Author Topic: minecraft games 2018  (Read 2674 times)

Rin Tohsaka

• Head of the Tohsaka Family
  • Retired Wiki Staff
  • Power Star
  • Super-Yoshi
  • #1 Magecrafter
    • View Profile
Re: minecraft games 2018
« Reply #40 on: September 03, 2018, 05:19:09 AM »
  • Porkchop
This was actually pretty good for a side game, it was better than I remember it being in groden's pool

But once again: make it so the driver can continue to fight if the gunner dies
yea i wouldntmind playing it again tbh, and i agree on that

• CTF
I would agree with others when they say its a very busy map, and given that all 22 had to do to cap was bee line over the two lava pits repeatedly, I think it's got a lot of extra stuff

Granted, once again I could be wrong and this map could be well suited to like 10v10 games, but we'd have to try again with a lot of people and no lag. Someone else can figure out that catch 22 for me

to shed more light on that yea so the idea really was that itd be an all out turf war, i imagined people would take high ground and stuff but lag really made it so that you can just run to the opposing side and grab and run out of there with no penalty because of lag. so its pretty much just whoever can sprint the fastest lol

i think areas like the pool house would be good for like pushing the area and stuff since it provides cover, and also the skydome as well if you get up there from the sniper tower

or you could be sneaky and take the underwater pool route without being detected i guess except ur glowing lo

lots of routes to take meant more diversity on a bigger map for lots of players but its kind of unfortunate it didnt turn out that way. i hope in the future we can solve lag issues and possibly retry that since i feel like it would be pretty good in a minimum 6v6

i also want to suggest maybe having a pretour of the map for all players so they get an idea of how to navigate it. putting myself in another players shoes i feel like 2fruit is really complex and confusing for someones first time, but maybe having like a 5 min tour of it would help people understand routes and places to position themselves to defend/attack

hee heehee hee

Ice Cream Man

• True to the art of Tech-Hop
  • Poll Committee
  • King Bowser
  • The Pyro Guy
  • And It Don't Stop
    • View Profile
    • watch my terrible videos
« Reply #41 on: September 03, 2018, 05:34:02 AM »
idea- princeton battle royale

sort of like hunger games, but in adventure mode (so digging and camping is restricted), starting by flying in with an elytra, and loot chests being the only source of gear. the map would be a copy of princeton ported over for this mode, or a collection of princeton buildings spliced together in mcedit to avoid people from camping in particularly spacious buildings. the world border command could be used to make the map shrink but i am informed that this is a dangerous command :0

« Last Edit: September 03, 2018, 05:40:24 AM by The Pyro Guy »

Chihaya Kisaragi

• King Bowser
  • Snack
  • Bluebird; Even If Happiness Is Close By...
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: September 03, 2018, 06:12:39 AM »
Some short thoughts before I die of exhaustion;

Hockey will hopefully, somehow, be better balanced next games. Like I said after we played it I want to implement some kind of defensive ult to counteract the meteor smash.

Porkchop was better received than I thought it would be, so it will be on to do list for sure. The issue with the gunner being able to die leaving a driver stuck in the game unable to do anything will be fixed next version and it may get moved to a pool and out of the skating rink.

Finally, Ring Race didn't see many players this year, for a few reasons I think; the course was the same as last year, people remembered it being a hard game and decided to skip it because of that, and the lag makes the timer extremely unreliable so scores, which were already and issue last year because of people not getting enough rings and my formula not penalizing them enough for only getting like five and the heading to the goal, are meaningless. Since the timer issue is probably unfixible and I'm not sure a head to head race can be done, I'm not sure Ring Race will be returning next year. However, a new game that's more free-roaming and focused on finding rings rather than being a sort of time trial might be added in its place. If Ring Race does return, I hope to make a new course for it.

