Varying Mario Character Sizes

Parakoopa144

a delicious beverage
Hey, here's a little thing I noticed while I was playing Mario Kart 7.

As you probably know, MK7 has arguably the strangest character roster in any Mario game. The first 8 characters are pretty normal, being Mario, Luigi, Toad, DK, Peach, Bowser, Yoshi, and this time, instead of Wario, we get Koopa Troopa. Pretty normal stuff.

The 8 unlockable characters are recieved by winning each of the 150cc Cups. The first 4 are also really normal, Shy Guy, Daisy, Wario (he wasn't gone for long!), and Rosalina. Why am I making such a big deal out of this seemingly bland roster? Because of the last 4.
Lakitu, Honey Queen, Metal Mario, and most importantly for this top, Wiggler. All these characters are bizzare in ways that are pretty self explanatory, but Wiggler interests me the most.

Whew! After that whole rant, the point is, that Maple Treeway, from MKWii is in this game, and Wiggler is playable, and this means that there are 2 DRASTICALLY different sizes of Wigglers, so just how far does this go? What other instances are there of wild character sizes are there, and do you think its worth doccumenting all these? Share your thoughts, and other crazy character size variants here!

Wiggler is the most unusual one? I thought it was Honey Queen.

Wiggler already was playable in Power Tennis and he worked just right there.

Besides, Bowser has probably undergone the biggest size changes, it changes in every different type of Mario game.

Honey Queen is really weird yeah, but for me, Wiggler wins, because you can pick Wiggler, hop into Maple Treeway, and just cruise on up to a Wiggler thats at least, like 40 times bigger than you!

Yeah ok, I can see that.

Yeah it is pretty weird, but then again, this is Mayro.

Lucario said:
Yeah ok, I can see that.

Yeah it is pretty weird, but then again, this is Mayro.
I just love finding little things in Mario games like this, and trying to stitch together continunity, its really fun to me!

Lucario said:
Besides, Bowser has probably undergone the biggest size changes, it changes in every different type of Mario game.

Different type of game nothing. Odyssey has him change size within the same cutscene.

Still goes to show that his size is really the most inconsistent.

I loved that you could get hit by the roller coasters in Baby Park by him in Double Dash, cause he was so tall!

I kinda think if Madame Broode from Mario Odyssey is playable in a spin-off or something, Nintendo would definitely shrink her, just like Honey Queen.

Fawful is too big in BIS. He looks normal next to Bowser, but that's because Bowser is much bigger than Mario and Luigi so there'd still be contrast in size between his and Fawful's sprite. Put Fawful's sprite next to Mario and well...

udpTKXX.png

He still looks small compared to Bowser, but he should be also smaller compared to Mario as seen with the SSS sprites (Bowser isn't shown there because his SSS sprite is not to proper scale either. Fawful's hood is cropped as well since it's not present in his BIS outfit, compared to Mario's hat which he always wears)

I'm hoping they can nail the detail Fawful has in BIS without making him as big as Mario in the remake.

Parakoopa144 said:
I loved that you could get hit by the roller coasters in Baby Park by him in Double Dash, cause he was so tall!
My god that was a thing? Never happened when I was playing as him. That's hilarious.

Yeah, I tried to find a clip of it, but no luck. If you have the game, you should give it a whirl.

I don't know if this counts, but I always thought this was weird, these are the weight classes of some MK characters, as they appear in MK8 and MK8D.

Baby Peach - Light
Baby Daisy - Light
Baby Rosalina - Light

Peach - Medium
Daisy - Medium
Rosalina - Heavy?

I guess we know where the cake in New Super Mario Bros. Wii went. The Koopalings got out of there just in time!

"weight" class is misleading; size, however makes a tad more sense

But Wario somehow weighs more the DK, as he's both smaller AND put in a heavier class than DK. Huh.

Parakoopa144 said:
I don't know if this counts, but I always thought this was weird, these are the weight classes of some MK characters, as they appear in MK8 and MK8D.

Baby Peach - Light
Baby Daisy - Light
Baby Rosalina - Light

Peach - Medium
Daisy - Medium
Rosalina - Heavy?

Mario Kart Wii sorts characters by size instead of weight. That's probably one of the few Mario Kart titles that doesn't sort characters by weight.

You know what's weird, Daisy is listed as medium in Mario Kart DS, but Peach is light.

daisy is fatter than peach

Parakoopa144 said:
Yeah, I tried to find a clip of it, but no luck. If you have the game, you should give it a whirl.

Baby Peach - Light
Baby Daisy - Light
Baby Rosalina - Light

Peach - Medium
Daisy - Medium
Rosalina - Heavy?

I guess we know where the cake in New Super Mario Bros. Wii went. The Koopalings got out of there just in time!

???????

the 3 babies have the exact same size and body type while the adult Peach and Daisy are similar and Rosalina is bigger than both hence being heavier.

Taller people are often heavier than smaller people even if they look just as skinny, bone size matters , and even if Rosalina was the same weight as them she is still bigger and needs a larger vehicle.

But i guess common sense has been thrown out of the window when it comes to this as nobody seems to ever point out how a literal ghost (aka King Boo) is also in the heavy class , it's always the Rosalina thing which has become dumb at this point. Much like Rosalina King Boo is also bigger and needs a bigger vehicle even if her literally weights nothing.

Russian Baby Luigi said:
daisy is fatter than peach
I say it's muscle mass (just like my headcanon of how Birdo always has a weight bonus due to muscle mass, if her batting power is anything to go by).

I really love how Mario Kart 7 gave us a bigger variety of weight classes. Yoshi, Peach, and Daisy are light, while the previous small characters are featherweights. Though Bowser Jr. in MK8D is an interesting case. He went from small in MKDD to medium in MKW. But now he's a lightweight in a small vehicle again. :koopa: What's the truth?

Back