Author Topic: minecraft games 2018  (Read 2073 times)

BEEEEEAAARRRS

• 658 pieces
  • Power Star
  • Toadbert101
  • how about a rousing game of pool
    • View Profile
Re: minecraft games 2018
« Reply #20 on: September 01, 2018, 02:46:17 AM »
Widgets for today:

I gave everyone 12 to start with, if you didn't get it and want that let me know

Participation widgets:

5 per event

Edo: 5+5+5+5
Turb: 5+5+5+5
LB: 5+5+5+5
TFP: 5+5+5+5
Wogl: 5+5+5+5
Snack: 5+5+5+5
Nex: 5+5+5+5
GBA: 5+5+5+5
Nabber: 5+5+5+5
Martini: 5+5+5+5
22: 5+5+5+5
Uniju: 5+5+5+5
Ryan: 5+5
Alex: 5

If there's been an omission let me know

Azusa Miura

• Wiki Administrator
  • Shine Sprite
  • Turboo
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 01, 2018, 06:31:02 AM »
The hotel is done come on down and bring your friends and stash your kanohi winnings and reserve one of our great rooms like below

Iori Minase

• Little-devil idol
  • Retired Wiki Staff
  • Power Star
  • Super-Yoshi
  • Iorin
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 01, 2018, 06:57:17 AM »
Widgets for today:

I gave everyone 12 to start with, if you didn't get it and want that let me know

Participation widgets:

5 per event

Edo: 5+5+5+5
Turb: 5+5+5+5
LB: 5+5+5+5
TFP: 5+5+5+5
Wogl: 5+5+5+5
Snack: 5+5+5+5
Nex: 5+5+5+5
GBA: 5+5+5+5
Nabber: 5+5+5+5
Martini: 5+5+5+5
22: 5+5+5+5
Uniju: 5+5+5+5
Ryan: 5+5
Alex: 5

If there's been an omission let me know

Iori Minase

• Little-devil idol
  • Retired Wiki Staff
  • Power Star
  • Super-Yoshi
  • Iorin
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: September 01, 2018, 05:18:09 PM »
if you are like this person below we will destroy any castles you own with brute force

shout out to vruet though

Chihaya Kisaragi

• King Bowser
  • Snack
  • Bluebird; Even If Happiness Is Close By...
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: September 01, 2018, 05:52:27 PM »
I saw this leftover fortune cookie fortune sitting on the dining room table last night and kept meaning to post it but forgot twice
it's about kanohi

Kazooie

• Red-crested Breegull
  • Core 'Shroom Staff
  • Star Spirit
  • Gabumon
  • "That's nice."
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: September 01, 2018, 06:34:58 PM »
if you are like this person below we will destroy any castles you own with brute force

shout out to vruet though

"To do just the opposite is also a form of imitation."
 --G. C. Lichtenberg

Chihaya Kisaragi

• King Bowser
  • Snack
  • Bluebird; Even If Happiness Is Close By...
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: September 01, 2018, 07:21:24 PM »

Quick-ish custom of Granya (my character in turb D&D), made mainly from mashing up portraits from Fire Emblem 6 (from The Spriter's Resource, ripped by Lexou). Drew the sprite in maybe 6 hours of on an off work at the cost of one paintbrush crash and staying up past 6 am, spent 2 hours also on and off deciding the color palette (includes a lot of dawdling), then about 3 hours to build it.

The basic character attributes of short grayish-brown hair, being an anime girl, and having plain, earth-toned clothes I came up with but shoutouts to turb who drew a sketch of her wearing a sailor fuku because she's a sailor, and edo who did a more detailed sketch based partly on that which blended sailor fuku with a more fantasy look with muted colors, a cloak, and leather armor, which I ran with because I'm not very good at imagining clothing.

