Author Topic: The Mario & Sonic Clean-up Thread  (Read 493 times)

BBQ Turtle

• Princess L of the Shy Guys
  • Wiki Patroller
  • Magikoopa
  • Crazy sponsors lady.
    • View Profile
The Mario & Sonic Clean-up Thread
« on: June 26, 2018, 10:15:37 AM »
Now that I've finished with the sponsors, I've decided that the next big thing I'm going to attempt to do is clean up the Mario & Sonic coverage, which at the moment, is rather bad. I'm planning on starting with the London 2012 Olympics for the 3DS, and I can do all the games except Sochi 2014 and Rio 2016 arcade if needs be, but some help would be appreciated! Anyway, I'm mainly going to use this thread to check things like whether something needs a proposal or whether what I'm about to do goes against some obscure policy or something, and potentially ask for some help with template / more complex coding, which I'm terrible at.

Anyway, speaking of checking things, I'm planning on starting with filling in the missing events from the 3DS 2012 game- which is almost all of them. But the thing is, currently, all events that share the same or similar names are placed on the same page, despite them being played completely differently. This means that a lot of information in the opening section is unrelated to the event in a specific game, the infoboxes are either overloaded with bits of information from various games or missing entirely, and there are whole sections dedicated to a specific aspect in one game that is entirely missing in another, and that's not going to get any better the more games an event appears in. 100m Dash is an appropriately bad example. So I'm wondering if each different version of the event from each game should be split out onto a different article, with a disambiguation page for the main title, and separate articles focussing only on the controls, missions, playable characters, etc. from the single installment. Obviously, this won't be a problem for events that only appear in one game, such as Duel Beach Volleyball, which can just be made as a single article, but this leads to one other problem beforehand- How do we name the individual articles? I'm thinking of articles separately for both DS/3DS and Wii/Wii U versions of events, so how would we name them if this is how we go ahead, something like 100m Dash (Mario & Sonic at the Olympic Games Wii)? I'd appreciate some feedback on the ideas and any other suggestions for ways we could go about this, this is just my initial idea.
« Last Edit: January 16, 2019, 03:52:26 PM by BBQ Turtle »

Yoshi the SSM

• (Space Station Manager)
  • King Bowser
  • I'm Yoshi the Space Station Manager from the wiki.
    • View Profile
Re: The Mario & Sonic Clean-up Thread
« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2018, 11:20:04 AM »
For sports that are taken from real life sports, refer to MarioWiki:Generic subjects. Which the page itself refers what to do. Basically, if it functions differently from the real event, then it can be split. But, not if it is minor. Dream Events easily fit these and are called Dream before for that purpose. Regular Events need to be checked. This is going to be the main focus from the page. Also, if sports are minorly different from each other for all sports that share a name, probably be best to keep them together. Otherwise split all with the exceptions of: if they are of the same game name or if they are that way for that console only (For example, keep Wii games together if they are the same). However, I am not the one to be asking what to do for names except the game name for same games.
I don't have time to give you a ride, I am managing a space station. And ask me something here:www.marioboards.com/index.php?topic=38633.msg1934343#msg1934343

Baby Luigi

• Nick, you need to find a woman who hates herself, she'll love you.
  • Awards Committee
  • Mushroom Attendant
  • 🇷🇺 Малыш Луиджи 🇷🇺 Патриотическая
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2018, 02:38:53 PM »
Welp, currently, Cemu cannot run Mario & Sonic at the Sochi nor Mario & Sonic at the Rio Olympic games. So much for help there.
RIP B. "Walkazo" Dalziel. December 16, 1991 to March 27, 2016.

Alex95

• NIWA Nut
  • Wiki Administrator
  • Dry Bowser
    • View Profile
    • Power Master Games
« Reply #3 on: June 26, 2018, 03:10:17 PM »
I only have the first game, and I'm terribly uneducated on it.

YoshiEgg1990

• The Yoshi lover
  • Spiny
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 26, 2018, 04:36:45 PM »
Wow, you finished with the sponsors? Amazing job!!
Your friendly Yoshi Egg, the Yoshi fan YoshiEgg1990.

Duskull

• Spooky Ghost
  • Retired Wiki Staff
  • Star Spirit
  • Yoshi876
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 26, 2018, 05:52:11 PM »
As far as I'm aware I don't have any of the Olympic series, unless I still have the first Winter Olympics lying around somewhere. But if you want anything specific, shoot me a PM and I'm happy to shine a Spotlight on it.

Mario Party X

• Party Cannon scheduled to make the soundtrack for the next game.
  • Donkey Kong
  • LeftyGreenMario
  • R.I.P. Walkazo December 16, 1991 - March 27, 2016
    • View Profile
    • RationalWiki
« Reply #6 on: June 26, 2018, 06:54:20 PM »
It's very commendable what you're doing since I think the Mario & Sonic aspect of the wiki is pretty embarrassing. Don't blame the editors though, because the developers don't bother making a worthwhile game (in my opinion) but still.

TheFlameChomp

• Wiki Administrator
  • Spiny
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 26, 2018, 07:12:44 PM »
I have Mario & Sonic at the Olympic Winter Games, so if anything needs to be cleaned up, I could probably help when I'm not as busy as I am currently.

Yoshi the SSM

• (Space Station Manager)
  • King Bowser
  • I'm Yoshi the Space Station Manager from the wiki.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 26, 2018, 07:56:34 PM »
Forgot to mention. I have 3DS Rio and Wii London. Nothing else. I can help with either.
I don't have time to give you a ride, I am managing a space station. And ask me something here:www.marioboards.com/index.php?topic=38633.msg1934343#msg1934343

BBQ Turtle

• Wiki Patroller
  • Magikoopa
  • Crazy sponsors lady.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 29, 2018, 05:51:10 PM »
I'm just thinking, would the thing about the disambiguation pages for the different events with the same names need to go through a proposal first? And what about the naming, would that be able to go on the same one, or would that need a separate one entirely? If a proposal is / proposals are required, I'd appreciate some advice about where they'd need to be put, potential options or anything that would need to be covered in them, thanks.