Claude von Riegan

• Gate of Babylon
  • Core 'Shroom Staff
  • Power Star
  • GBAToad
  • do you ever yearn for the soft touch of a pancake
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: September 03, 2018, 08:09:01 AM »

h e LP they tok oK My spac eUSit and l

Uniju

• Star Spirit
    • View Profile
    • uniju.com
« Reply #44 on: September 03, 2018, 11:02:26 AM »
my thoughts on how to improve things

loot hunt
i'm glad people always seem to enjoy this so much and there seems to be a lot of demand for more of it every year but i'm afraid if we give it a double slot(someone suggested a whole day but i feel like they were joking) people will get tired of it by the end. we did about an hour and a half? of it this year and people seemed to be getting a little bored by the end but idk i guess if the map was bigger maybe they wouldn't but it might be hard to make a map that's twice as big or more and doesn't get samey especially considering i always end up procrastinating and barely finishing it in time LOL. maybe next year we'll finally do the big tbxp'd map
Actually having a coop puzzle with rewards mightve been better though  :diddy:

hunger games
the two complaints ive seen about this is that dying once is basically the end since you don't keep your inventory and that it sucks to miss the start and not be able to play. you know what would solve both of these problems? making the snow faster and giving people only one life and doing multiple ~20 minute rounds. think about it. someone actually suggested this last year but i don't remember who. anyway i think hunger games was great but still had a lot of downtime particularly once the snow got over the ground and people started to fight but then after the fights they went back to keeping to themselves for like 10 minutes so i think if the snow accelerated as the game went on it would be help the game end in an exciting climax rather than sort of fizzling out like we had three or four big fights that seemed like they were going to be the end but then it was like "oh yeah, nex is still on the wall" but idk i've never played hunger games lol. i think having the wall shrink in from the outside would probably help too so nex can't be all the way on the other side of the map for two hours anyway basically nerf nex

koth
I think there's not nearly enough items on your way to the cap, those empty rooms you drop down would do better with some more drops to help you on the way and make falling there a little more worth it

There's too much front yard to navigate to get the items out there, I think it'd be better a bit smaller. On that note the cloak potion could probably last a little longer, in the heat of a game I think I estimated it only lasted about three seconds for me, but that might've been intentional for balance, idk
i think the problem is mostly that the map wasn't really balanced for so many players but my idea with the yard and the lack of drops inside was to try to encourage people to vie for an area other than the point itself since koth seems to end up as just a deathmatch on the point and whoever got it first wins but i guess putting a bunch of medkits around the point didnt help that lol. i probably will try to rebalance the item drops at some point

cloak lasts 10 seconds but it goes away if you step on the point
This signature officially occupied by the taste of ginger since August 14th, 2009.
Feeling down? You may already be a charge target.

Alex95

• NIWA Nut
  • Wiki Administrator
  • Dry Bowser
    • View Profile
    • Power Master Games
« Reply #45 on: September 03, 2018, 11:19:15 AM »
Porkchop
Ice sucks
Give the driver a sword or something (I'm not even sure if you can attack while driving a boat, but if you can't, this probably can't be fixed at all)

Hockey
Pretty solid game here

KOTH
Red team, not orange please! Who uses orange?
Decrease knockback because sheesh

Hunger Games
Make the arena box closed so people can't leave
Bigger glass box with things to do or Spec mode
     EDIT: Close off the arena box with the glass box as the ceiling
Let LB play next time when no kills have been made
Someone kill Crackin

Uniju

• Star Spirit
    • View Profile
    • uniju.com
« Reply #46 on: September 03, 2018, 11:28:25 AM »
you say that but it WAS red originally and nobody ever joined red team so every game i had to use commands to put people on it(the hud actually still calls it red team). people like orange better apparently
This signature officially occupied by the taste of ginger since August 14th, 2009.

