Things you like in Mario stuff you don't like and vice versa

Cell

Perfect
Pronouns
Kie/Mer
To make things so bad that are no redeemable qualities, I don't believe that is possible, as it is not possible to make something perfect either, here's a topic to pick out things you like in stuff you hate and things you hate in things you like.

Mario Party 7 was easily the most boring of the bunch for me, but I liked that it gave a great role to Toadsworth who I feel doesn't get used too often, it has that going for it at least.

Rabbit chasing in Super Mario Galaxy (And SM64 DS). I loathe rabbit chasing with my entire being, especially since I'm not too good at navigating in 3D Mario games in the first place.

Some of the music in Mario Party 5 is pretty nice even if it doesn't fit Mario all that much.

Same with Sticker Star.

I like how Color Splash used a lot of classic Mario baddies pretty heavily in order to get around the "no new characters" policy.

To avoid the obvious answers I might normally give.

I like when Mario does new things with old stuff.

I don't like when Mario adds new things for the sake of adding new things.

Super Mario Galaxy 2, a game I despise, has an amazing soundtrack that's on par with Super Mario Galaxy.

Speaking of soundtracks.

Some of Super Paper Mario's soundtrack is good.

Don't get used to it.

Baby Luigi cries too much in Mario & Luigi: Partners in Time.

Mario isn't Mario enough in Mario

Paper Mario: Sticker Star (which I despise) has good music and visuals (Even though I'm not a fan of the enemy redesigns, the presentation itself is really nice-looking and nice-sounding)

Super Paper Mario (my favorite game) has some really bad design in chapters 2-3 and 5-1, both involve codes. There's some other places that could benefit a lot from quality of life stuff like shortcuts, especially in the vertical stages (7-3 comes to mind). The fetch quests in 7-2 that just make you redo the exact same sections again with no variation (other than being easier with Bowser) are unnecessary. I'd have liked Pixls to say more throughout the story and be more than just tools after you get them. Also, from a hacking/modding standpoint (i know I can't hold this against the game but whatever) I hate how many pre-Luigi cutscenes will crash if you have Luigi out. Really limits the neat things you can do with having him early.

Paper Mario: TTYD (another of my favorites) has several sections that are not fun at all, namely finding General White and scrolling through 100 text boxes of "I love you." While many of the ending scenes are adorable (like The Great Gonzales Jr.) some are just excuses to say everyone's happy, such as how we're just meant to assume Beldam is nice to Vivian now despite how she was not only never shown to have a change of heart, but was the mastermind behind the whole conflict and a devoted servant of the Shadow Queen, her just magically turning good as soon as her queen is defeated seems like an asspull. And Vivian belongs with Mario, maybe she can still hang out with Marilyn (who I don't think is evil, just too stupid to know right from wrong) but I don't trust Beldam around her. TEC being still alive is also an asspull though I'm glad he got restored... somehow. Luvbi in SPM is a similar case btw. Grodus makes no sense as they try to explain how this worked with his body exploding but then ignore how his head did the same right after. But I give this one a pass because they do this with Bowser all the time and most RPG villains don't get this luxury.

I like the Mario & Luigi games but I hate how little they've evolved mechanically.

While I enjoyed Paper Mario: Colour Splash, I dreaded another run for 100% because of two things: Roshambo and Card Collection. I admit that I got very lucky with Roshambo during my run due to not needing to retry that often, but the final temple is a lot more luck-based than I would like. Card Collection is another thing I dread because some enemies are very stubborn with dropping their cards, such as Rocky Wrenches and Bob-ombs (which is why Shy Guy Bandit is a huge asset, so I don't hate it).

From a certain point onward, WarioWare games makes me sad that Waluigi is not featured, so I can't quite enjoy those games any more. It's certainly not helped by the occasional ragging of Waluigi's absence by some people. I feel it would help if I could hear from the developers on why they didn't feature Waluigi in those games, or if he's introduced to the universe in a bigger way (than just a cameo).

Thank you for reading.

Stuff like that is why I rarely do 100% runs on anything more than one time.

I mean, I think BoneChill seriously has the coolest design out of any SPM exclusive character, but he's such a waste of potential. Especially because he doesn't get so much screentime due to Luigi being able to just break the boss fight. For a character that could've been way better involved in the story or boss fight as a whole, his battle sure was the worst in the entire franchise. Yes, the whole franchise.

At least both his themes are nice. Especially his intro. Sends... chills to my bones.

The 3DS version of Mario & Sonic at the London 2012 Olympic Games is by far my favourite game in the Mario & Sonic series, and up there as one of my favourite games of all time, but I really hate the fact that the certain characters are locked to certain events. It's still handled better than guest characters though.

I wish they had handled the Moon Rocks from Odyssey in the way Yooka Laylee did its world expanison, because it kinda feels like they pooed Moons all over the map and called it a day. I still spent 185 hours in that game tho ;)

Parakoopa144 said:
I wish they had handled the Moon Rocks from Odyssey in the way Yooka Laylee did its world expanison, because it kinda feels like they pooed Moons all over the map and called it a day. I still spent 185 hours in that game tho ;)
185? I've completed it 101% and started a new run through the game, and I've only spent 100 (that still completely dwarfs the 20 hours I've spent on Kirby, my second most-played Switch game).

Mario & Luigi's first game has an interesting dynamic between the bros and the NPCs, because when they are doing the talking, they talk in gibberish which is really funny. It's too bad they had to abandon this in future games, starting by introducing Stuffwell in the next game, and putting Starlow in for the rest of the games.

For Dr. Luigi and Dr. Mario: Miracle Cure, I feel it was a poor decision to abandon Cough and Sneeze since those are really good themes. I can understand why they did that in Dr. Luigi, but they must never be removed in subsequent games.

Thank you for reading.

they still talk in gibberish in partners in time though

Back