Mario & Luigi series discussion

YoshiFlutterJump

Power Star
MarioWiki
YoshiFlutterJump
We have one for Paper Mario, so I don't see any harm in making one for the M&L series as well.

Anyway, this is a thread where you can discuss anything about the Mario & Luigi RPG series. This includes ideas for the next game, thoughts on previous games, speculation on the upcoming Bowser's Inside Story remake, and debating the fact that Dream Team is the best in the series really anything pertaining to the M&L series.

For the first thing on the agenda, I want to say that I wish Mario and Luigi have a final boss that is completely divorced from Bowser. Seriously, every final boss in the Mario & Luigi series involves Bowser, including Bowletta (possessed Bowser), Shrowser (Bowser who ate a Shroob's mushroom), Dark Bowser (dark version of Bowser), Dreamy Bowser (Bowser's powered up dream form) and even the Bowser fusion between M&L Bowser and Paper Bowser. They can still include Bowser in the latest games, but please use something different for the final boss. Partners in Time almost got it, but they just had to introduce Shrowser.

There are quite a few characters they could use, and this is based on ideas from another person:
- Wario & Waluigi: Given how the game is mainly about the titular duo, it makes sense that their evil counterparts
- Tatanga: An unknown villain that could be introduced in a big way
- Wart: Another unknown villain that could be introduced in a bigger way
- Donkey Kong: Mario's older rival could be responsible for more hijinx, and it will take place in the DK Jungle

Thank you for reading.

Well, at least it was a cool twist at the time for Bowletta, and it made a lot of sense for Bowser to face his perfect match in BIS. Shrowser was an asspull though. I would be more fine with Bowser being the main villain/final boss of Dream Team if Antasma wasn't introduced as a red herring for folks who wanted a new villain. And Paper Jam yeah one of many instances of huuuuge potential of something epic that relates to the many adversaries of both M&L and PM but using just Bowser in the 2 styles merging instead. But that whole game was full of missed opportunities so I wouldn't say the final boss in particular was notable for that.

This series gave me my favorite villain and even character in the franchise, and the biggest sins it has done are killing him off and Paper Jam. I'd love a Wario and Waluigi appearance, but IDK, I think they'd work better as either recurring troublemakers ala Popple or a parallel "adventure" of their own ala Bowser in BIS. Donkey Kong I'd definitely prefer as a protagonist (like BIS Bowser but not as rude). Wart would've made a perfect boss in Dream Team, and tbh they could've wrote the plot to have him enter the plot instead of Bowser, team up with Antasma and even later betray him, and it wouldn't feel as bitter because Wart hasn't shown up as the final boss in every damn game, most notably the latest ''RPG'' at the time raising question on whether non-Bowser villains would ever come back.

Similarly Tatanga could've appeared in PIT and allied with the Shroobs. I think I'd prefer to mostly stick with new villains for the series, at least for the main villains. M&L's villains have usually been really interesting (much like old Paper Mario, same with other character roles, explaining why I find PJ so wasted) and unlike Paper Mario it hasn't abandoned this direction (i think... actually can't be sure since we've only had remakes since PJ, but I'd like to say we're out of that uncertainty now, at least for M&L. If only we could get out of it for both)

Since Fawful is canonically dead (as I'm legally obligated to admit and acknowledge... grumble) I still hope they find a way to tap into his popularity in less story-reliant contexts. They can't keep him alive retreading old ground forever, as much as I'm enjoying this remake period. At least some merch would be nice Nintendo tbh.

The series is very creatively bankrupt right now.

Though since they are hiring new talent, hopefully that makes a change.

My only question is...

WHY is Bowser Jr.'s journey exactly like Minion Quest?! I liked Minion Quest, but do something different for each game!

I have hope that what we saw was filler for something different, and that the fact that they're releasing this next year means that they're working on a new thing.

I liked the idea of minion quest and I think there is potential in it if they improve on it and make it less "sit there and watch while occasionally tapping something"

Would be nice if you could recruit the king himself this time.

MARIO & LUIGI: PARTNERS IN TIME IS THE BEST RPG GAME EVER MADE OKAY????

DizzyBabL.gif

I am currently playing through Mario & Luigi: Dream Team, and I think that it's way too long. I've already put 20 hours into the game and I just want it to end already. But some people have said that the game took them 40-50 hours to complete (yikes).

It is 20 hours too long.

Speaking of Mario & Luigi, I am surprised that there's no mention of Jojora so far. I guess that one's a forgotten subject?

Thank you for reading.

Jojora sucks. Thats why.

Treats you like crap for no reason.

It would be hilarious if right the moment Jojora leaves, Mario and Luigi talks for the only part of the game, and they say, "What an asshole."

MarioFan632 said:
I am currently playing through Mario & Luigi: Dream Team, and I think that it's way too long. I've already put 20 hours into the game and I just want it to end already. But some people have said that the game took them 40-50 hours to complete (yikes).
I feel like the only person who was happy to have a really long M&L game. Some of them feel like they end too soon, most notably PIT. If PJ had an enjoyable story to begin with, its length would feel a bit short as well, but since it was mostly so boring to begin with I didn't care. It may be growing up and being able to finish games faster, but I miss most games being akin to a mountain climb, vs. a hill climb like they tend to be now. A good long adventure takes more content now that I'm a better gamer, and I appreciate DT for doing that.

What's even the point of choosing the name for Jojora's friends? They all play the same and have the exact same personality. It would have been cool if they were actually different people but in that case, they could have just picked a static name for her and literally nothing would change.

siblings treating each other like crap is normal

800px-Luigi_and_Mario_%28trophy_cutscene%29_-_Mario_Power_Tennis.png

Mario & Luigi's game revolve around beating the crap out of each other

Johnny Five said:
MarioFan632 said:
I feel like the only person who was happy to have a really long M&L game. Some of them feel like they end too soon, most notably PIT. If PJ had an enjoyable story to begin with, its length would feel a bit short as well, but since it was mostly so boring to begin with I didn't care. It may be growing up and being able to finish games faster, but I miss most games being akin to a mountain climb, vs. a hill climb like they tend to be now. A good long adventure takes more content now that I'm a better gamer, and I appreciate DT for doing that.

I wouldn't mind the length had the game enough variety to justify it. M&L games are too repetitive for a game of that length.

Plus a lot of it was just padding.

Princess Mario said:
It would be hilarious if right the moment Jojora leaves, Mario and Luigi talks for the only part of the game, and they say, "What an *bleep*."

That reminds me of how refreshing it is to see the Mario Bros. not have anybody speak for them in SS.

I'd imagine.

Starlow and Toads can go keel over and explode.

Mcmadness said:
I wouldn't mind the length had the game enough variety to justify it. M&L games are too repetitive for a game of that length.

Plus a lot of it was just padding.

I wouldn't mind 40 hours of Baby Luigi tbh

Just play the game 4 times

Mcmadness said:
Just play the game 4 times

But it's not the same as having 40 hours of original Baby Luigi content

Back