Author Topic: Mario Awards Killing Game 2: Despair Moon (7/15 start, check back for updates!)  (Read 5166 times)

Honoka's #5 Fan

• Retired Wiki Staff
  • Celestial Guide
  • Raven Effect
  • That's what I call hamburgers
    • View Profile
Re: Mario Awards Killing Game 2: Despair Moon
« Reply #20 on: May 31, 2018, 11:11:18 PM »
It's time to duel/kill junko

Nabber

• Mushroom Attendant
  • nabber
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 31, 2018, 11:12:59 PM »
i guess if shoey plays i have to play

Nijino Yume

• Goal: Cherish my friends with gifts before I leave them.
  • Star Spirit
  • Smg2daisy
  • Work, Save, Study, And Be Professional.
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 31, 2018, 11:21:26 PM »
flops

Hobbes

• Wiki Administrator
  • Core 'Shroom Staff
  • Star Spirit
  • tucayo
  • Poll Committee Vice-Chairman
    • View Profile
    • The 'Shroom
« Reply #23 on: May 31, 2018, 11:33:03 PM »

This "multiple games running at once and then merging into one final game" thing is a dream come true and I couldn't be more excited :eekdance:

Beowulf

• Koopa Troopa
  • Dupe Face
  • Another Dupe for my Collection
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: June 01, 2018, 12:05:32 AM »
I hear this is where fun is supposed to happen
Once you stare into the deep abyss of dupes, and the dupe stares back. Don't Blink.

Mayan Ryan

• jav told me this was a good idea
  • Star Spirit
  • Yoshiwaker
  • why did i listen to jav
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: June 01, 2018, 01:20:34 AM »
somebody told me to join this xd

The Pyro Guy

• Poll Committee Chairperson
  • Poll Committee
  • King Bowser
  • "no"
    • View Profile
    • watch my terrible videos
« Reply #26 on: June 01, 2018, 02:30:46 AM »
*laughs in kazoo*

Shy Guy on Wheels

• Definitely on Wheels
  • King Bowser
  • Octagon?
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: June 01, 2018, 02:52:48 AM »
I have no Killing Game memes to use in my sign-up, so this will be a generic sign-up.

fantanoice

• Vee vee
  • Power Star
  • I can see through time
    • View Profile
    • Twitch
« Reply #28 on: June 02, 2018, 03:07:20 AM »
Posting so I get updates~
RIP B. "Walkazo" Dalziel. December 16, 1991 to March 27, 2016.

<< Watch Pokemon Let's Go! Eevee Nuzlocke Stream >>
Ask Me Stuff

Gilgamesh

• Gate of Babylon
  • Core 'Shroom Staff
  • Power Star
  • GBAToad
  • do you ever yearn for the soft touch of a pancake
    • View Profile
Re: Mario Awards Killing Game 2: Despair Moon (sign-ups close June 13th!)
« Reply #29 on: June 05, 2018, 06:49:56 PM »
If you are interested in joining, we still have two more slots to fill! Sign-ups will be closed on June 13th so we can finalise the role list and balance stuff for the player count we have at that point, so there's still plenty of time to join in. Likewise, if you'd rather not play, please try to drop out before that date. Any players who sign up after June 13th or after we hit the max player count of 30 will be added as replacements! :dk2:

Arataka Reigen

• The Greatest Psychic of the 21st Century
  • Core 'Shroom Staff
  • Star Spirit
  • Gabumon
  • 100% Legit
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: June 06, 2018, 07:48:08 AM »
I submit myself to the chains of... the real estate business.

Duskull

• Spooky Ghost
  • Retired Wiki Staff
  • Star Spirit
  • Yoshi876
    • View Profile
Re: Mario Awards Killing Game 2: Despair Moon (sign ups close June 13!)
« Reply #31 on: June 06, 2018, 03:29:57 PM »
It looks like I may have grabbed the last spot

Yoshi the SSM

• (Space Station Manager)
  • King Bowser
  • I'm Yoshi the Space Station Manager from the wiki.
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: June 12, 2018, 10:00:28 PM »
This is not a sign up. I would rather play the actual Luigi's Mansion: Dark Moon. I just wanted to wish Luigi 64DD and Alex95 good luck. Also, I see that there is approximately 24 hours left and 1 sign up is still open. As Yoshi876 isn't the last to sign.
I don't have time to give you a ride, I am managing a space station. And ask me something here:www.marioboards.com/index.php?topic=38633.msg1934343#msg1934343

Yukiho Hagiwara

• Ace Idol
  • Star Spirit
  • Epic Nitwit
    • View Profile
    • Backloggery
« Reply #33 on: June 12, 2018, 10:37:34 PM »
i'll give it a shot

Gilgamesh

• Gate of Babylon
  • Core 'Shroom Staff
  • Power Star
  • GBAToad
    • View Profile
Re: Mario Awards Killing Game 2: Despair Moon (replacements needed!)
« Reply #34 on: June 13, 2018, 10:33:17 PM »
And with that, sign-ups are officially closed. We will be finalising the game over the coming week, and we will inform everyone of a concrete start date ASAP! Thanks for signing up!