Uniju

• Star Spirit
    • View Profile
    • uniju.com
« Reply #48 on: September 03, 2018, 03:02:25 PM »
go back in time and play in 2016 and you can

• #mwchat Admin
  • Star Spirit
  • although it can do nothing but a ram attack, it makes a nuisance of itself by aimlessly wandering everywhere
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: September 03, 2018, 04:09:52 PM »
everyone else also please submit suggestions

nvm no more suggestions

Chihaya Kisaragi

• King Bowser
  • Snack
  • Bluebird; Even If Happiness Is Close By...
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: September 03, 2018, 04:23:18 PM »
this is why hockey has a button to force a random person to be on a team they don't want to be on

Lord Bowser

• Super High School Level Bowser
  • Core 'Shroom Staff
  • Power Star
  • "It's funny because we're all living in a simulation and free will is a lie."
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: September 03, 2018, 04:42:01 PM »
i was thinking we could maybe play rainmaker or something like that as a modification to ctf next year, probably not replace ctf itself but as a side game maybe

specifically, have only one "flag" in the center of the map, a bow. having some kind of breakable barrier around it would be nice, but idk how feasible that is. picking it up gives you slowness and glowing, but the bow itself is made more powerful, with fully charged arrows ohko'ing. your goal is to put it in an item frame inside the other team's base. the bow carrier has... however many seconds to take it to the item frame or else they blow up and die, leaving the bow behind for others to pick up (with a regenerated barrier around it again if possible)

(credit to TPG)

(credit to Mr. Edo)

Lord Bowser

• Core 'Shroom Staff
  • Power Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: September 03, 2018, 05:08:28 PM »
oh yeah the barrier could maybe be like an iron golem or something holding the bow and you have to kill it for the bow to drop

(credit to TPG)

(credit to Mr. Edo)

BEEEEEAAARRRS

• 658 pieces
  • Power Star
  • Toadbert101
  • how about a rousing game of pool
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: September 03, 2018, 08:09:07 PM »
Official Kanohi Guide:

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: og masks (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: September 04, 2018, 01:16:34 AM by BEEEEEAAARRRS »

Lord Bowser

• Core 'Shroom Staff
  • Power Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: September 04, 2018, 02:28:21 AM »
brought this up in #mariowiki earlier, some new spleef ideas:

• enderman spleef. lots of endermen spawn and pick up blocks, making holes. maybe make the blocks unbreakable so you have to home run bat people into the holes?
  • shulker spleef. floor made out of shulker boxes and some actual shulkers that shoot at you, probably with weakness so that they dont kill you

(credit to TPG)

(credit to Mr. Edo)

Kazooie

• Red-crested Breegull
  • Core 'Shroom Staff
  • Star Spirit
  • Gabumon
  • "That's nice."
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: September 04, 2018, 06:27:46 AM »
Now that it's all over and I've had the opportunity to wind down a bit from everything that's happened, I figured I should say a few words too.

Metaphor for my life these past months

First and foremost, I would like to thank everyone for the warm reception this year's space-themed hub has received. Several weeks of my life have gone into building this thing, so much so I've lost count. I think I started like three months ago, I don't remember anymore. Between this, and doing awards presentations, it is a miracle that all of this got finished in time. But it doesn't really matter. If you've taken your time to look around, take in all the sights, and enjoyed your time in it, then I thank you personally, because you have made all of this worth it.

Also a huge thank you to everyone who contributed games, and to Toadbert for setting up a fun side activity in the form of a mask collecting game. I am very proud of all of us that we made this work without having to resort to delays, which are never fun for anyone.

I'm sorry that my own game, Bomberman, wasn't really playable due to the lag problem we encountered this year. Luckily, Update 1.13 is right around the corner and will completely break it forever beyond repair, so I will have the chance to make Bomberman 2 better and more efficient.

What have I learned this year?

-Mojang hates both fun AND love, and you can break their game about building huge, elaborate things by building huge, elaborate things. Good job, jebs.
-Mojang doesn't know what optimization is, so you'll have to optimize your builds as much as you can to compensate for their idiocy.
-Command blocks can keep running even when there's nothing powering them.
-Command blocks can refuse to run even when there's something powering them.
-Make sure to run your repeat command blocks only when there's people near them to save the server a headache.
-Turb and TFP will willingly and relentlessly hunt for bugs in your system if you tell them there is some sort of secret to find. I have to keep that in mind for next year.
--Make sure there's an actual secret to be found though, or they might get mad and not do it anymore.
-Turb will press any unlabeled buttons he comes across.
-Too much milk can kill you.