Grima

• Tactician of Ylisse
  • Core 'Shroom Staff
  • Power Star
  • GBAToad
  • do you ever yearn for the soft touch of a pancake
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: September 02, 2018, 04:44:32 AM »
when ur playing on expedition and get the fire resistance item but turb hits you into lava so you have to walk back to the health pack

The Pyro Guy

• Poll Committee Chairperson
  • Poll Committee
  • King Bowser
  • "no"
    • View Profile
    • watch my terrible videos
« Reply #28 on: September 02, 2018, 02:00:22 PM »

BEEEEEAAARRRS

• 658 pieces
  • Power Star
  • Toadbert101
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: September 02, 2018, 02:23:16 PM »
I forgot to announce publicly that there will be widget awards for submissions to construction games, and a bonus if you submit something for all three categories

BEEEEEAAARRRS

• 658 pieces
  • Power Star
  • Toadbert101
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: September 02, 2018, 06:59:25 PM »
also come to hunger games everyone it'll be a game of a time

Grima

• Tactician of Ylisse
  • Core 'Shroom Staff
  • Power Star
  • GBAToad
  • do you ever yearn for the soft touch of a pancake
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: September 02, 2018, 11:36:36 PM »
hunger games was more fun than i expected but im just gonna log some suggestions for next year:

- keep the milk white, it was great, shut up 22
- speed up the rate of milk as time goes on, will make it faster for people to get flooded out when things turn to Bridge Constructor 20XX
- allow dead players to go into spectator mode so that we arent trapped in a box reading about the action happening 3000 years away from us, alternatively, have a tp to multiple viewing bays so we can see people fight each other
- nerf crackin
« Last Edit: September 02, 2018, 11:39:08 PM by Grima »

BEEEEEAAARRRS

• 658 pieces
  • Power Star
  • Toadbert101
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: September 02, 2018, 11:51:07 PM »

thanks to everyone who made it out

Alex95

• NIWA Nut
  • Wiki Administrator
  • Dry Bowser
    • View Profile
    • Power Master Games
« Reply #33 on: September 03, 2018, 12:56:33 AM »
Darn, couldn't make it in time for the photo.

Things kept happening around here that prevented me from playing fully on any day, mainly dinner. But despite not playing Minecraft in years, this was still a lot of fun.

Also
- nerf crackin
Thanks for killing me twice and taking my soup :P

• #mwchat Admin
  • Star Spirit
  • although it can do nothing but a ram attack, it makes a nuisance of itself by aimlessly wandering everywhere
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: September 03, 2018, 01:02:40 AM »
suggestions

everyone else also please submit suggestions

Miki Hoshii

• Sleeping Skill Level: Maxed
  • Celestial Guide
  • Crackin355
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: September 03, 2018, 01:40:56 AM »
don't nerf crackin

I only took two screenshots but they sum up hunger games
Spoiler: spectator box finale (click to show/hide)

Makoto Kikuchi

• Marty
  • Star Spirit
  • Garlic Man
  • Name-change free since 2018
    • View Profile
    • Youtube
« Reply #36 on: September 03, 2018, 01:43:22 AM »
make loot hunt longer
marteny

foot foot foot foot foot foot foot foot foot foot foot dive
XJsM0 FKZv5 RVx0T 7AoXC YncK6bt Aidhw(sig)

Iori Minase

• Little-devil idol
  • Retired Wiki Staff
  • Power Star
  • Super-Yoshi
  • Iorin
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: September 03, 2018, 01:53:13 AM »
love live squad:

bonus:

thanks everyone for playing and thanks to our hosts for making a great event and building everything

it was realy fun and i wish mc games was more soon rather than waiting a year :(

BEEEEEAAARRRS

• 658 pieces
  • Power Star
  • Toadbert101
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: September 03, 2018, 05:03:20 AM »
my *bleep*ing face when the game isn't over and turb's stolen my own stuff to kill me with

Going to post my tentative list of plans and observations for next year that I remember, I may get significantly less than this done:

(Warning: disjointed thoughts and badly structured sentences)

• Loot hunt
Incredible this year, with the warps and different parkour types

Actually having a coop puzzle with rewards mightve been better though  :diddy:

