Should There be a Super Mario Maker Sequel?

Moldomré

Moldomré. Emphasis on the "ome" despite the "é".
MarioWiki
Moldomre
Well, the question is clearly shown above. What do you think? I personally wish there would be one.

Unfortunately, the original Super Mario Maker was created for the 30th anniversary of Super Mario Bros. That makes me think that Nintendo wouldn't even think about another until, well, the 50th anniversary (The year 2035 for you math nerds)! Of course, I can always be wrong.

If there were to be one, I'd want a Super Mario 3D Maker. Although it would most likely be difficult to manipulate the landscape, there would be templates based on levels from previous 3D Mario games for you to experiment with before making one of your own. The different game graphics would be 64, Sunshine, Galaxy, and Odyssey. (Also, for manipulating the landscape, something similar to the Landscape Tool from LEGO Worlds would suit the game in my opinion.)

Something new to the game would be different control styles. 64 is only for those who want lower-grade controls, such as less traction and wall-jumps are harder to perform. Punching and kicking are also part of this style. Sunshine controls add F.L.U.D.D. and Mario is unable to crouch. Galaxy controls are the same as Super Mario 64 aside from the special spin jump and easier wall-jumps (Same with Sunshine). Odyssey controls add the awesome hat throw mechanics and, for some enemies, Mario can use Cappy to capture. New textures and animations will have to be created, of course, for Cappy and captured enemies in different graphics; same with F.L.U.D.D. of course.

Yes.

Definitely. Even if we're still going 2D. Super Mario Maker felt like it was missing several features, including important ones including slopes (spike balls were also something I've wanted but couldn't find) and level themes. There is also tons of arbitrary limits like object limits and how many levels you can store in your game. I think it's a bit much to ask but some people were wanting world design to so perhaps they can link their levels into a cohesive structure as well as try to design secret exits. The tiling is also a pain in the ass if I recall correctly, as background decors (such as flowers) seem to be randomly generated, so I like some more control over the tiling. Also, I wish there was more precision when placing tiles rather than just drawing stuff. Finally, there should be an option to disable the music while level editing, because it can get annoying over time. The shaking feature is dumb (can we just use a submenu or something), and I'm not a fan of how some enemies transform, such as Dry Bones turning to Fish Bones underwater.

Oh, and maybe don't force people to go online and play other people's levels, such as the Expert/Hard 100 Mario challenge?

There should also be an additional way to share levels. For instance, the game can generate a .png thumbnail into your .sd card, and this thumbnail can be uploaded and shared. You can put these .png files into a folder in an sd card, and the game can read them as full levels.

Anyhow, they have to find a way to make them more appealing than the established level makers. They failed this with the first Mario Maker; its only real advantage would be ease of use, which isn't an easy feat, but it's not beneficial for anyone else who's accustomed to Luna or Reggie!. I doubt they'll add more advanced features, but at the same time, they're even missing basic things.

Yes.

Here's what I want out of it:

*Slopes. You absolutely need slopes. There's no excuse not to have them.
*Have more style themes.
*Spiked. Balls. For automatic enemy murder levels.
*Save your levels as embedded .png thumbnail files on your SD card, like it does for creature, building, vehicle, and adventure information in Spore. This makes it very easy to share with other users and gives you a visual description of the level.
*Use a better and more dedicated website than Miiverse to store levels in like Sporepedia.
*Have a better background music playing or at least an option to disable the music. The one that plays constantly when you make a level gets annoying and grating after several loops, which you'll spend a lot of time in if you intend on making good levels. Better yet have an option for custom music.
*Make your own custom Costume Mario sprite and sound effects.

Speaking of 3D landscapes, again, I bring up Spore (this time Galactic Adventures) for its environment tool as inspiration on how to work with 3D landscapes (though WhiteHole is a good fan-made modding tool for the Galaxy games).

Basically make it like Super Mario Bros X's world designing tools and objects from the entire series.

While we're at the SMBX thing let's make Luigi Peach and Toad playable too.

As far as I know, Super Mario Bros. X doesn't have an undo function lol. But I like the flashy level design. Very easy to test a level too, though it's annoying you have to save first before testing.

I'm fond of how it's pretty flexible. You can have any music per level, and you can change how sprites appear in an individual level. I made Mario's Pad in Princess Cliche have blood water. :P

Super Mario Bros. X lets you use custom sprites and that's really awesome.

Super Mario Bros X also feels janky and plays like shit but thats to be expected of most fan things.

All of your points are great; never heard of SMBX, I'll have to check it out sometime. I want something as deep as Super Mario 63's level designer, but in 3D. I'm fine with an upgraded 2D maker as well, I guess.

Mcmadness said:
Super Mario Bros X also feels janky and plays like shit but thats to be expected of most fan things.
What's exactly so bad about its gameplay?

The Invasion from SMBX has some pretty stupid level design in some areas. Like, in the forest parts of the game, there are ridiculously long levels without any checkpoints, and those aren't even at the end of the game. Going through the earlier parts of the level again and again just to reach the part where I struggle in and die consistently in isn't fun nor challenging, it's tedious.

Princess Mario said:
Mcmadness said:
What's exactly so bad about its gameplay?

It just doesn't feel right. It lacks polish.

Regarding ideas I would like:
- Backwards compatibility with all original Mario Maker levels
- 3D Mario Maker. I would like to be able to seamlessly switch from 2D to 3D like Super Paper Mario which could open up many design possibilities.
- Playlists, ie: levels that can transition into other levels. This way you could build your own Mario game. Branched playlists would be neat as well so you could add multiple / secret exits. A world map builder could tie in with this as well.
- Extra playable characters or costumes outside of SMB.
- More music options and music playlists

Regarding saving levels as a png, why? Local sharing is an unusual use-case for Wii U and it's already a thing in 3DS. Plus Nintendo are pretty notorious for keeping their stuff on lockdown. I'm not even sure how it would work with a png anyway given you'd need to save locations of invisible blocks and what items are contained in blocks. You could make the pixels a different colour but it would be probably easier as a nested XML or JSON file.

