Cool interview with DIC Mario writer Perry Martin

Glowsquid

Shine Sprite
Retired Forum Mod
Retired Wiki Staff
'Shroom Consultant
In September 2018, "Vantage Point Interviews", a blog devoted to interviewing people on the fringe of pop-culture, published a lenghty interview with freelance writer Perry Martin who had written multiple episodes for all three of DIC's Mario cartoons. In addition to being a surprisingly candid look at the behind-the-scenes of the cartoons and featuring the shocking revelation that Indiana Joe not having a face was in fact, *not* an animation error, it has a lot of never before-seen model sheets and background concept art for The Super Show!

This is relevant to my interests.

"The Koopa was described as a big, ugly, reptile with a personality like Don Rickles."

Well that probably explains why he was the most entertaining character on the show.

I love reading this, thanks for sharing. Also gives me insight on why they rely on stereotypes for writing characters, on such a constrained timespan, who wouldn't?

Well that was DIC for you. Quick, cheap and rushed productions to cash in on a popular thing at the time.

I'm real curious which show this anecdote is reffering to...

DoyiE6EWwAEfC93.jpg:large

Ripping off a popular character from a show that was only 2 years old at the time like that would've been really brazen

"Don't have a cowsaur man."

Back