What is the scariest thing to come out of the Mario franchise?

Cell

Perfect
Pronouns
Kie/Mer
It's almost October, it's spooky time!

What is the stuff that scares you the most about in the Mario series?

Personally, I like the type of horror that makes you think rather than scare you right away, so the scariest part is the fact that Bowser Jr might never know his true mother, it really ought to be hard for the poor kid, even if he's a bit of a brat

Anything with a realistic texture.

I mean, it's not as terrifying in Odyssey.

Polygons affect appearance in sp many different ways.

Even though N64 models do invoke Nostalgia into the old school gamers, they can be some of the weirdest stuff ever.

Luigi reading about systematic genocide, horrors of survivors from concentration camps, and anti-semitism.

Luigi_and_WWII_-_Mario_Quiz_card_.jpg

Lucario said:
I mean, it's not as terrifying in Odyssey.

Polygons affect appearance in sp many different ways.

Even though N64 models do invoke Nostalgia into the old school gamers, they can be some of the weirdest stuff ever.

I simply think it's just you growing up, tbh. The eel looks far worse back then than today, arguably today's variant is more terrifying.

Princess Mario said:
Good thing we have a whole library in the Look at it! Thread.

*Idk some abomination that came straight out of a dimension that even Giygas is afraid of.*

prove me wrong

Damn you, LGM, I really didn't need to remember this.

I really didn't.

Not me, but when me and my little sister played Super Mario 3D Land a few years ago she got really scared of the cosmic clone which appears in some levels, to the point where she wouldn't even let me mention the character.
As for myself I find glitches has some creepiness-potential, like the "minus world" in Super Mario Bros. for instance.
Also this:
51783.jpg

SMO_T-Rex_Chase.jpg

SMO_Ruined_Dragon_Preparing_Attack.png

Do I need to say more? Those two beasts look too realistic to even be existing in the Mario universe; they would be more at home in Monster Hunter, or in the Ruined Dragon's case, Bayonetta.

Heck, even Donkey Kong's enemies manage to maintain a cartoonish vibe in one way or another.

The T-Rex is stark bare though.

MnSG said:
Do I need to say more? Those two beasts look too realistic
T-Rex
Realistic

Pick one.

Being overly detailed clashing with Mario is part of the charm. I'd like to see Mario walk into abandoned labs and subways to be honest.

I read about the Mad Piano in The Mushroom Kingdom, but I didn't realise how frightening it was to see it until I played in Big Boo's Haunt. Since Mad Piano is not mentioned here, then it's not that scary.

The idea that there is a physical manifestation of a plague in Paper Mario: Colour Splash is pretty scary, because it implies that this substance is easily obtained just by mixing the colours, which in this game is basically the life force of the world. So essentially mixing the life force in this game is a dangerous thing. And then there's the fact that the black paint is basically toxic and the evil plan is to engulf the world in toxic waste. That's not mentioning that when Mario has fallen in battle, the life force is sucked out of him and all hope is lost. The way a threat is graphically represented materialistically makes it more unsettling than even Thousand Year Door, which can feasibly be represented outside its paper setting.

Thank you for reading.

Maybe scary is the wrong word here but this did make me jump a bit.

tumblr_mkjxy6JwMI1qap92lo1_400.gif

Jumpscares ain't inherently scary though.

Still they can be pretty effective, I always jump higher than Luigi when things like that happen to me.

Artoon's continuing employment

Parakoopa144 said:
Mcmadness said:
Anything with a realistic texture.

I can imagine this man playing Odyssey and just screaming at the top of his lungs and crying.
I can't believe they say that Mario is 71 inches, yet the New Donkers are literally twice his height. Not to mention that even outside Odyssey, Mario is the shortest human character. There's literally no way he's 71 inches tall, Nintendo.

Kirby is supposed to be 8 inches, though he looks way bigger than that in games he appears in.

Video game proportion is a combination of words that does not exist.

YFJ said:
I can't believe they say that Mario is 71 inches, yet the New Donkers are literally twice his height. Not to mention that even outside Odyssey, Mario is the shortest human character. There's literally no way he's 71 inches tall, Nintendo.
I like 5'1'' Mario and New Donker relative size has always bothered me.

Back