Could the next Mario Kart game go in Super Smash Bros. Ultimate's direction?

Do you suppose that the next Mario Kart game could receive the Super Smash Bros. Ultimate treatment?

• Yes

Votes: 4 36.4%
  • No

Votes: 7 63.6%

• Total voters

Rin Nelek

Goomba
I'd hope not. Such a Mario Kart game, which might be the last one in the main series, would focus heavily on extremely aggressive racing/battling (only overpowered items would appear, and at a frequent basis), bringing back every single racer, track, and mode from previous iterations (barring arcade and mobile games). This sounds like a good idea, but it'd be nasty and overflowed. However, because I can't speak for Nintendo, I'm afraid that this is what the next Mario Kart will be like.

Why on earth would it focus on "extremely aggressive" items and races? That's just the thing, Mario Kart isn't Smash. I can see them maaaaybe going with all characters, items, and courses, but nah. This isn't happening.

Not because Smash Ultimate will be a big game that all games are gonna follow it. Every type of game is its own thing.

Chances are, that won't be happening. Donkey Kong Jr. has been abandoned for a long time, and I find it doubtful that Nintendo has any plans to bring him back.

Ghostly Yoshi said:
Mario Kart 8 Deluxe already transformed Mario Kart 8 into the definitive Mario Kart. We don't need "Mario Kart Ultimate" or anything like that.
I do hope you meant the definitive version of Mario Kart 8, because neither of the games are anywhere close to being the best in the series.

Shy Guy on Wheels said:
Ghostly Yoshi said:
Mario Kart 8 Deluxe already transformed Mario Kart 8 into the definitive Mario Kart. We don't need "Mario Kart Ultimate" or anything like that.
I do hope you meant the definitive version of Mario Kart 8, because neither of the games are anywhere close to being the best in the series.
Just so you know, Mario Kart 8 Deluxe has the third-highest review scores in the series...Super Circuit has the second-highest, and Super Mario Kart has the highest. Both are pretty old at this point, so I think it's safe to say that the popular opinion is that Mario Kart 8 Deluxe is the best Mario Kart.

Shy Guy on Wheels said:
Why would you trust Video Game critics?
They're a lot more trustworthy than most user reviews, I'll tell you that. Yes, it's ultimately all up to opinion whether a game is good or not (for example, I think Ultra Smash and Yoshi's New Island are good games, contrary to critics), but I've seen a few critics put aside their subjective opinions about the games, and rate them lower than they would like to. (See the IGN review for NSMBW for an example). User reviews never do that. Some critics can be biased, sure, but there are some critics, like IGN, for instance, that I think are far more reliable than any user reviews.

Mario Kart has nowhere near the *ahem* "aggressive following" that smash bros has when it comes to it's character roster.

Ghostly Yoshi said:

Not really. While Mario Kart 8 Deluxe's Battle Mode is much better, the game as a whole really isn't any better than Mario Kart 8 if you are/were one of the Wii U owners; the GP tracks are exactly the same, no item spy, the Boo item (absent in Mario Kart 8) can take away your defenses, double items increase the amount of item chaos, and the stat balance for the characters and vehicle parts is worse.

Sure, this all may be debatable to some, but as a person who has played the original Mario Kart 8, Mario Kart 8 Deluxe's better Battle Mode just isn't tempting enough for me.

Yo said:
Ghostly Yoshi said:
V of Doom said:
im the only one who likes the mario kart ultimate idea ._.
You have to remember that Mario Party also got the "ultimate" treatment...and it didn't come out so great.

Which Mario Party are you referring to?
Mario Party: The Top 100. It literally says "The Ultimate Party Package" on the back, but its reception was mediocre at best.

I hold the unpopular opinion that Mario Kart 7 has the best battle mechanics in the series

Even after playing quite a bit of 8 Deluxe's battle mode, I really can't stand sliding back and forth when I'm braking.

Russian Baby Luigi said:
I hold the unpopular opinion that Mario Kart 7 has the best battle mechanics in the series
From the ones I've played, I agree with you there. I quite liked some of the battle courses too.

