Author Topic: Puyo Puyo E-Sports rated for Switch and PS4  (Read 287 times)

Pinkgu

• NOOT
  • Bowser Jr.
  • Pink Cat
  • NOOT
    • View Profile
    • Where the wind blows
Puyo Puyo E-Sports rated for Switch and PS4
« on: September 07, 2018, 04:34:48 AM »
https://www.grac.or.kr/Statistics/Popup/Pop_StatisticsDetails.aspx?61430d69fe9c3b8068622abdbbe1fdaaa6c813a6a053e8e5ec12581d53453bb0
Yet another reveal by rating, it's Puyo Puyo time!

If I had to guess, this is a Puyo Puyo game that is going to largely focus on online mutiplayer, however, I hope it has a story and a large amount of characters, more Puyo is always good though.

winstein

• Dry Bowser
  • Justice is not limited, it is a universal quality
    • View Profile
Re: Puyo Puyo E-Sports rated for Switch and PS4
« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2018, 03:49:29 AM »
I feel that the title of this game indicates that this will be a basic version of Puyo Puyo without the characters, but I hope that I am wrong and this is a game where the essentials of Puyo Puyo is retained, which is the colourful cast that the series is known for. Also, if that were the case, I also hope that they put more characters in because I am unsatisfied with limiting the cast to 24 (even though this is their punny number) when they have three universes to take from (though one of them took every character introduced there).

Oh, and they need to re-introduce Fever mode because I was disappointed with the lack of it in Puyo Puyo Tetris.

Thank you for reading.
(Credit goes to Alex95 for this signature)

winstein

• Dry Bowser
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2018, 12:23:52 AM »
This game is officially announced:

Based on what I have seen here, I can infer that:
- This game will have two modes: Standard and Fever. Standard is the Puyo Puyo mode that everybody loves, and Fever is well, what I love.
- It might not have too much content since we never got a glimpse of Story mode, so if there's going to be one I would be surprised.
- The game is digital and budget release, since it's 1999 yen, so it's on track to be a $20 title if it will be localised.
- 24 characters once again (sigh...), and the Madou cast has the most focus. Fever has only 3(!), so no Klug, Feli and Lemres oddly. 7 only has 3 which means that Ecolo is not present, and Chronicle has Ally. On the Madou Monogatari side, new faces are Harpy, Lagnus and Seriri from the faces I recognise, so I presume the rest are from Quest. Unfortunately I can see them substituting the new characters with old characters' moveset, such as Seriri using Ocean Prince's moveset and Harpy using Yu & Rei's moveset (they have similar AI patterns after all). I wish we have seen more on the Fever gameplay to confirm this.

I love that there's Fever, this being a cheaper title and that there are new characters for once, but it's sad that it's going to be a more basic version of Puyo Puyo and older characters are cut.

Thank you for reading.

winstein

• Dry Bowser
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 22, 2018, 06:45:41 AM »
Based on the official website and the 4Gamer news page, these are what I learned:
- In Fever, they reveal four characters' playstyle and dropset. Arle, Amitie, Ringo and Ally have the same playstyles and dropsets in Chronicles:
  • Arle: Loves chains, so has great overall power during Normal, though Fever power is not as good.
  • Amitie: Well-balanced, meaning decent Normal and Fever chaining power.
  • Ringo: Build up to Fever, meaning overall stronger Fever power compared to Normal power.
  • Ally: Loves chains, so has great overall power during Normal, though Fever power is not as good. Trivia: Ally has the exact same moveset as Oshare Bones, only their playstyle is different since Oshare Bones is a Fever-oriented character.

- Tournament mode. 8 players can participate, and because of its structure, this can be played entirely offline since only 2 players square off each time.

- Selectable icons. The list includes missing characters from the selection screen: Lemres, Prince Shellbrick III (Ocean Prince's human form), Kikimora, Skeleton T and a Quest character. I don't think this translates to selectable characters unfortunately, but there may be a chance things are different.

- Much like Puyo Puyo Tetris, there's online play, though this time it's only Puyo Puyo or Puyo Puyo Fever. Puyo Puyo players are actually contented with this decision because in Puyo Puyo Tetris, experienced Tetris player has a speed advantage that experienced Puyo Puyo players just can't compete with.

- A handicap mode exists in which a losing player receives perks if they are on the losing end. Here's one instance where the left player has a 5 win disadvantage and got perks like having a preset chain, increased garbage power and delayed damage.

Thank you for reading.

Makoto Kikuchi

• Marty
  • Star Spirit
  • Garlic Man
  • Name-change free since 2018
    • View Profile
    • Youtube
« Reply #4 on: September 22, 2018, 09:18:14 AM »
26/06/2015 20:12:11< marty> when will puyo puyo be esports

the time has come
marteny

foot foot foot foot foot foot foot foot foot foot foot dive
XJsM0 FKZv5 RVx0T 7AoXC YncK6bt Aidhw(sig)

winstein

• Dry Bowser
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 23, 2018, 11:10:34 AM »
I've seen the 4Gamer stream, and the Characters' Fever dropsets are based on the following:
- Hed (demonic guy next to Ringo): Suketoudara; yes, he uses the same dropset as Suketoudara, who is also playable
- Sultana (flower lady on the top-right corner): Feli
- Ciel (bespectacled blue-haired lady): Klug
- Penglai (pale-haired lad clad in green): Lidelle
- Harpy (pink-haired angel): Yu & Rei
- Seriri (blue-haired mermaid): Ocean Prince
- Hartman (white-armoured man): Lemres
- Alex (yellow female warrior): Ms. Accord

Unfortunately that video didn't gloss over Lagnus, so I can't identify his moveset. If the moveset is derived from Chronicle, the last game, it's likely going to be based on either Ecolo or Rafisol (who derives her moveset from Zoh Daimaoh the elephant).

Thank you for reading.

EDIT: Lagnus (gold-plated brown-haired warrior) shares the same moveset as Schezo! Man, that's another recycled moveset! That means that neither Ecolo nor Rafisol's moveset are copied.
« Last Edit: October 04, 2018, 10:34:25 AM by winstein »

winstein

• Dry Bowser
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 25, 2018, 08:14:02 AM »
Something to note: this game is already out, and in a generous move by SEGA, the game is discounted to 500 yen until 30 November 2018, after which this game will return to its original price of 2000 yen.

Obviously, a Japanese account is required since this game is only in Japan so far.

Thank you for reading.