I might try to help do a coop loot hunt with Uniju at some point because people are pining for even more loot hunt than we always have, but what effect this has on the schedule would have to be discussed

• Bomberman
Can't say much about this since we didn't really play it

However, figuring out a proper bracket to handle everyone in groups of 4 is probably a good idea

Board up the Anime room forever

• Murderer
An instagib round where everyone has a gun was suggested and I think that's a fun idea that I'll try

I need to fix the mechanism that puts people into the map, its a piece of crap right now that leaves people behind

Also need to look into making more than one cop/murderer once theres 10 people or so, but I am very much not looking forward to attempting that

Need to make the gold spawn more with more people ha ha hasjkfkds;jnhb

Need to make Petscop since it's been promised

Need to try and control the end game point counters better since they're wrong sometimes

Need to see if theres anything I can do about the freak glitches or if its just server lag (LB *bleep*ting out bows and LB becoming one punch man)

Figure out if collecting the gold should benefit murderer or a cop in some way

Change code to let any admin run game

• Spleef

Try to rework the tie handler? But *bleep* man that's like the very first thing I planned out when I made this thing it might've just been the lag

Keeping the fishing rods, they were good

I'm sorry about invisible spleef lol, it really was pretty funny last year and people enjoyed it, I'll make it so people leave particles or something

I probably should enable Incoming on more gamemodes, but that means messing up this code and it's kind of a real piece of *bleep* yknow

I think other modes I had planned were: jump to teleport somewhere in the arena, opaque double layer, something that utilizes levitation somehow, "*bleep* mode" which i think is just double layer but you cant fall through the second layer and continue to work to drop everyone up top down, a jump boost mode where you can jump high enough to get back on the first layer, oh, and

Silverfish Spleef

• Hockey

Glad we got a good ending when we did the meme game of everyone vs tfp

• Go fish

Card games/board games and things to that effect are best saved for people actually agreeing to play them, we've had issues where people would get very distracted during the game while waiting for their turn and ironically make the game last like 3x longer

(We skipped this because we literally didn't have enough cards for people on the server if you didn't see the official reason)

• KOTH

It's a little tricky to give unbiased feedback on the new map since I was a) losing heavily just about every game (the exception being the one game where my team got 30 points and lost anyway) and b) struggling to use any weapons besides swords under the lag, but:

I think there's not nearly enough items on your way to the cap, those empty rooms you drop down would do better with some more drops to help you on the way and make falling there a little more worth it

There's too much front yard to navigate to get the items out there, I think it'd be better a bit smaller. On that note the cloak potion could probably last a little longer, in the heat of a game I think I estimated it only lasted about three seconds for me, but that might've been intentional for balance, idk

Windows in the blockade thing on the point might be helpful but I'm most shaky on this piece of advice given the impairments I was under, if I had a better game to judge with I might reconsider this

• CTF

I had planned to quickly port Murder's rock solid voting mechanism over here, but it just would not work so I had to compromise with a simple system that only I could work (which reminds me of a point to add to murder H)

I don't know wtf went wrong with Tfp and the splash potions, I suspect it's probably some code contamination from his map interfering with mine, sorry that it took so long to fix since it kind of killed the game (I think that was also in part from Koth being just before this, which we should maybe not do again)

I don't think I had any plans to improve Atrium with, so I'll make some points about 2fruit:

I would agree with others when they say its a very busy map, and given that all 22 had to do to cap was bee line over the two lava pits repeatedly, I think it's got a lot of extra stuff

Granted, once again I could be wrong and this map could be well suited to like 10v10 games, but we'd have to try again with a lot of people and no lag. Someone else can figure out that catch 22 for me

• Hunger Games

The snow worked fantastically on keeping the game going and ensuring a good climax (along with my dumbassery), not mentioning 22's ruthlessness in not letting us settle a tie

I do fear that this set up of "everyone dukes it out on lines against the wall" will become a trope within like 2 years but who knows what could change by then

