Diamant

Emblem Engage!
Poll Committee
'Shroom Consultant
Pronouns
He/him
MarioWiki
Ninja Squid
Apparently, New Super Mario Bros. U will get a "Deluxe" port for the Nintendo Switch. According to Liam Robertson, New Super Mario Bros. U will be updated and re-released for Nintendo Switch. Will also include New Super Luigi U, and all-new content.

Sources connected to Nintendo of Europe, who have provided accurate information in the past on games like Mario + Rabbids: Kingdom Battle, began to suggest that a port of NSMBU was in the works.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CGJmZ0EYCdA

http://ca.ign.com/articles/2018/08/17/new-super-mario-bros-u-is-reportedly-coming-to-switch

https://comicbook.com/gaming/2018/08/16/new-super-mario-bros-nintendo-switch/

I'm getting tired of all these Wii U ports.

How about an original 2D Mario with 2D graphics instead

If there's gonna be a NSMB port though, I don't see why not just have New Super Mario Allstars with all the NSMB games.

Well, this is nothing to get excited for, tbh

Can we get an official Switch port of Newer Super Mario Bros.? No? We get a port of that cookie-cutter Wii U game no one asked for? Okay.

I really want a New Super Mario Bros. Switch, not a port. I really want Peach to be playable. There is no goddamn excuse, especially since Super Mario Run managed to implement her and also StupidMarioBros1Fan went through the trouble of actually implementing her in NSMB Wii in a mod. It is possible because Super Mario Run did it and also because Peach was playable in Smash Bros games since Smash Bros Melee and Brawl.

Before Super Mario Run was released, I thought it would be impossible to have Peach due to being complex to implement her dress similarly to how Konami found it really difficult to implement Maria Renard in Castlevania: The Dracula X Chronicles for the PSP due to her wearing a dress in Rondo of Blood (which is what Dracula X Chronicles is a remake of) in which they had to make sacrifices by giving her pantaloons and whatnot but man was I shocked that Peach was playable and my jaw dropped. It was a miracle that it was possible even on weaker hardware that's probably weaker than a Wii U. But man was I wrong all along. Peach was already playable in Smash Bros. Melee on the GameCube and Brawl also had her and it was also possible on the Wii due to the Wii being a beefed up GameCube. And I was even shocked by StupidMarioBros1Fan mod which my jaw also dropped. It was also a miracle. Nintendo was being lazy all along and they had the balls to make her playable in Super Mario Run.

In addition, I don't want Peach to be kidnapped. I want another princess be captured or have the Sprixie Princesses reprise their role from 3D World. Seriously, the Peach being kidnapped plot is already old and monotonous at this point and I don't want no more of this, especially after Odyssey and its ending. As the AVGN said, "Some franchises get done to death. You can't keep beating the same thing into the ground. You can't do the same thing all the time or else it gets old but every now and then it's good to bring it back".

If the port does happen, they better replace Yellow Toad with either Wario or Waluigi and have Peach playable after being rescued along with Daisy. If Super Mario Run was able to have Peach be playable after being rescued then so can a port of NSMBU. It should be a straightforward process especially after they did the things in SMR.

Technical capability has absolutely no bearing on how hardware will render an animation. That aspect is entirely on the artist and how many frames allocated to making it look good.

It's simply just cloth physics in general being a huge pain in the ass to implement and the developers feel like it would be a better use of their time to make such sacrifices to focus on more important stuff like say how the game would play than some aesthetics that are very difficult to emulate through sprites/3D models. Updated technology has made it easier to simulate cloth, but the hardware you're referring to (the game hardware) is not the one I'm talking about.

I'm taking this with a grain of salt. But I am strongly against the idea of porting this. Not only is this another Wii U port that attacks its legacy even more, but it basically deconfirms NSMB Switch.

Please don't do this and just make NSMB Switch, Nintendo.

Russian Baby Luigi said:
Technical capability has absolutely no bearing on how hardware will render an animation. That aspect is entirely on the artist and how many frames allocated to making it look good.

It's simply just cloth physics in general being a huge pain in the ass to implement and the developers feel like it would be a better use of their time to make such sacrifices to focus on more important stuff like say how the game would play than some aesthetics that are very difficult to emulate through sprites/3D models. Updated technology has made it easier to simulate cloth, but the hardware you're referring to (the game hardware) is not the one I'm talking about.
Yeah, technology evolves over time with newer engines and whatnot and the use of more modern versions of APIs like DirectX and OpenGL among other things. Same with GPUs in both consoles and PCs.

