Author Topic: How do I set up a GameCube controller with my Switch?  (Read 221 times)

J. D. Sumner

• Whew! White Lightning!
  • King Bowser
  • George Jones
  • Founder of the Sharknado Clan, formed 2015
    • View Profile
    • My GameFAQs account
How do I set up a GameCube controller with my Switch?
« on: July 29, 2018, 09:37:20 PM »
I heard that you can set up a GameCube controller with a Switch, but how do you do it?
  I am addicted to Felicia, the character in the image on the left.  R.I.P. George Jones, in the image in the center and J. D. Sumner, in the image on the right.

Yukiho Hagiwara

• Ace Idol
  • Star Spirit
  • Epic Nitwit
    • View Profile
    • Backloggery
Re: How do I set up a GameCube controller with my Switch?
« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2018, 12:49:55 AM »
technically it's not officially supported by nintendo yet (probably will be when smash ultimate drops) but basically i think all you need to do is just use the wii u gamecube adapter and plug it into your dock

Kirby and Dedede

• Gourmet Rivals
  • Dry Bowser
  • YoshiFlutterJump
    • View Profile
Re: How do I set up a GameCube controller with my Switch?
« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2018, 11:48:14 PM »
First, you need that GameCube controller adapter originally designed for Wii U.  If you don't have that adapter, Nintendo will be re-releasing it in December.

Plug that adapter into the Nintendo Switch Dock, and plug your GameCube controller into it.  Go to the "add controller" screen and press L and R simultaneously to pair it.  It will tell you that a USB controller is connected.

Button mapping is a bit odd and ZR functions are unusable, but if you can live with that, you have yourself a new controller for your Switch.