Super Mario 3D World is going to turn five years old this year.

Dr. Peach

Rest in Peace Walkazo 1991-2016
Banned User
We're two months into Super Mario 3D World's fifth year anniversary. I will have to say that we're looking at an underappreciated gem of a 3D Mario platformer. People gave this game crap back then for not being the 3D Mario game that they wanted, that is a Super Mario Galaxy 3 or Super Mario Sunshine 2. It ended up being like Super Mario Sunshine which is also an underrated game that also received crap for being a bit different. 3D World is the new Sunshine in terms of reception and sales. It has surpassed Sunshine in the title of being the "Worst Selling 3D Mario Title" with it selling 5.78 million units which is less than Sunshine's 6.31 million units. 3D World was nowhere near as epic or as groundbreaking as the Galaxy games that came before it. It's a good game in it's own right but just not as great as the Galaxy games or Odyssey.

Here are the things 3D World will be remembered for:
  • Its four player co-op.
  • It having a plot that doesn't have Peach being kidnapped and it being the first time Bowser ever kidnapped another princess.
  • It being the first and so far only 3D Mario title in which Peach is a playable character.
I am hoping for this game to get ported to Switch. It deserves a second chance at life in order to succeed because the Switch is selling like hotcakes unlike the Wii U. It deserves to sell better on a more successful system because the Wii U was total flop and a disaster like the Sega Saturn. 3D World shouldn't die with the Wii U. It should be kept alive on the Switch for people who missed out on the Wii U to catch up with what they missed. 3D World was a unique experience with its multiplayer 4 player co-op gameplay which is something it truly excels at due to being linear and like a 2D Mario title in terms of gameplay design which is something no other 3D Mario title ever had nor Odyssey can do very well or even match. It is well suited for the Switch and its portable nature. It selling 5.78 is a bit underwhelming for a mainline Mario platformer that deserves better. It needs some love after people have Odyssey which is the 3D Mario game people were asking for on the Wii U but got 3D World instead. It could bring the so called "casual" 3D Mario experience with its linear gameplay and 4 player multiplayer co-op on the Switch along with the so called "core" 3D Mario experience that Odyssey provides with it being open world and non linear like Super Mario 64 and Sunshine, as well as bringing back the collectathon gameplay that was last seen in Super Mario Galaxy 2 all the way down to Super Mario 64.

Roll and Maria Renard said:
Here are the things 3D World will be remembered for:
  • Its four player co-op.
  • It having a plot that doesn't have Peach being kidnapped and it being the first time Bowser ever kidnapped another princess.
  • It being the first and so far only 3D Mario title in which Peach is a playable character.

• Essentially being a 3D version of Super Mario Bros. 2 and New Super Mario Bros. Wii/U.
  • Traversable world map that was later used in games like Yoshi's Woolly World and Kirby: Star Allies (I think this is actually pretty neat).
  • Putting Blue Toad over Red Toad.
  • Cat Suit.
  • Sprixies.
  • Plessie.
  • Return of SM64 Bullies.
  • Champion's Road. Gosh darn Champion's Road.
  • Having to complete every stage with every character.
  • Awkward controls and depth perception.
  • Putting in Rosalina as a fifth character but not allowing five players even though the Wii U is capable of it.
  • Pretty amazing visuals, tbh.
  • Broken Peach + Tanooki Suit.
  • CAPTAIN TOAD LEVELS.

Pretty fun game all around.

SM3DW_screenshot3.png

This picture also in that particular character order.

i like 3D World tbh but it will always remind me that it's the game that basically ruined Rosalina from Galaxy.

Fun game nonetheless.

I don't want it to be ported. Each Mario console since N64 has had its own 3D Mario game (except for the Game Boy line) and 3D World was MEANT for the Wii U. Just like Odyssey is meant for the Switch.