I understand that it was difficult for Sakurai to animate Peach's dress in the Smash Bros games in general. I can also feel the pain that StupidMarioBros1Fan has to go through in animating Peach and Daisy's dress for his NSMBWii mod. It's not hardware that's the problem. It's about how to get the cloth physics to work properly.

Kirby of the Stars said:
I'm taking this with a grain of salt. But I am strongly against the idea of porting this. Not only is this another Wii U port that attacks its legacy even more, but it basically deconfirms NSMB Switch.

Please don't do this and just make NSMB Switch, Nintendo.
Me too. I want NSMB Switch and I will want it only if they make Peach playable and not kidnapped. Ports like these are just lame when people really want a new title.

Eh

I'm honestly 100% skeptical. NSMBU would never be ported to Switch. Why? Each console since the DS had their own, ORIGINAL, NSMB title. I really don't think Nintendo is dumb enough to do this!

Then again, if they are, they won't be selling this to me. I played both the original and NSLU. I don't need it again.

For some (and I include me) NSMBU is the only NSMB game they haven't played. So, if I get a Switch and this comes out for the Switch, then it would be possible for me to play this. I may not speak for all fans who haven't played NSMBU but have all others. But, I would just be as happy as if this was a new game instead. As for the idea for all NSMB games in one, I'm not quite as fond of the idea, but it would be cool to see. True for NSMBU itself with or without the others, considering there is a New Super Mario Bros. U + New Super Luigi U for the Wii U already.

Moldomré said:
I'm honestly 100% skeptical. NSMBU would never be ported to Switch. Why? Each console since the DS had their own, ORIGINAL, NSMB title. I really don't think Nintendo is dumb enough to do this!

Then again, if they are, they won't be selling this to me. I played both the original and NSLU. I don't need it again.

I know right. NSMBU is best left alone on the Wii U where it should be. Nobody wants a port of an NSMB game. We want an NSMB Switch, not a port of an old game. New games present new things such as the opportunity to make Peach playable and not have her be kidnapped just like in Super Mario 3D World where the Sprixie Princesses took her place, which is something NSMBU didn't have which made it lame and a missed opportunity. Nintendo should stop making excuses when it comes to making Peach playable in 2D Mario games like NSMB especially after they managed to pull it off in Super Mario Run which is a stripped down NSMB game for mobile devices. People have been begging for Peach to be playable since Super Mario Run was released. Several people including We Are Peach have been wanting Peach to be playable in more Mario games like NSMB. Seriously, people are tired of Peach being kidnapped. It's overly monotonous and boring. Nobody wants the same old thing over and over again. If NSMB Switch doesn't have Peach be playable, then I'll bang my head against a wall until they do.

I really don't want a New Super Mario Bros. game, port or not. The next 2D Mario game should do what Odyssey did for the 3D games. Original, fun, memorable, and able to stand on its own.

Moldomré said:

Just because they never do this doesn't mean there's no possibly they won't change that in the future. After all, the Switch received a port of Mario Kart 8 Deluxe, the very first time we don't have an OG Mario Kart on a console. There is a feasibility that they'll do the same here.

I really hope this rumour turns out to be false, as I'm starting to get sick of all these Wii U ports. I understand that porting these games for the people who didn't have a Wii U is a good idea, and at the start of a new console, I think it's a good way to start building a library of games to attract people to it, but if you had a Wii U, then you won't get much new content.

That aside, if there is another new Mario 2D platformer, I'd prefer it to either be a New Super Mario Bros. game that actually puts "New" back into the title or something completely different. I like the idea of having a game with graphics similar to the 2D promotional art. I think it would be good if a new 2D Mario platformer did something similar to what Yoshi's Woolly World did for the Yoshi series- it took the best of the core gameplay and carried over some enemies, items, etc., but added new mechanics, enemies, a different plot and a brand new artstyle as well. And although the new Yoshi game's not out yet, it seems to be doing a similar thing- taking the best of the ideas, but changing the artstyle again while still having some similarities and a bunch of new mechanics. It may not turn out to be great, but from the outset, it looks like it could be good. I think the Mario 2D platformers need to do something like that to change the series, rather than port an old game and add limited new content.