Edit (10.7.18): There's now a proposal to split Plus and/or Duel Events off of Dream Event, you can vote on it here if you're interested.

Edit (11.7.18): A second go at the proposal to change the way name sharing events is now up and running here (I apparently forgot to mention the first one), opinions would be appreciated!
« Last Edit: July 10, 2018, 07:32:58 PM by BBQ Turtle »

BBQ Turtle

• Wiki Patroller
  • Magikoopa
  • Crazy sponsors lady.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 28, 2018, 04:30:21 PM »
Is anyone here who has the London 2012 3DS game able to rip some sprites from it? At the moment, there are only three that are currently required (Being the red, green and blue stars for the event's difficulty, I did try and make a thingy for that in the {{event-infobox}} template and then figured out I'd need the images to make them work), but in the future (And quite a way in the future, they wouldn't be needed any time before October at the very earliest- and that's just me being extremely optimistic) the story mode episode icons (The ones with characters in and the camera) and badges would be useful to have around. It's not a problem if no one can do it, it'd just be quite useful- the stars are the only other thing the event articles need now- and I'd appreciate it if anyone can help. :)

Mario Party X

• Party Cannon scheduled to make the soundtrack for the next game.
  • Donkey Kong
  • LeftyGreenMario
  • R.I.P. Walkazo December 16, 1991 - March 27, 2016
    • View Profile
    • RationalWiki
« Reply #11 on: July 28, 2018, 05:12:11 PM »
I believe I have the copy of the game, but my sister and I are able to take clean screenshots and do a dirty crop or something, if that's what you want.

Baby Luigi

• Nick, you need to find a woman who hates herself, she'll love you.
  • Awards Committee
  • Mushroom Attendant
  • 🇷🇺 Малыш Луиджи 🇷🇺 Патриотическая
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 28, 2018, 05:13:18 PM »
I don't know if there's anyone who can rip sprites from 3DS to begin with, at least, for games not covered in the Spriter's Resource already. Your best bet is to find someone who has the 3DS London game and HANS software (if it works, not guaranteed work on some games) to take quality screenshots.

Don't look at me like that.

(lefty fatass ninja'd me)
RIP B. "Walkazo" Dalziel. December 16, 1991 to March 27, 2016.

BBQ Turtle

• Wiki Patroller
  • Magikoopa
  • Crazy sponsors lady.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 28, 2018, 05:37:14 PM »
I believe I have the copy of the game, but my sister and I are able to take clean screenshots and do a dirty crop or something, if that's what you want.
I'd just need one image of each of the three colours of star without a background for the infoboxes, if that would work that'd be great.

I don't know if there's anyone who can rip sprites from 3DS to begin with, at least, for games not covered in the Spriter's Resource already. Your best bet is to find someone who has the 3DS London game and HANS software (if it works, not guaranteed work on some games) to take quality screenshots.
I wasn't sure if ripping sprites is the right way to go about it, that was just my first guess. I checked the Spriter's Resource before I even started on the articles and there's nothing there from 2012 3DS, so perhaps it can't be easily ripped from... or perhaps no one likes the game enough to care. All the joys of attempting to cover an unpopular game series.

BBQ Turtle

• Wiki Patroller
  • Magikoopa
  • Crazy sponsors lady.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 20, 2018, 04:36:04 PM »
Update time! I've now managed to make all of the event articles for 2012 3DS, and Yoshi the SSM's helped out with 2012 Wii and is just tying up the loose ends on the final few Dream Events at the moment. I've also made a small start on 2008 Wii, but unfortunately the file with all of the events unlocked and a lot of the other stuff collected has been deleted, so I'm having to start over again just to get all of the events back. Also, the problem that's delaying the creation of home console articles has been extended even further, so I'm unlikely to be able to do them any time soon, but I'm using as much time as I possibly can for it. I'm also planning to try and buy a copy of Sochi 2014 after Christmas, so hopefully I should be able to start covering that at some point or another. Anyway, other than that, the plan's roughly the same, so I'm moving onto 2008 DS next, and if anyone could get hold of those star icons, that would be much appreciated.

Edit (2.1.19): Alright, I now have two pieces of good news, and two pieces of bad news. First piece of bad news: I can't get back to the proper schedule for home console instalments until April- I don't know when in April, but some time that month. At least, looking at it positively, I now have a timescale for that problem. First piece of good news: I now have Sochi 2014! Second piece of bad news: I don't have any Wii Motion Plus devices/Wii Motion Plus Wii remotes, so I can't play it yet, but I'm trying to get hold of some of those as soon as possible. Second piece of good news: I've tracked down all of the missing cases and manuals for the handheld instalments, so I can get all the official descriptions and stuff from there again now.

Edit (16.1.19): And now we've got the controllers. Had a decent hour and a half play session tonight, from what I've seen so far, I'd say it's the second worst in the series. That said there are some good events, along with a few dodgy voice clips, a very creepy character select screen Donkey Kong and stupid "1 male and 1 female character" locking in Figure Skating Pairs (I really wanted to put some stupid people like Waluigi and Bowser together :( ). So I can put this on the pile of things for me to cover now, though I won't be able to write articles on it for a while... I might be able to have a few done by the end of the year?
« Last Edit: January 16, 2019, 03:50:49 PM by BBQ Turtle »