As for the original question, I don't think it's likely that they'd do an every character, item, course etc. thing there. For characters, you've got Donkey Kong Jr., who seems to have disappeared off the face of the Earth, R.O.B., who has no real relation to the Mario Kart series, Honey Queen, who's fairly obscure and I'm amazed who got into Mario Kart 7 in the first place, plus the debate over whether arcade characters get in. Every track would be quite hard to do, there's over one hundred that they'd have to get in, and I don't think that's realistically possible in the near future, particularly if they attempt to spruce them up like they did in Mario Kart 8. There are also some items that I don't think anyone particularly misses (i.e. the Thunder Cloud), though some form of every mode may be interesting.
I doubt they'd pull a Mario Kart Ultimate though, there's just a few too many things that probably shouldn't/won't/don't need to come back.

I don't get what you mean by the aggressive racing stuff though- fighting is kind of the point of the Super Smash Bros. games, the clue's in the title.

I hold the unpopular opinion that battle mode was never very good.

I don't even understand why this thread is raising the question that it's raising. Or what "Super Smash Bros. Ultimate's direction" is supposed to mean.

Mcmadness said:
I hold the unpopular opinion that battle mode was never very good.
No it always has some flaws in it. Seriously, every one of them.

All prior Battle Modes are extremely limited in what they can do so they're automatically ranked lower than the following.

Mario Kart DS has probably the least obvious problems (and you even have some control over which teammates can be on the other team if you can press L and R to switch teams. Unfortunately, it's survival based and you can easily abuse having one balloon, taking an item, pumping all balloons, and then using all your red shells or stars to demolish one person. Matches can get very drawn out, especially on the overrated block fort. Also, aiming with green shells is complete ass along with the bad hit detection, and Tart Top makes me want to tear my bulbous nose off. Also, the download play is crappy, with your being forced to use Shy Guy and you're even more limited in what courses you can play. Also, EVERY track has the same track, holy poop.

Mario Kart Wii is the opposite: it forces you into teams and it has bullshit items like Spiny Shells (seriously). The invincibility from other teammates is a hit and miss. The worst part is in multiplayer, NPCs don't even make any noises at all, which is odd because in racing, they do make noises.

Mario Kart 7 is marred by the lack of any options such as setting the timer. Wireless play/download play is complete ass by just being ripped off from online: unnecessary timers everywhere, no way to reshuffle the teams), and no way to pause. Download play is more assy. That being said, it improved on Mario Kart Wii's by having a more flexible item system, the respawn time is much quicker, and you can choose between free-for-all and team battle. Lucky 7 Red Shell is retarded though.

Mario Kart 8 has a bad team selection process. The rest of it is self-explanatory, but it's survival based with huuuuuge tracks and a very unforgiving lack of invincibility frames. A lot of items can swiftly dispatch three balloons, and they're not even uncommon such as Triple Shells and Fireballs and Boomerangs. When it's chaotic, the survival-based system ensures you're going to go ghost pretty quickly and people can secure really good leads by abusing the lack of invincibility frames. The ghosts suck, and the huge track makes it so it drags a lot later in the match. A lot of the problems can be circumvented if it wasn't survival based, IMO, and the resawn invincibility was a thing.

Mario Kart 8 Deluxe is a return back on the original stuff, more or less, but it has that stupid sliding mechanic from the original, which is more useful when you're on a race track, but annoying and intrusive in arenas and not that useful. The item system is a step back from Mario Kart 8, having even less customization. Most of the tracks are okay I guess. The time limit being here is nice. Renegade Roundup is the only battle mode I really dislike. Overall, it's fun but I still feel Mario Kart 7's version is still better. Also, it's annoying to keep on shuffling enemies. Why are we forced through this randomizer? Why not let us pick our opponents?

S'yeah, none of them are really good and it feels like whenever they ironed out stuff, they decided to wrinkle other things.

I never thought I'd say this...but I'm rather glad that the majority of you are against this rather arbitrary concept. However, I don't think I'm allowed to explain exactly why I brought this topic up, since this board is restricted for Mario-related content (I'd have to use the Super Smash Bros. board instead to voice my concerns).

You can shoot your opinions, the rules aren't horribly strict. If it's more convenient for this thread, I don't think the moderators will complain.

Princess Mario said:
You can shoot your opinions, the rules aren't horribly strict. If it's more convenient for this thread, I don't think the moderators will complain.

Thanks, but I'd start a new topic about my concerns elsewhere, as they apply to other games in general (derailing topics is never appreciated in any forum). :-X

Back