Suggestions for Construction:

-Tear down the barriers surrounding the old lots and widen the protective area to include all lots so that people can fly over to the entries from previous years and look at them. The reason I was told for having the old lots inaccessible is to prevent griefing, but that really doesn't hold up. Construction is already operating on a trust system, because people could just fly over to one of their competitor's builds from the SAME year and damage that. The fact that everybody has enough restraint to not do that tells me they would also have enough to not destroy the old builds.

Suggestions for Porkchop:

-The goal of the game is to kill the enemy pigs. Why not just make the gunners invincible to prevent stalemates?

Suggestions for KOTH and CTF:

-One thing I've noticed is that when you pick up a shield, you have to go into the menu to equip it. The game might flow a little better if it auto-equipped shields.

Suggestions for Spleef:

-Once the game goes into sudden death, have it delete blocks starting with the outermost ring and steadily move the deletion zone towards the center. That will put a damper on campers.

Suggestions for Hunger Games:

-As I already said: Allow players to keep their inventory upon death. There is a monumental disadvantage placed upon people that have died, to the point where after a certain time threshold it is functionally impossible to recover.
-Consider a handling clause for late arrivals. In absense of such a clause, this years ruling was fair. Now that the game is over, we have a year to look into possible alternatives.
-The implementation of death milk was successful in flushing people out of their hiding spots. However, it introduced a new problem: Forcing the action to relocate to the upper portions of the map is counterproductive if there isn't actually anything up there to relocate to. People just dirt tower under the ceiling at the other side of the map and the action slows to a crawl. That's why I propose the following:

Spoiler: The following (click to show/hide)

-some other stuff I'm going to suggest to 2257 later, once I've got some working proofs of concept

Suggestions in general:

-add a 30 minutes to 60 minutes break to each day. We have a lot of side games and other activities, but there isn't really any time allocated to playing them. We had one experimental break on day 1, and I feel like that was refreshing. Maybe it should become part of the actual schedule.

Suggestions to Mojang:

-fix your *bleep*

In closing, just really, thank you again to everyone, hosts and participants. It was a great time.

Claude von Riegan

• Gate of Babylon
  • Core 'Shroom Staff
  • Power Star
  • GBAToad
  • do you ever yearn for the soft touch of a pancake
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: September 04, 2018, 09:46:15 AM »
let my son fight in hunger games

• #mwchat Admin
  • Star Spirit
  • although it can do nothing but a ram attack, it makes a nuisance of itself by aimlessly wandering everywhere
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: September 04, 2018, 10:10:27 AM »
ok im oging to do it too now

loot hunt what if we do everything like it is right now except we score it once after the first hour and a second time at the end of 3 days and treat those as separate events

bomberman didnt work and thats sad because nobody saw my death handling code, which was the hardest thing i ever did in this game, i slaved away over a hot command block for literal days to make this meal for you and this is how you repay me

murderer replace the bow with snowballs because they arent as lag sensitive and you dont have to wind them up

spleef is good and next year itll be possible to buff fishing rods and then itll be a true reckoning. use replaceitem or wahtver the *bleep* its called to put the fishing rod in offhand by default though because i get annoyed flipping it each time even thoguh its literally just one extra keystroke because im lazy

hockey is entirely determined by who plays as tfp and thats sad because i dont have the money to purchase the expansion that unlocks that character

go fish i unironically wanted to clone the arena and recolor it but i was prevented

koth do the thing i said for the spleef fishing rod with the bow

ctf dont make tfp drop infinite regen potions. also you know both of these team battles have this thing where, the only points that matter are the two spawns and for koth, the control point, and the rest of the map is almost superfluous because everyone just runs straight for whatever the goal is and ignores everything else. or at least, that's what i do. i wonder if there's anything that would change that or if maybe lbs rainmaker game would have less of it, because i really feel like its too bad that people spend all their time in one spot when the maps are so nice

