Author Topic: How do I set up a GameCube controller with my Switch?  (Read 165 times)

Christmas White Lightning

• White Lightning is always in style, even at Christmas time.
  • King Bowser
  • George Jones
  • Founder of the Sharknado Clan, formed 2015
    • View Profile
    • My GameFAQs account
How do I set up a GameCube controller with my Switch?
« on: July 29, 2018, 09:37:20 PM »
I heard that you can set up a GameCube controller with a Switch, but how do you do it?
  I am addicted to Felicia, the character in the image on the left.  R.I.P. George Jones, image in the center and right.

Yukiho Hagiwara

• Ace Idol
  • Star Spirit
  • Epic Nitwit
    • View Profile
Re: How do I set up a GameCube controller with my Switch?
« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2018, 12:49:55 AM »
technically it's not officially supported by nintendo yet (probably will be when smash ultimate drops) but basically i think all you need to do is just use the wii u gamecube adapter and plug it into your dock

Santa Yoshi

• The Christmas Yoshi
  • Dry Bowser
  • YoshiFlutterJump
    • View Profile
Re: How do I set up a GameCube controller with my Switch?
« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2018, 11:48:14 PM »
First, you need that GameCube controller adapter originally designed for Wii U.  If you don't have that adapter, Nintendo will be re-releasing it in December.

Plug that adapter into the Nintendo Switch Dock, and plug your GameCube controller into it.  Go to the "add controller" screen and press L and R simultaneously to pair it.  It will tell you that a USB controller is connected.

Button mapping is a bit odd and ZR functions are unusable, but if you can live with that, you have yourself a new controller for your Switch.