On that note, 3D World is amazing. Although anything 3D is better than 2D in my opinion. Unlike my brother, who likes 3D Land more than World...and more than Odyssey. For those interested, my brother is "insane". He's older than me too.

that's okay, i prefer 3d land over odyssey too because 3d land at least lets me play as luigi

IDK, I feel kind of "eh" towards 3D World. I concur with SGoW that it's the worst 3D Mario game. It's not bad by any means, but it has a a lot of flaws that make me kind of dislike it. It did do some cool things though, such as having multiple playable characters and having more unique level concepts.

i enjoyed playing it, esp in co op
also the worst 3d mario is still 64 :,)

Moldomré said:
I don't want it to be ported. Each Mario console since N64 has had its own 3D Mario game (except for the Game Boy line) and 3D World was MEANT for the Wii U. Just like Odyssey is meant for the Switch.

On that note, 3D World is amazing. Although anything 3D is better than 2D in my opinion. Unlike my brother, who likes 3D Land more than World...and more than Odyssey. For those interested, my brother is "insane". He's older than me too.
Mario 64 was remade on the DS.

3D World would be better on the Switch because its multiplayer gameplay is better suited to the Switch than it is on the Wii U. It will be a good multiplayer experience to take on the go because Odyssey's multiplayer can't match 3D World and neither does any other 3D Mario game.

Roll and Maria Renard said:
Moldomré said:

Mario 64 was remade on the DS.

3D World would be better on the Switch because its multiplayer gameplay is better suited to the Switch. It will be a good multiplayer experience to take on the go because Odyssey's multiplayer can't match 3D World and neither does any other 3D Mario game.

64 was remade on the DS, yes. And it was a bad decision. They should've either waited for a better console to port to or not done it at all.

...no it wouldn't. Multiplayer is the only thing that would be better. The touch controls and microphone controls would either have to be done in a manner similar to CT:TT on Switch (Which I hear didn't turn out good), or would have to be removed, which would require major work on their part. Also multiplayer is insanely frustrating on 3D World.

Also, I really wish Nintendo would freaking stop trying to pretend the Wii U didn't freaking exist. It did. And I liked it. Stop with the stupid, idiotic ports already!!!

Port it to 3DS IMO. Give the system a send-off with the sequel to its first Mario game. Captain Toad worked on it so this can too :P

i dont really think porting a game on a dead console to another dead console is a good idea

YFJ said:
Galaxy 2 > Galaxy 1 > Sunshine > Odyssey > 64 > 3D World > 3D Land

I think it's pretty obvious that 3D World is not the worst 3D Mario.
Despite it being the popular opinion, I'm still not convinced that 3D Land is worse than 3D World. I can name complaints about 3D World, such as badly designed multiplayer and depth perception issues. I can't think of many complaints for 3D Land aside from being somewhat aesthetically generic (although not as much as people think and it almost works in its favor) and that the postgame worlds rehash levels from the earlier worlds, which is something 3D World does too.

3d world has badly designed multiplayer true but it was still the most fun i had in that time alone than any other 3d mario title

it was clearly going for a chaotic frenzied multiplayer thing.

Would have been more effective if you didn't have lives.

lives in general are a crutch to most games nowadays

Mcmadness said:
it was clearly going for a chaotic frenzied multiplayer thing.

Would have been more effective if you didn't have lives.
That definitely would have helped. It would be like Rayman Origins/Legends where you die constantly but can be revived and don't get kicked out of the level till everyone dies at once.

Czario said:
That definitely would have helped. It would be like Rayman Origins/Legends where you die constantly but can be revived and don't get kicked out of the level till everyone dies at once.
Mario games in general should just have instant respawn like in those games. Odyssey sort of flubbed it when they waste your time by needlessly showing how much coins you lost rather than just subtracting your coins immediately when you take the dying hit and having you respawn right you die.

Another advantage Rayman Origins/Legends had is not freaking accidentally stepping on people, and the only power-up you can really lose are those heart containers if someone punches you off a cliff. There's also no freaking carry function that's shared with the dash and fireball button. Who thought sharing that button was a good idea!?

BTW we're overdue for a Rayman platformer on console, seriously overdue.

Back