The mysterious mode of Smash Ultimate: what do you think it could be?

Koops

Agony
Pronouns
He/They
MarioWiki
ManKoops
14_spirit01t.jpg

So this is what the mode looks like depixelated according to most of the community. I've seen different versions of it, but this is the general idea: an ember above the word "Spirits".

The question is, what is exactly spirits?

Some people speculate that it is how you unlock the characters: the villains kill them, and you get their spirits back. But I doubt that, since Mario has already been killed in a trailer already, and he's in the starting roster. But maybe there is a way around that.

They also say this might actually be a new story mode. If it is true, I'd say that I don't really expect anything in the scale of the Subspace Emissary, but probably bigger than Melee adventure mode. But, this is the big rumor about it. With the Heroes vs Villains theme going on here, I think it's clear that it could hint at that being a focus of this mode. And everyone getting killed meshes pretty well with a story mode: a quest to bring back the fallen characters, and probably recruiting the villains to maybe defeat one common enemy?

Although, "Spirits" could just be a codename, since Sakurai surely knows that fans will use everything they have in their arsenal of softwares to try and decrypt this pixelated mess. And they did depixelate it. But if this truly is Spirits mode, then... what could it be?

First off, that's something some dude drew for Imgur. They haven't made it that depixelated.

Second, my personal opinion is a big ol' story/adventure mode, or, assuming it's a code name, I think (hope) it's an upgraded Smash Run with more maps based on different series.

Pipe dream (but not really a dream of mine)? A new 3D Smash mode.

I did say that according to the community, that's how it looks like. I didn't say this is what it exactly looks like depixelated, pixel by pixel.

I'll add this... this is something they know we want, so I think it's not too far fetched to assume that it's a single player campaign with a story.

Some kind of smaller tier adventure mode would be my first guess.

i fully expect it to be just as if not bigger than subspace

Hopefully it at least feels more like a story than Melee's. Which was fun but felt short for a campaign, much like Classic Mode. That's fine the way it is (actually thank god they did away with whatever they were trying to make it in Wii U), but I'd like more out of the next single player adventure mode. Even if it's not as large scale as Subspace, I hope it has some degree of cutscenes/story progression and not just "levels and then boss."

Granted it's been a very long time since I played Melee's adventure mode so if there was more story than that I may just have forgotten it but I don't remember anything even remotely comparable to Brawl's Subspace Emissary.

Shadowshy said:
i fully expect it to be just as if not bigger than subspace
I'd love that but I don't expect it :P

I don't expect to be anything huge, certainly not bigger than the Subspace Emissary.

Subspace is why Brawl took so bloody long to come out. I'm not expecting anything remotely of that length.

They're not doing that. If they were making a big story mode like Brawl's, they would have to include EVERY character, because leaving out one of them would be a crime in a game that is supposed to focus on Everyone. That fact alone makes it so that it would take even longer than Brawl to make, and I think the dev team knows how long it can get, so unless they finalized their ideas for the game recently, which I doubt since I recall Sakurai always tries to visualize the final game before properly making it, they knew what they were doing when they said the game would come out in December, they knew it had to take only this long.

Conclusion, if there is a story mode, it can't be like Subspace Emissary.

I don't actually believe that there is a 'heroes vs villains' theme at all, or that characters dying in trailers are linked. I think the TV cutscene for K. Rool was just to show how the other series all have villains and to introduce him, and I don't even think people would be saying that Dedede died in that trailer if they weren't actively looking for a pattern.

Starkuss said:
I don't actually believe that there is a 'heroes vs villains' theme at all, or that characters dying in trailers are linked. I think the TV cutscene for K. Rool was just to show how the other series all have villains and to introduce him, and I don't even think people would be saying that Dedede died in that trailer if they weren't actively looking for a pattern.

Uh...am I crazy or did they literally say there would be a heroes vs Gillian's theme?

This was never said. There were rumors, but it's merely people taking Ridley and K. Rool's inclusion to be indicative of a bigger theme. the only thing it's indicative of is sakurai looking towards highly requested characters. It just so happens the two most popular requests were villains.

It has voice acting too!

Can I say something?

I think I already fell in love with Marth's voice before in Japanese, but seeing him talk in the World of Light cutscene in English made all of that direct worth watching live.

Subspace Emissary memories. Ughghghgh.

Yeah ok that's like... literally not Sakurai's bias.

Why is is STILL Kirby who has the big role? When Shulk had that vision I thought it would be him...

Or they could just let the original 8 live, it ain't that hard at all.

Lucario said:
Yeah ok that's like... literally not Sakurai's bias.

Why is is STILL Kirby who has the big role? When Shulk had that vision I thought it would be him...

Or they could just let the original 8 live, it ain't that hard at all.
Shulk was literally on the front there was no way for him to avoid that attack.
Kirby fights gods and shit on a daily basis for him this is nothing.

Back