hunger games i hacked most of it together in like 5 days before the start of the games so im glad everyone was under the mistaken impression that it was actually good. the rest was done by uniju like -2 days before the start of the games, thank u uniju. next year i have some plans for, but i probably wont do any of them:
  • let spectators be in spec mode instead of locking them in that box lol
  • turn the snow black because its not *bleep*ING milk you *bleep*ING. LACTIC. SLUTS.
  • beg uniju to add a resource pack that turns damaged undamageable hoes into black oil or something so that can be the surface of the death layer because it might lag less that way. except that will also make it so you cant run across the surface anymore and instead immediately sink to your death at the bottom because there will be no collision. but that might be ok because
  • think about doing shorter matches with 1 life
  • g
  • open the door at 20:00. start at 20:15. dont do any delays. publicise this plan a year in advance so that people know
  • think really hard about nerfing nex although he lost so maybe i dont have to; i guess it depends on whether people keep doing that for some reason even though it didnt seem to be a very good strategy this time
  • speaking of nex figure out why he got triple owned that one time even though it wont actually matter if we only give people one life next year and also there might just be no reason
  • im thinking about using a purpose built arena for this instead of wilderness but maybe thats actually stupid
  • figure out why the particles lagged like hell
  • change the algorithm that regulates the speed of the snow because the one from this year caused it to oscillate around the target speed instead of converging and thats not what i want
  • force people to divulge wehther they would be seriously interested in participating in an archeology side game where you dig out the snow next year because it was suggested and i cant decide whether anyone is going to want to

construction

connect 4, snail race, sheep derby did anyone play this

bowser's big blast will anyone ever WANT to play this now that tpg has thoroughly sullied it

ring race i think snack has his own idea but i kind of want to try a real time course. or beat jebs until he adds a way for me to put a real time clock in minecraft

lunar labyrinth is so good and i cried abojut the fact that nobody ever really got to do it

porkchop i missed it because i ran away to clone go fish

hub was the best hub ever and thats hard for me because it means im no longer in the running to be the person who made the best hub ever

hotel let everyone customise their own hotel room next year but that means we need to figure out kanohi storage

kanohi i think if you make an exp converter youll regret it because the value of widgets will immediatley drop to zero because everyone will have as many as they could ever want from the enderman farm in newprinceton. wait for lunar labyrinth 2 and put widgets as a prize in there. also we could try and come up with other forms of solitaire too

Uniju

• Star Spirit
    • View Profile
    • uniju.com
« Reply #58 on: September 04, 2018, 10:36:52 AM »
Oh yeah I forgot to say this but we should totally have a coop version of lunar labyrinth next year

Kazooie

• Red-crested Breegull
  • Core 'Shroom Staff
  • Star Spirit
  • Gabumon
  • "That's nice."
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: September 04, 2018, 11:47:28 AM »
Oh yeah I forgot to say this but we should totally have a coop version of lunar labyrinth next year

Yeah, I've been thinking about that and it's on my "I'll try to do this" list.

...I should have had a to-do list in my bigass post. I'm gonna do that now.

Plans for Bomberman 2:

-support for more than 4 players
-multiple maps with different gimmicks
-destructable boxes and items (speed up/down, bomb range up/down, fuse timer up/down, curse, etc.)
-status effects?
-more weird *bleep* that makes no sense

Plans for Lunar Labyrinth 2:

-actually finish balancing the dang thing
-implement the system where every enemy has a "weight", and stronger enemies like witches and blazes take up multiple enemy slots
-different room layouts
-co-op mode
-better spectating (observation room on rails that goes down with the players?)
-possible tie-in with the widget system

Plans for Mystery Project #1:

-something with sunflowers

Plans for Mystery Project #2:

-something with spears