of the game which seem distinctly Mario will have a better chance of returning than, say, New Donkers, but at this point in time, it's hard to say really.

What's to gain from not referencing it more, huh?

Well I mean, I'm sure they'll reference it as much as they will any other recent Mario game?

Thats pretty standard procedure.

Thus far, many Mario games were left behind for one reason or another, and a lack of references made them largely forgotten. Sunshine was referenced a lot before Galaxy, after which it was essentially forgotten until Odyssey. And 3D World was hardly referenced at all (with a few exceptions). Not to mention how little reference the NSMB games get. Oh, and anyone who isn't a hardcore Mario fan (or an inhabitant of Japan) is bound to overlook The Lost Levels.

Let's keep Odyssey off of that list. Let it get all the references it wants, and we shall remember it for however long Mario may live on.

Mcmadness said:
Well I mean, I'm sure they'll reference it as much as they will any other recent Mario game?

Thats pretty standard procedure.

It's taking them too long.

Ghostly Yoshi said:
Thus far, many Mario games were left behind for one reason or another, and a lack of references made them largely forgotten. Sunshine was referenced a lot before Galaxy, after which it was essentially forgotten until Odyssey. And 3D World was hardly referenced at all (with a few exceptions). Not to mention how little reference the NSMB games get. Oh, and anyone who isn't a hardcore Mario fan (or an inhabitant of Japan) is bound to overlook The Lost Levels.

Let's keep Odyssey off of that list. Let it get all the references it wants, and we shall remember it for however long Mario may live on.

Many concepts from the NSMB games became endemic. Cooligans and Cheep Chomps, for example, became recurring species in the franchise after their debut in NSMB Wii. Characters who were brought back on board after a long hiatus, such as Koopalings and Spikes, saw the same treatment. Oh, and The Lost Levels gave the Poison Mushroom.

Uh, it's only been one year since Super Mario Odyssey is out. Give it some time, it was a while before Super Mario Galaxy got referenced.

Also, 2D platformers generally get referenced more than their main counterparts. It's pretty inevitable.

This thread is built on incorrect premises. Galaxy also took some time to get referenced a bit right after it came out.

Super Radio said:
Another example is Super Mario Galaxy, which introduced Rosalina who became an important part of the Mario cast in virtually no time.
Wrong. It took her several games and several years after she first appeared to become a regular. She was in Mario Kart, yes, but she remained absent in Mario Super Sluggers, she was absent in Fortune Street, she was absent in Mario Tennis Open (yet planned), she was absent in Mario Sports Mix, she was absent in Mario & Sonic at the Olympic Winter Games, she was absent in Mario Party 9, she barely had any role in both Super Mario Galaxy 2 and Mario Party: Island Tour, Super Smash Bros. Brawl had only a name-drop in the Chronicles (remember, Yoshi's Woolly World was a stage before the game came out in Smash 4). This coincides with barely any Super Mario Galaxy references in those games though Luma was in Tennis Open and we had the Observatory as a court. During those years from 2007 to 2013, I was actually wondering where Rosalina went and wanted her and Galaxy to be referenced in more games. What I'm seeing here, from the lack of immediate Super Mario Odyssey references in the spinoffs, it seems to be the same pattern that happened back in Odyssey.

Don't worry, we'll be seeing them, we just need more time.

Some of the enemies from recent games got referenced in recent Mario Party games.

3D Land has:
Peepas (later appearances: Island Tour, 10, Star Rush, Super)

NSMBU has:
Waddlewing (later appearances: Island Tour, 10)
Goombrat (later appearances: 10, Star Rush)
Grrrol (later appearances: 10, Super)

3D World has:
Conkdor (later appearances: Star Rush, Super)
Piranha Creeper (later appearance: Star Rush)
Walleye (later appearance: Super)

Enemies that brought back after long hiatus:
Galoomba (later appearances: 10, Star Rush, Super)
Chargin' Chuck (later appearance: Super)
Bony Beetle (later appearances: Island Tour, Super)
Sumo Bro (later appearance: Super)

One thing that Super Mario Odyssey is different compared to past Mario platformers is the fact that its post-game is practically infinite, thanks to the introduction of hide-and-seek through Luigi's Balloon World. I think the logic behind the lack of references in immediately-following games is how the game's setting can be freely revisited.

In due time references to this game will be visited, so I won't count that out.

Thank you for reading.

The simplest way for extention is bringing it to Mario vs DK titles where Pauline is the featured character, if Nintendo acknowledge it as part of the mainstream canon since the arcade era,

It would be nice to have New Donk City as background for most city-related scenes, since we technically got some of them in Kart before. It's just that Diamond City where Warioware took place rather lacks times of being referenced in Mario spinoffs.

Super Radio said:
It's taking them too long.

It's only like what, a year old? And there has only been like what, 2 games since it came out?

Back