2 hours was a good time limit to prevent the game from going stale, and the loot crates did provide a lot of incentive to head up to the surface

We really should figure out some plan about letting people in late (within like a half hour or so) because this isn't an event you can just come back to later and play again

• Kanohi

I'm stoked everyone had this much fun with it, my only concern is that the hype will die down before everyone finds everything, because there ARE some masks no one's seen yet (as far as I can tell from snooping your public stashes)

I'll make an updated collection guide later for anyone whos attempting to collect them all

I'm not quite sure how to continue it going forward without games to support Widgets though, but my ideas are a) you get like 12 tokens a day or something and/or b) you can give experience levels gained from playing in princeton over for Widgets at the location in Dashcon

I have ideas for lots of more masks/things I can add for next year, so get ready for that (I'll probably have to do SOMETHING so that you can't buy them all at once just from hoarding an enourmous stash of Widgets between now and next Games)

On the topic of Widgets, they were a good motivator to convince people to work on Construction (Turb said he would but ended up not doing anything), so they might become prizes for winning things like Murder or Lunar Labyrinth or something like that

• Construction

A day ago I would've said "lol we can basically scrap this", but now seeing how much stuff's built, I can say "lol we can basically scrap redstone"

Edo had the idea of having the hotel rooms as part of construction so as to allow everyone full reign to mod their rooms however they want and I think that's a great idea

Although, there is the downside of teleports to hotel rooms from the hotel itself not being as smooth since construction is gonna be pretty far from any hub

• Bowser's Big Blast

I sacrificed a few crucial hours between shifts at work before games started to make sure this worked, which it did, and all was well

and then some error in it turned up in the middle of games lol

Sorry, I don't know the code there that well, it's a bit of a migraine

I'm disappointed, this would've been a fun thing to have, but now I'm theoretically able to have it fully ready for next year, as it's missing the bomb animations and there's nothing stopping you from just taking your turn without pressing a button at all

• Porkchop
This was actually pretty good for a side game, it was better than I remember it being in groden's pool

But once again: make it so the driver can continue to fight if the gunner dies

• The hub
It's been said a lot, but it deserves to be said, the hub was fantastic

Great atmosphere, variety of rooms and settings to walk through, sub challenges to get to the events, secret entrances to places, secret things to find, plenty of functionality (albeit maybe too much for the server), and was basically laid out in a patterned and logical way

This really is a standard anyone making future hubs should strive to achieve. Making something you can get lost in and discover a lot of stuff in is really a big part of the appeal of all this, at least to me anyway. I'm well aware a reasonable amount of people probably just want to be able to get right to a game a lot of the time and skip the running around and/or lag, but I'm all about art for art's sake

Anyway I had some points to make:

The book acting as a guide was very helpful, I got use out of it
The coffee supply was a great idea too, even though I was flying around everywhere in creative anyway
The hotel got solid use this year, and people were getting very creative with their rooms this time (I think only 22, tfp and I had made minor adjustments to our rooms in 2016)

People who got left behind and were asking where to go really couldve benefited from Warp Zone, but it seemed like it was one of those things no one new to the hub ended up finding out about at all

[/list]

there might be more but I can't think anymore, I'm tired

Kazooie

• Red-crested Breegull
  • Core 'Shroom Staff
  • Star Spirit
  • Gabumon
  • "That's nice."
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: September 03, 2018, 05:07:46 AM »
Spoiler: Real SimCity vibes (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: In dedication to 2257 (click to show/hide)

For Hunger Games, I'd suggest letting players keep their inventory upon death. It honestly makes the whole life system pointless, because once you've died once you are at such a massive disadvantage, you might as well just go and kill yourself. Or build a tower and stalemate yourself to oblivion. Like, ok, my enemies all still have their full iron/diamond gear they killed me with, plus now my old gear, and I have nothing.

"To do just the opposite is also a form of imitation."
 --G. C. Lichtenberg