Any way to use Wiimmfi patches without homebrewing my Wii?

YoshiFlutterJump

Power Star
MarioWiki
YoshiFlutterJump
I've been interested in playing Wii games like Mario Kart Wii online, but Nintendo Wi-Fi's been long dead and I have to install Wiimmfi patches to play online. They seem to require the Homebrew Channel.

The problem is, I don't want to install any unlicensed software on my Wii. I put Riivolution on an SD card so I could play NewerSMBW, but that doesn't seem to be an option here. Any way to use those Wiimmfi patches on my Wii...without installing anything?

You have to use the Homebrew Channel for use with Wiimmfi and Wii mods in general, unless otherwise stated (eg Project M)

I'll try the Internet Channel exploit, then. If it doesn't work, I guess I'll have to live with Homebrew.

Are there any potential risks to installing homebrew? My warranty expired back in 2010, and system updates have long been done. But the last thing I want is for my Wii to be bricked because of Homebrew.

If you follow the instructions as they are, the chance of bricking is remote to the point where you don't have to worry about it.

Russian Baby Luigi said:
If you follow the instructions as they are, the chance of bricking is remote to the point where you don't have to worry about it.
Okay, that's nice to hear. I don't plan on installing many mods other than the Wiimmfi patches, but I'll see how it goes. Thanks!

Keep in mind this: any time you update your console, there's always a risk of bricking it, even official updates can cause bricks.

(of course there was the crappy Wii menu 4.2 which was a disaster and bricked many consoles because of how shoddily it was implemented)

Russian Baby Luigi said:
Keep in mind this: any time you update your console, there's always a risk of bricking it, even official updates can cause bricks.

(of course there was the crappy Wii menu 4.2 which was a disaster and bricked many consoles because of how shoddily it was implemented)
The last update was in 2010, though. I don't think that's a concern.

One last question: is there any way to remove the Homebrew Channel once it's installed? If I'm going to mod my Wii, I don't really want it to have permanent effects.

Yes, you can uninstall it as you can any app. I even uninstalled it when I sent my Wii for repair and didn't even void the warranty.

All right then, it seems that Homebrew is perfectly safe. I'll be sure to download those Wiimmfi patches. Thanks!

EDIT: I downloaded the Internet Channel and used the Wiimmfi exploit, and it works perfectly. Haven't found too many compatible games to play (except Mario Sports Mix where literally no one is online), but it works just fine. Wiimmfi even enabled me to complete that now-impossible achievement in Mario & Sonic London 2012 (Top of the World)!

With that, I'll request that this topic be locked and moved to "resolved".

Back