Poll

Which of these should be the new playable characters?

Captain Toad
2 (6.1%)
Toadette
7 (21.2%)
Peachette
0 (0%)
Daisy
5 (15.2%)
Nabbit
3 (9.1%)
Sprixies
3 (9.1%)
Waluigi
8 (24.2%)
others
5 (15.2%)

Total Members Voted: 17

Author Topic: Do you expect a port for SM 3D World in Switch?  (Read 1724 times)

Dream Stone Spirit

• Dry Bowser
  • YoshiFlutterJump
  • Fine! I'll be happy to...NOT TELL YOU!
    • View Profile
Re: Do you expect a port for SM 3D World in Switch?
« Reply #20 on: September 26, 2018, 12:30:21 PM »
Including that one thing people seem to be afraid of mentioning for some reason *cough*Peachette*cough*
Peachette is unnecessary when Peach is already playable.

Shygul

• Nikaido Saki
  • Donkey Kong
    • View Profile
    • my new website plz check it out and share on facebook
« Reply #21 on: September 26, 2018, 12:50:59 PM »
make bowsette playable or gtfo

Cuphead

• Cup boi
  • Dry Bowser
  • Toadgamer
  • So, that stuff in my head is apparently milk.
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 27, 2018, 12:03:13 PM »
I guess Mario 3D world would be kinda good to have a port, but I don't know what new features it could get. Captain Toad already got the Odyssey levels.

MnSG

• Shine Sprite
  • Cosmic Beauty
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: September 27, 2018, 12:32:11 PM »
Pretty much no. Some courses require the player to use the GamePad and/or microphone, with the latter not being supported on the Nintendo Switch.
captain toad had all of those elements as well and still made it to switch, so this isnt really a valid reason for it to not come

Still, it's not worth it, because 3D World would have to compete with the much more successful Super Mario Odyssey (which sold as many as 9.07 million copies by the end of 2017). Nintendo would end up hurting itself if it ports a game that will inevitably sell much worse than its Switch-exclusive titles.

Yukiho Hagiwara

• Ace Idol
  • Star Spirit
  • Epic Nitwit
    • View Profile
    • Backloggery
« Reply #24 on: September 27, 2018, 05:43:51 PM »
...i, uh, literally talked about why i disagree with that line of reasoning in the exact same post that you quoted
i dont care if you disagree with me, but if you're trying to have a cohesive back and forth with someone it helps if you actually read all the stuff they say so nobody has to repeat themselves

J — Pony Disguise

• J-Yoshi64
  • Dry Bowser
  • J-Yoshi64
  • Always remembering Walkazo
    • View Profile
    • DeviantArt
« Reply #25 on: September 27, 2018, 05:55:25 PM »
I voted Daisy, Waluigi, and the Sprixies.

If 3D World does get ported to the Switch, I will bet my Switch that people who have Wii U will get angry (as usual), while peons like my who never had a Wii U will jump at the chance to finally be able to play these games.
May Walkazo always be remembered on MarioWiki for years to come.
Follow me because I'm not a narcissist: https://twitter.com/JYoshi64 https://www.deviantart.com/just-call-me-j

« Reply #26 on: October 15, 2018, 11:42:23 PM »
There's no major mechanics that are tied to the Wii U gamepad (some of the enemies can be interracted with by the touch screen but they can still be defeated in other ways), all the Wii U to Switch ports are selling very well and people are actually asking for this one. No way it isn't happening

I haven't played it in a while so I might be wrong here, but doesn't that game have those platforms where you have to blow into the microphone part of the Wii U gamepad to move the platforms? I don't think the Switch gamepad has that feature, so how would that work?

They replace them with platforms that don't need the microphone

In other words, they could replace the Propeller Platforms with Lifts like they did with the Nintendo Switch version of "Captain Toad: Treasure Tracker."

王馬 小吉

• It's a lie! Nee-heehee! (Artwork by @phantomorrow)
  • Shy Guy
  • ルイージ
  • bro hug collector and local Dream Team stan
    • View Profile
    • Writing Tumblr
« Reply #27 on: October 16, 2018, 03:46:38 AM »
Expect it yes, want it no.

3D World was designed with the Wii U in mind and actively uses the mechanics of the Wii U more than people think. The touchpad is extremely useful in several levels and the microphone is necessary in others, neither of which the Switch has. Yes, these things may be adapted, but you'd still have to lose part of them because the touchpad is used for more than just platforms; it's used for keeping enemies still, it's used for grabbing powerups early, it's used for bumping blocks that you don't reach early, etc. None of this could be replicated on the Switch at all, only the bare necessity of the platforms.

To be honest, I'm not really a big fan of the Wii U repetitive ports in general, but that's more of a personal gripe than anything. I'd prefer if Nintendo just made new games straight up. It's great for Switch owners who never owned a Wii U, but for those who do have it it's just redundant.

I don't think porting it would bring anything new and would, if anything, strip away from the original game simply because the Switch is so different from the Wii U.

Marie

• The best squid girl
  • Dry Bowser
  • Luigi 64DD
  • If you find any good Marie fanart, send it here!
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: October 16, 2018, 02:46:16 PM »
3D World was designed with the Wii U in mind and actively uses the mechanics of the Wii U more than people think. The touchpad is extremely useful in several levels and the microphone is necessary in others, neither of which the Switch has. Yes, these things may be adapted, but you'd still have to lose part of them because the touchpad is used for more than just platforms; it's used for keeping enemies still, it's used for grabbing powerups early, it's used for bumping blocks that you don't reach early, etc. None of this could be replicated on the Switch at all, only the bare necessity of the platforms.
In my opinion, those mechanics are very nonessential. You can easily play the entire game without the gamepad with the exception of the levels that involve moving platforms with the touchpad or the microphone (both of which can be replaced). The other stuff like stunning enemies feels like they only added them so that the gamepad would actually do something unique in the majority of levels, so I think it could be removed without taking anything from the experience of the game.