Oh, and maybe don't force people to go online and play other people's levels, such as the Expert/Hard 100 Mario challenge?
It's been a while but I don't remember it ever being forced?

fantanoice said:
I'm not even sure how it would work with a png anyway given you'd need to save locations of invisible blocks and what items are contained in blocks. You could make the pixels a different colour but it would be probably easier as a nested XML or JSON file.

Spore has a system that creates creature/vehicle/building/adventure image thumbnails that have embedded data in it whenever you make anything; for example, if you ever saw thumbnail images of Spore creatures, you can actually click and drag the image into the game and actually have the data transfer into there.

501053472567.png

This is an image of a thumb for a Spore adventure, which in of itself contains the data for the level. If you click and drag this exact thumbnail into Spore: Galactic Adventures, it'll open and have everything required in place.

The reason I like this because it's visual data and it's even easier to sort than imageless captions, additionally, it's easier to back-up. Super Mario Maker 3DS also doesn't let you share courses on the internet either as far as I read on Nintendo's site and MarioWiki, whereas this method lets you upload to wherever you like.

Nintendo being stingy about their stuff on lockdown is something they could improve on as well and isn't an excuse to make level-sharing more difficult than it should be.

I think having a single share button is easier than putting something on an SD card that you have to take somewhere. But each to their own.

It's more that they understandably lock down their stuff so competitors can't make a better one or people don't put undesirable stuff into their game. It's not great for modders but their priorities are making sure children don't end up seeing lewd pictures / levels. Considering Spore had the reputation of dicks everywhere and the recent Super Mario Odyssey stuff strongly suggests people would abuse a system like that.

Being able to embed data into an image is pretty neat though. I should try writing something to do that.

On that note, the programmer in me would really like a way to script custom behaviour in the game, whether it's drag-and-drop, Game Maker-style stuff or full on programming. But that would also be very un-Nintendo.

Spore actually uses more systems. It has a designated website that you automatically share to when you click the "share" button in-game (to Sporepedia) and people can easily download it to their game through there (like subscribing to a Sporecast or using the in-game browser). The .png share method is available as an option when you don't have a Spore account or if the website goes down.

Though I do think your point about Nintendo wanting to protect their stuff is...understandable (though I never really encountered lewd creations in Sporepedia, I just search what I want to find...maybe you'll find lewd stuff if you try looking for it, idk). Just something I don't agree with cuz I love them mods myself.

fantanoice said:
I think having a single share button is easier than putting something on an SD card that you have to take somewhere. But each to their own.
Well, Spore can do both, as it also has a share button. So it wouldn't be a bad idea to do both too. Whenever the server for Nintendo's levels goes down or if you need to store levels in a safe place, you can always nab thumbnails from other hosts or upload your thumbnails to a cloud or something. Extra security.

Absolutely! But maybe with 3D level, and styles are: Super Mario 64, Super Mario Galaxy, Super Mario 3D World and Super Mario Odyssey.

just make super mario bros. 2 (us) maker

I think so. I think that they should add some more enemies, obstacles and slopes, at least, but I also think it would be nice if they added a few more graphical styles (Super Mario Bros. 2 and Super Mario Land come to mind) and with those styles bring elements from those games. And if you finished the 100 Mario or whatever challenge in a style where in the original game you don't rescue Peach, you'd rescue whoever got kidnapped in that game. I also think the addition of upwards scrolling levels would be good too instead of just left to right (Like in towers and some of the beanstalk ones), and a multiplayer mode for playing through the levels once they're made. If they did make a sequel though, the most unrealistic thing I'd like to see would be the Mystery Mushroom usable in all graphical styles, including the New Super Mario Bros. one, but that really doesn't have much chance of happening.

Super Mario 3D Maker. I like the sound of that. Although in addition to the 64, Sunshine, Galaxy, and Odyssey themes, it should also have a 3D Land/World theme.

A sequel with more 2D themes would be nice, too. Maybe it could have a Lost Levels theme with Poison Mushrooms and Red Piranha Plants, a Super Mario USA theme with turnips and Shy Guys and the like, a Super Mario Land theme with all the wacko enemies and power-ups (and monochrome graphics), and a Yoshi's Island theme with Flutter Jumps, eggs, more Shy Guys, and of course Yoshi. We still need a modern theme, though...like a Super Mario Run theme, with Mario automatically running and vaulting over enemies.

Eh, why have a lost levels theme, it's exactly the same as Super Mario Bros. Just add in the Poison Mushroom and aforementioned Piranha Plant. Oh wait...

What if some sprites could have, say, alts? Like you can swap between different versions of a sprite, like say, swap between a grassy ground block and a rocky ground block.

I am in favour of a Super Mario Maker sequel, in which certain requested features are added, and also have backwards compatibility (making it so that original Super Mario Maker levels are also playable).

I think that a few other themes could also be included, such as: snow levels, partial water levels, forest levels, sky levels, town levels (like the pre-release level in New Super Mario Bros. DS) and the ability to change day and night.

Another feature I hope could make it is the ability to choose characters, so that you don't just use Mario, but you can choose the level to have Luigi or Toad or even surprises like Daisy.

Thank you for reading.

You know, I forgot, I'd really love a Super Mario Bros. 2 theme. Needs more love and I had always been fond of picking up bad guys and tossing them around. There's also a bunch of creative stuff you could do by standing on a Shy Guy's head.

Back