BBQ Turtle said:
I really hope this rumour turns out to be false, as I'm starting to get sick of all these Wii U ports. I understand that porting these games for the people who didn't have a Wii U is a good idea, and at the start of a new console, I think it's a good way to start building a library of games to attract people to it, but if you had a Wii U, then you won't get much new content.

That aside, if there is another new Mario 2D platformer, I'd prefer it to either be a New Super Mario Bros. game that actually puts "New" back into the title or something completely different. I like the idea of having a game with graphics similar to the 2D promotional art. I think it would be good if a new 2D Mario platformer did something similar to what Yoshi's Woolly World did for the Yoshi series- it took the best of the core gameplay and carried over some enemies, items, etc., but added new mechanics, enemies, a different plot and a brand new artstyle as well. And although the new Yoshi game's not out yet, it seems to be doing a similar thing- taking the best of the ideas, but changing the artstyle again while still having some similarities and a bunch of new mechanics. It may not turn out to be great, but from the outset, it looks like it could be good. I think the Mario 2D platformers need to do something like that to change the series, rather than port an old game and add limited new content.
Me too. The only Wii U port I want to have left is Super Mario 3D World and that's it. That's a better port than NSMBU Deluxe.

I would want a new 2D Mario platformer to have a varied amount of characters with unique abilities like Peach and Daisy. I've said this several times but a lot of people do want to play as Peach and/or Daisy and I'm among them. That's exactly what I want if there is a New Super Mario Bros. Switch. Seriously, not being to program and animate her dress was a lame excuse and NSMBU was a missed opportunity. NSMB2 and NSMBU were lame, boring and not as groundbreaking as NSMBDS or NSMBWii. Super Mario Run had a variety of playable characters (including Peach being playable along with Daisy) and that's more than what NSMBWii, NSMB2, and even NSMBU offered. NSMB Switch better step it up by including Peach, Daisy, Wario and Waluigi. Nobody wants duplicates. Peach and Daisy need to have a chance to be playable in a fully featured 2D Mario platformer and not some stripped mobile variant of it. Super Mario Run doesn't do them justice. They need to have their turn to shine in an NSMB game after their neglect in NSMBWii and NSMBU for bullshit reasons. If Super Mario Run could do it and if StupidMarioBros1Fan could go to the process of making them playable in a mod, then Nintendo themselves could do it again in NSMB Switch easily and save modders a ton of hassle by doing all the hard work themselves. I was happy and shocked when I saw Peach playable in Super Mario Run and I don't want Nintendo to drop the ball.

I, as one of the people who didn't play NSMBU... would rather get a new game this time.

Thanks Nintendo, you have ported many games to the Switch, and I enjoy all of them, really, Pokken Tournament, Breath of the Wild and Mario Kart 8 were great games and it was a great choice to port these, but still, the Wii U should die with legacy. At this point, it's like it never existed. It's like they rereleased the Wii U with a bunch of new games and called it a new console. I know it's supposed to pad out the game library while original games are in the works, but seriously, if you wanna port something, port something from OUTSIDE the Wii U. I realize that this would actually be called a remake, yes, but it would still be better if they wanted to bring back an old game instead of giving us a new one.

Sincerely, Koopsy.

Hey, at least Smash 4 won't get ported, right?

Ah yes, the Smash games, and every game that is an icon to their console, like 3D World, I don't think have a chance to get ported.

But can NSMB be considered an iconic game for each console?

I mean.... they're just... NSMB.

Russian Baby Luigi said:
Hey, at least Smash 4 won't get ported, right?
I hope not. We already have Ultimate which is miles better than Smash 4.

SSB4 has custom movesets, equipment, and some stages that won't return in that game, though, as well as different game physics there than in Smash Ultimate. So not entirely redundant.

Yeah, but why would they port it when we got Ultimate? Ultimate is the actual wall here. Can there be two Smash games on one console? I can see two Mario Karts (mainly because one already got ported.), but not two Smashes.

I honestly never understood why people say that Ultimate makes Smash Wii U obsolete, but don't mention the other Smash games. It only impacts Smash Wii U as much as any other Smash game.

Ultimate is not "Smash 4 but better", it's "the ultimate game in the Smash series".

Back