The Best Video Game Of All Time (For You)

Atari-Dude

Perfect Dark on Nintendo 64; Get PD or Get Out..
The best video game of all time... For me, it would have to be Perfect Dark for the Nintendo 64. Half of the development team for PD wanted to make a sequel to GoldenEye, while the other half wanted to make their own game I.P. with a new, sci-fi storyline and a female protagonist. It is true that they didn't get the license to make A World Is Not Enough, but had they really wanted to I'm sure they could have.

Do you know why this game was (and still is) so great? Because the small designers at Rare were given creative control and freedom; since they weren't making a sequel to GoldenEye, time wasn't an issue, therefore they could take as long as they wanted to perfect their game, and the result was practically their baby (and I love that).

I think one reason they decided not to make a GoldenEye sequel was because the excitement for it was indeed gone. They wanted to create their own fresh ideas that didn't have to fit inside of the James Bond universe. PD started development in early 1998, so development took only less than three years. They already had the base engine, but they did improve upon it greatly. Most of all, they perfected the Combat Simulator multiplayer with the humongous amount of customization options; something no newer game has done ever since to the same extent. The "polygonal textures" made the game look really crisp, and the overall "boxy" look of everything makes it look simplistic enough where the levels can be very detailed but still not confusing because of everything looking the same (I'm talking mostly about the multiplayer maps; single player levels are made to purposefully be a maze, which is a really good design choice in my opinion).

I was born in April of 2003, but I dislike almost everything new; especially music (and cars, but don't get me started on those). There are so many games out there, and many of them are indeed good games; even great. But, in my opinion, Perfect Dark is better. My fourth favourite game of all time would be The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild, my third favourite is Super Mario Odyssey, and my second favourite is definitely the original Metal Gear Solid on PlayStation. Super Mario 64 was great for the time, and I really enjoy playing it, but there's since been many better Mario games (especially Sunshine and Odyssey).

I first got Perfect Dark when I was 5 years old. I got the N64 console at the same time, and my dad said we just had to get PD with it since he believed it to be the greatest video game of all time. He also said we had to get the Expansion Pak to go with it; I barely even knew what a video game was at the time, so I just took his word for it... lol. At the time, when I first played it, I thought it was pretty okay, but nothing special. Over time, I kept trying to get better and better at the game, and we eventually played it every single day (even up to this day). That means I've played Perfect Dark for AT THE VERY MINIMUM 7,300 hours (since I've played it every for the past 10 years, at least 2 hours each time, so do the math and that's what you get...), with 10,000 - 15,000 a lot more likely. You may find that absurd, as do I, but it's true.

So, that leads me to the question I proposed in the subject bar; what do you believe the greatest game of all time is, and why?

latest

Nadeshiko Kagamihara said:
Metroid Prime

because it's really good.

You know, it really is a great game! :P

Probably Super Mario Galaxy, Paper Mario The Thousand Year Door or Super Paper Mario but I'm largely indecisive so it's hard for me to choose just one.

Everyone said:
Super Mario Galaxy for me, duh

You know, I could never really get into either Super Mario Galaxy games because I kept getting extremely nauseous while playing them... lol

i'd say Fire Emblem: Awakening is the best game of all time for me except there's always a chance i'll play some game which I actually like more
so I hesitate to call it that

I don't have a single best game of all time because I'd play them depending on how they play like but

For me, the best video games are generally ones that introduce mods and make me laugh at them.

So on that list

*Left 4 Dead 2
*Garry's Mod
*Spore: Galactic Adventures
*Grand Theft Auto V
*Super Smash Bros. for Wii U

Saltman said:

Well, it's most certainly one of the most influential games of all time, if the metric for "best game of all time" includes their legacy.

I have lots of respect for Tetris also because it's Russian.

Fire Emblem Fates due to the three diffrent storylines. That will change when Ultimate releases.

Ghost Trick: Phantom Detective. I find just about everything about it amazing: the story, and the pacing of the story in particular, the artstyle, the butter smooth animations, the UI, the soundtrack and how the music is used throughout, the charcaters... Also, in terms of being a point-and-click story heavy adventure game, it also has more exiting and challenging gameplay than that type of games usually have in my opinion. It shares aspects with other games, and you can tell it's made by the same game who created the Ace Attorney series, but as a whole it feels very unique and has a strong identity. It's funny, sad, sweet, scary... I just can't fault it.

For me, Super Paper Mario. It does so many things I wish the Mario series would do more often, like have a villain with more to them than 'i'm evil and i want to rule the world,' subverting common roles like Bowser's and even poking fun at how they are so often reused ("I'm 100% prime cut final boss!"), in addition to details that almost paint a world-within-a-game like Wreck-it Ralph, except without the characters knowing they are in a "game" as we know it and instead using "game" to mean "life" ("ending your games" etc). It never was at the expense of the believability of the world either, unlike the games after it. (Referring to the player as "a mysterious being from another dimension" and the Cragnons worshiping this being as a god of sorts, is so genius)

And above all, the obvious reason being that beautiful story. It may have made questionable gameplay choices but that story is what cements it as my favorite despite that. And considering its direct follow-up is not only my least favorite Paper Mario but my least favorite Mario RPG mostly because it did the exact opposite in the areas that I praise SPM for, well I'll shut up now because I can really start rambling on this subject at times :P

I would have to say it is a tie between Super Metroid and Castlevania: Symphony of the Night. I love those games so much. They are very enjoyable.

Back