Nintendo wants to shut down loveROMS!

Wario's ass

King Bowser
Pronouns
He/him
https://torrentfreak.com/nintendo-sues-console-rom-sites-for-mass-copyright-infringement-180720/

Crazy, huh? 100 million's a lot of money :wario: .

I don't get why didn't they sue emuparadise like this before when they told them to remove some of their ROMS, but they're doing it now with them.

Why don't don't they just focus on making their crappy services better? They hate their customers too, by continuously forcing them to rebuy games on the Virtual Console generation after generation, having a disappointing library of Virtual Console games, have bad pricing with few sales, and then finally ditching the thing all together. But no, go after ROM sites. I don't think that revenue from shutting down those ROM sites are gonna go to an expansive Virtual Console library with frequent sales.

I mean, for ROM sites, I get what they're trying to do and I wouldn't oppose this. They're blatantly illegal.

Still, I think they're fighting the wrong war. We all know what happens to piracy sites. You chop off a head of one of them, and more pop up as a result. Nintendo will never fully get rid of them and the fact that I never heard of this site until now speaks loads on how little this is impacting piracy. If they want to discourage people from pirating in the first place, offer better services than the pirates. Just how black markets will never go away, neither will sites that hosts ROMS.

I'm certainly not happy with the way they're treating legacy games. They're throwing away money by not having an expansive Virtual Console that goes from NES - Gamecube and even GB - GBA. Classic Edition consoles are not a good alternate solution because not everyone wants to pay for a ton of games because they probably already have some of them and don't feel like re-buying. In my case, I already have Super Mario Sunshine and the Gamecube Zelda games, but don't have Thousand Year Door or any of the Gamecube Mario Partys. I want to get those, but having to pay a hefty price to get them with a bunch of games I already own is an annoying way to do something that could be solved much more efficiently. Heck, they actually did pretty good with the Wii, and yet it's only been going downhill from there.

The biggest problem I have with the Classic Edition stuff is their stock issues entirely. When they DID release a cute little console that looks appealing and has a potential to be a best hot-seller and a hugely popular product much people want, guess what, you can't find the bloody thing in stores anyway unless you're the people who know about it ahead of time, and to top it off, cut off production for it when demand was at its peak.

To be honest, I personally believe the lesser of the evils is letting piracy and ROM sites flourish than catering to the scalper market with the underproduction of Classic Editions being one of the few, only legal and financially friendly ways you can get older games now.

Sgt Nate V said:
I've been to that site. It uses installers to drop a *bleep*load of malware over your ass.

First: selfcensoring lol
Second: Really? In the times I may or may not have used LoveROMs, it's (hypothetically) never given me a virus. Most sites like these just have fake links that download shit to your computer if you don't notice the little "Advertisement" text below it.

Mikan Tsumiki said:
Sgt Nate V said:
I've been to that site. It uses installers to drop a *bleep*load of malware over your ass.

First: selfcensoring lol
Second: Really? In the times I may or may not have used LoveROMs, it's (hypothetically) never given me a virus. Most sites like these just have fake links that download *bleep* to your computer if you don't notice the little "Advertisement" text below it.
Well, I would try to use the Internet Archive to prove it, but of course it doesn't go to download, and I may be actually confusing it with some other site.

EDIT: Maybe I was confusing it with Romsmania. Or maybe both used installers. Said installers drop malware over your ass and THEN give you the ROM after your beating.

Mikan Tsumiki said:
Most sites like these just have fake links that download shit to your computer if you don't notice the little "Advertisement" text below it.
If I recall correctly, are there installers that also have adware within the wizards as well?

Princess Mario said:
If I recall correctly, are there installers that also have adware within the wizards as well?

Often, yes, but if you're just downloading a ROM it shouldn't come with a wizard. Downloading an emulator from places like loveROM or Emuparadise will definitely give you a little "extra surprise" when you install it. But ROMs should be OK.

PSA: Emulators usually have their own websites that are safe. If an emulator doesn't have its own website, don't download it.

