Apparently, Super Mario Odyssey was around long before 2017...

YoshiFlutterJump

Power Star
MarioWiki
YoshiFlutterJump
https://bgr.com/2017/01/13/super-mario-odyssey-rom-hack/

We all know about Super Mario Odyssey...right? I guess not, because I just found an article about another game of the same name. Super Mario Odyssey (2004) is a ROM hack of Super Mario World (1990). It came long before Super Mario Odyssey (2017) even began development! Maybe Nintendo was inspired by the name...

This all reminds me of an old Nintendo Power fan letter that predicted Super Mario Galaxy (2007) long before it started development (here's an article about it).

Pretty old news, being from January 17 of last year. I highly doubt a ROM hack would inspire Nintendo, given their hostility to those kinds of things. I'm pretty sure it's just coincidence.

Odyssey is a word used for many things. It's hardly deliberate.

I think the word "odyssey" holds a good amount of weight as an adventure, which makes it an attractive word for a title where a character goes on an adventure. I mean, one of literature's earliest works is even known as Odyssey, so it's not terribly original. It's how the content is handled that makes the difference, and I think the official Super Mario Odyssey did this best. I don't know if the Odyssey fan games did anything original besides being a rom hack, so I can't comment on this.

Thank you for reading.

I know there's a joke out there involving the Honda Odyssey and Mario.

Princess Mario said:
I know there's a joke out there involving the Honda Odyssey and Mario.
My van is a Honda Odyssey, and we make those jokes all the time.

Super Mario Odyssey, the game where Mario pursues Bowser in his Honda Odyssey minivan!

Kirby of the Stars said:
My van is a Honda Odyssey, and we make those jokes all the time.

Super Mario Odyssey, the game where Mario pursues Bowser in his Honda Odyssey minivan!
The award winning sequel to Super GLA Bros.

You know, at first, Mario Odyssey sounded like a fan game.

I don't know, it's weird, I always thought that would be a great bame for a fan game, especially since my youngest brother once had this idea in his mind.

Except he called it 3D Odyssey.

Back