Wii U disc read errors

YoshiFlutterJump

Power Star
MarioWiki
YoshiFlutterJump
I've been facing major disc problems with my Wii U for a while now, but today I got so fed up with them, I decided to post here. The thing is, different discs give me different problems.

NSMBU will start loading, but hang up on the startup screen after five seconds. This seems to be a problem with my console as opposed to my disc, but I don’t know for sure. This is the NSLU bundle that came with my Wii U Deluxe, by the way.

Mario 3D World will just show up as "invalid disc". This seems to be a disc problem, but again, I don’t know for sure.

Wii Music will show up as "invalid disc" on Wii Mode. This is strange, as it plays perfectly on my Wii.

NSMBW, Mario Kart Wii, and Mario Party 8 will launch on Wii Mode, but will give me a bunch of disc read errors, preventing me from playing anything. This also happens on my Wii, although the problems are not nearly as severe and the games are still playable.

All other games I own work perfectly, and I have a whole lot of games.

So what's happening here? Is my Wii U broken, or do I just happen to have a bunch of broken games? I only have one Wii U, so I can’t be sure whether it’s the console or the games. I've been thinking about contacting Nintendo. Maybe they'd give me free digital copies of the games, I dunno...

I had that problem before, it is the laser that reads it. I tried to play my ment condition Mario Kart 8 and the vast majority of my Wii games and it said invalid disk, also the Wii games worked fine on my Wii. And DON'T try to use the use toothpaste for a scratched disk, I debunked that myth myself. As for the the laser that reads it you can do it yourself, but it is very difficult, I would say that you will need to send it in for repairs. I sent in my Wii U for repairs and boom those games worked on it, I hope this helps! 8)

It's definitely your console, since I have similar disc reading issues, and now my Wii U is starting to face them, having trouble reading the Smash 4 disc.

The Wii U Lens Cleaning Kit could possibly work but it could also be a component that's damaged in there.

If you're going to send your console, one thing to say: find a way to back-up your saves, because they could just give you a new console instead of repairing your system.

I looked online and failed to find a Wii U Lens Cleaning Kit under $30, so that rules out that possibility.

It seems that the next thing to do is contact Nintendo about it and hope that they'll say more than "Wii U is dead, go play something else" or something like that.

Also, how can I back up my Wii U save files?

I've been experiencing the same issue, but only specifically with my copy of Tokyo Mirage Session #FE. I believe it might be the disc since all of my other Wii U games perform flawlessly.

Sunshine Yoshi said:
It seems that the next thing to do is contact Nintendo about it and hope that they'll say more than "Wii U is dead, go play something else" or something like that.

No, they won't do that. They'll probably suggest you to send it in for repairs or something. At worst, they'll tell you that the Wii U is no longer supported and that you're out of luck.

But you're lucky, the Wii U is still supported on the list of consoles they'll help with

Sunshine Yoshi said:
Also, how can I back up my Wii U save files?

http://en-americas-support.nintendo.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/2865/~/how-to-back-up-save-data

Nintendo still continues to repair the Wii mini models, not the original GameCube compatible one or the Family Edition. Nintendo stops repairing systems before they become like 15 years old, like for example the GameCube. Nintendo continued to repair GameCubes until 2015.

I don't see how your post is relevant to the topic at all, because the problem at hand has nothing to do with the Wii.

Anyway, I found a small little temporary fix if your Wii U faces disc read invalid disc issues: try unplugging your Wii U, then plug it back in say 10 minutes later. It's nothing that'll fix your Wii U in the long term though, because I feel like my Wii U disc read problems is getting worse.

Russian Baby Luigi said:
I don't see how your post is relevant to the topic at all, because the problem at hand has nothing to do with the Wii.

Anyway, I found a small little temporary fix if your Wii U faces disc read invalid disc issues: try unplugging your Wii U, then plug it back in say 10 minutes later. It's nothing that'll fix your Wii U in the long term though, because I feel like my Wii U disc read problems is getting worse.
Oh, thanks! I'll try it on NSMBU and SM3DW; I really miss being able to play a Mario platformer on my Wii U.

Back