Credit to several artists for my avatars, see this post. Also click the above image for nice music!
Userpage | Ask | Art

Shy Guy on Wheels

• Definitely on Wheels
  • King Bowser
  • Octagon?
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: October 16, 2018, 02:49:03 PM »
it doesn't matter because it's a bad game

Dream Stone Spirit

• Dry Bowser
  • YoshiFlutterJump
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: October 16, 2018, 02:55:40 PM »
No, it's not.  It's a masterpiece of a game.

Shy Guy on Wheels

• Definitely on Wheels
  • King Bowser
  • Octagon?
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: October 16, 2018, 03:03:59 PM »
your opinion is wrong, and I will now ignore you

Mcmadness

• Power Star
  • The idiot who puts things in the wrong board.
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: October 16, 2018, 03:22:21 PM »

If that's a bad game I don't think I want to know what you consider to be a good one.
Thank you for taking the time to read this sig. This sig loves you.

Marie

• The best squid girl
  • Dry Bowser
  • Luigi 64DD
  • If you find any good Marie fanart, send it here!
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: October 16, 2018, 03:57:12 PM »
No, it's not.  It's a masterpiece of a game.
And I am right in the middle of you two. I think it's not a bad game, but it could be much better.

Credit to several artists for my avatars, see this post. Also click the above image for nice music!
Userpage | Ask | Art

王馬 小吉

• It's a lie! Nee-heehee! (Artwork by @phantomorrow)
  • Shy Guy
  • ルイージ
  • bro hug collector and local Dream Team stan
    • View Profile
    • Writing Tumblr
« Reply #34 on: October 16, 2018, 05:16:11 PM »
In my opinion, those mechanics are very nonessential. You can easily play the entire game without the gamepad with the exception of the levels that involve moving platforms with the touchpad or the microphone (both of which can be replaced). The other stuff like stunning enemies feels like they only added them so that the gamepad would actually do something unique in the majority of levels, so I think it could be removed without taking anything from the experience of the game.

It's true that they're nonessential, and I'm not suggesting that they're super necessary for 3D World to be enjoyed, but if what you're overall getting from a port is a product that has less features than the original, is the port really worth it? That's the question that I pose. It seems like the only reasoning for it is for Switch owners who don't have a Wii U to have even less of an excuse to buy a Wii U. (Which admittedly can be smart from a marketing/business perspective, but it's still... Well, as I go into, buying into the port craze.)

To be fair, a lot of my perspective comes from someone who's cynical of ports in general and is getting kind of tired of them at this point and would vastly prefer original games be produced, so take that with a grain of salt. I'm more accepting of some remakes/ports because they actually add something while being ported, or do something unique with the new system they're being on.

I say this as someone who's actually bought ports, too. Hey, I'm willing to admit I'm a bit of a hypocrite.
« Last Edit: October 16, 2018, 05:19:20 PM by Kokichi Oma »

Baby Luigi

• Yeah, hahaha, a little bit more hand sanitizer and we wouldn't be in this mess.
  • Mushroom Attendant
  • 🇷🇺 Малыш Луиджи 🇷🇺 – сырная бл🧀🧀🧀 Тарелка!
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: October 16, 2018, 10:13:40 PM »

shut up 3d world kicks ass (but not your ass)
RIP B. "Walkazo" Dalziel. December 16, 1991 to March 27, 2016.

MnSG

• Shine Sprite
  • Cosmic Beauty
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: October 16, 2018, 10:56:47 PM »
In all fairness though, what can you really do to expand 3D World's contents? Not very much outside of adding extra characters.

And when you consider that the Nintendo Switch version of Captain Toad: Treasure Tracker replaced all the Super Mario 3D World contents with Super Mario Odyssey contents, that kind of feels like a sign that Super Mario 3D World will not be receiving a Nintendo Switch version.

Alex95

• NIWA Nut
  • Wiki Administrator
  • Dry Bowser
    • View Profile
    • Power Master Games
« Reply #37 on: October 16, 2018, 11:07:59 PM »
I already have 3D World (in fact, I have most of the Wii U titles that are on/coming to Switch aside from Tropical Freeze), so I don't really want it. But I definitely expect it to happen sooner or later.

Roll and Maria Renard

• Pwwnd123
  • King Bowser
  • Pwwnd123
  • Rest in Peace Walkazo 1991-2016
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: October 16, 2018, 11:44:08 PM »

shut up 3d world kicks ass (but not your ass)
3D World is an alright game but sadly isn't as epic as the Galaxy games though or Odyssey for that matter. It has Peach kicking ass as she did in SMB2USA and her own game. She's shown herself pretty capable just as much as Roll and Maria Renard (from Mega Man and Castlevania, respectively) have. Peach should keep it up because I don't want her haters to think that she's completely useless when she is capable of kicking ass. I want her to be badass. I want Peach to be liked.

Dream Stone Spirit

• Dry Bowser
  • YoshiFlutterJump
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: October 17, 2018, 02:04:16 AM »
In all fairness though, what can you really do to expand 3D World's contents? Not very much outside of adding extra characters.
I honestly doubt the game will be ported, but if it is, I don't want a "deluxe" port.  If the game does end up being ported, it should be a direct port, not an enhanced one.  3D World is a masterpiece on its own.