I use emulators all the time for retro stuff including Japanese stuff like the PC-88, PC-98, Sharp X1, and Sharp X68000. I also use PCem for using Windows 95/Windows 98 with old games including those educational Mario crap which are also designed for Windows 3.1/Windows 95 and Windows 98 which also work under 2000 and XP as well. Emulators are technically legal including those for vintage computers. Same with floppy disk images for vintage software as they are called abandonware.

Welp, there goes Emuparadise

Many of you are aware that the situation with regards to emulation sites has been changing recently. What you probably don't know is that we at EmuParadise have been dealing with similar issues for all 18 years of our existence.

From receiving threatening letters in the early days to our hosts suddenly shutting down our servers due to complaints, we've seen it all. We've always complied with takedown requests but as you can see, that is no guarantee of anything.

I started EmuParadise 18 years ago because I never got to play many of these amazing retro games while growing up in India and I wanted other people to be able to experience them. Over the years, many folks have joined in and contributed to this vision and I think I can say that we've been successful in spreading our passion for retro games far and wide.

Through the years I've worked tirelessly with the rest of the EmuParadise team to ensure that everyone could get their fix of retro gaming. We've received thousands of emails from people telling us how happy they've been to rediscover and even share their childhood with the next generations in their families. We've had emails from soldiers at war saying that the only way they got through their days was to be lost in the retrogames that they played from when they were children. We've got emails from brothers who have lost their siblings to cancer and were able to find solace in playing the games they once did as children. There are countless stories like these.

It's been a long and beautiful journey with many ups and downs. When I started EmuParadise things could have gone either way. But right now the direction they are going in could not be more than clear.

So where does that leave us?

It's not worth it for us to risk potentially disastrous consequences. I cannot in good conscience risk the futures of our team members who have contributed to the site through the years. We run EmuParadise for the love of retro games and for you to be able to revisit those good times. Unfortunately, it's not possible right now to do so in a way that makes everyone happy and keeps us out of trouble.

This is an extremely emotional decision for me after running this site for so many years. But I believe it is the right thing for us at this point of time.

Thus, we have decided to make a new start. We will continue to be passionate retro gamers and will keep doing cool stuff around retro games. But you won't be able to get your games from here for now. Where we go with this is up to us and up to you.

We'll still have our emulators database, the community, and everything that comes along with that.

We have already made several plans of what is going to happen next. It's going to be a fun new beginning and there's going to be lots to come! We'd also love to hear from you in the comments about what you think we should do. But for now, we need to make this change. We've served the community for 18 glorious years and it's been a hell of a ride!

But every end is a new beginning and we're excited to find a way forward to continue being your #1 emulation destination.

Thank you for supporting us through this journey. We could not have done so much without you visiting us, telling your friends about us, uploading screenshots and descriptions, telling us when something was wrong, letting us know when we messed up, and more. Thank you for being a part of our community and encouraging us through all these years.

Why does Nintendo exactly want to shut down entire ROM hosting websites? I get to protect their brand and all, but they already tell sites like Emuparadise to take Nintendo's games off, and they cooperated. Do they really need to get involved more with the entire site?

Man, I really hate this so much. Man, Nintendo are being a bunch of dicks over old games. I mean Sony, Sega, and Atari don't do this. Nor does Microsoft or Apple go after sites like WinWorldPC and try to shut them down for holding old Windows versions and whatnot. Sure, Nintendo wants to promote their Classic Edition systems and whatnot but they shouldn't go that far as to being assholes to their fans and people who like to use emulators. Emuparadise was an important site for me. It's where I got a lot of old games from.

THE INTERNET ARCHIVE HAS THEM ALL

THE INTERNET ARCHIVE HAS THEM ALL HAHAHAHAHA

Still waiting for the amazing Virtual Console library service, funded partially by their monetization of their fans' hard work in Youtube, to replace those ROM sites.

https://variety.com/2018/gaming/news/nintendo-wins-judgement-rom-lawsuit-1203027186/

Nintendo gets 12 million from the lawsuit against loveROMS which we know will be used to make Nintendo Switch Online free nd maybe also make all Smash Bros. season passes at a big discount for everyone.

Well, it is illegal.

Wow can't believe doing crime out in the open has consequences what a shocker!
In all seriousness though they'll never pay a dime of that money but they will have there finances wrecked for at least the next 7 years which is good enough for me.

Back