Dream Stone Spirit

• Dry Bowser
  • YoshiFlutterJump
  • Fine! I'll be happy to...NOT TELL YOU!
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: June 30, 2018, 12:47:24 AM »
Aw man, I come and signups are long gone.

I know I'm really late, but can I sign up as a replacement?

Azusa Miura

• Wiki Administrator
  • Shine Sprite
  • Turboo
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: July 10, 2018, 03:09:01 AM »
Since the start date has passed with no updates, is it ok to ask what's been going on?

Gilgamesh

• Gate of Babylon
  • Core 'Shroom Staff
  • Power Star
  • GBAToad
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: July 10, 2018, 05:15:42 AM »
We've been working towards finishing the game for a start date of July 15th, sending out roles on the 14th.

Apologies for the long wait, there have been a few issues in planning, but everything is now sorted. If anything comes up between now and our expected start, we'll let everyone know.

Thanks for being patient  :luigi:

Gilgamesh

• Gate of Babylon
  • Core 'Shroom Staff
  • Power Star
  • GBAToad
    • View Profile
As promised, here's a big info dump of almost everything basic you need to know about playing Awards Killing Game 2: Despair Moon!

Before I continue, remember that this is just a game first and foremost, and that you're still playing with real people over the internet. Be respectful and kind when playing the game!

Playing the Game
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Killing Game has *deep* **immersive** gameplay, and you'll astound yourself at how easy it is to become lost in each case that you participate in.

Look at that! Such fun, wow!

To make your own memories such as this, you will be assigned a role, which has its own unique character, 'Stats, Forbidden Action, and Abilities. Your role is wholly unique to you, and grants you a variety of ultimate talents to use in your night action PMs, or while investigating during the day. Be careful about revealing this information to others, you might find yourself at a disadvantage against someone else if you let them betray your trust!

You will be separated into one of two mansions with 15 players each, which will have their own separate game threads. When you receive your role in the coming days you will be informed which mansion you are in and which game thread you need to keep an eye on.

Night Phases

The goal of the Killing Game is to be the last player standing. To achieve this, players have the ability to submit actions in which they may (or may not) attempt a murder on another player, as well as explore the mansion they are in. This occurs at Night. Players can submit any amount of actions in a paragraph or list, but try to be smart about it, as well as reasonable and succinct. There are other things you need to consider as well, such as the nights Weather Effect, and any Incentives we've given to try and entice players into submitting kill attempts.

Here are some made-up examples of night action PMs to help you get an idea for things.

Quote from: not a good example
Hi, I'd like to murder Toad. When he walks into the Lava Room, push him into the conspicuous vat of lava in the center of the room, and mutter "your LIFE is in another castle". then i run around the whole mansion opening every single door and screaming at people while i do this kthxbai
Quote from: angered host
we don't have a lava room, please

Quote from: a better example
- wake up, grab my pillowcase
- head to the printer room, print off 300 copies of Pulitzer Prize winning investigative journalism article Daisy's Physical Appearance Debunked on thick cardboard, and bind them with my belt, stuff them into my pillowcase
- wave hi to people i encounter, ask people "whats updog", check doors for traps when i enter them
- check out that mysterious box in the kitchen that says "UNDER NO CIRCUMSTANCES SHOULD YOU OPEN THIS", open it
- if no ones around, run to the Lava Room, position the stack of papers above the door and leave it ajar, so that anyone who walks in will be hit with my papers
- wait for someone to be knocked out, throw their body into the vat of lava thats there
- head to the gym to make it look like i was sweating from exercising instead of standing next to a vat of lava all night
- head back to bed
Quote from: slightly more sympathetic host
we still don't have a lava room oh my god

Investigation Phases

After everyone has sent in their plans for the night, the game will have a brief intermission period in which you can save your game and take a break before the trial begins. You will receive a PM from the host summarising your night actions, along with anything you might have seen or heard. This is your testimony, and this will not be an exhaustive list. There are lots of minor things that could occur that you may not notice, due to focusing on something else actually important. Too much information and we might clog the investigation a little too hard with testimony.

As a general disclaimer, you might notice that not everything you submit actually happens, and this is due to:
- the limits of absolute freedom being pushed at times
- your stats limiting your actions in gameplay-ish ways
- omitting things logically can't happen
- you dead, son
- other justifiable reasons!
Us hosts will try to minimise the amount of things that are cut from the final round of night action meshing and make sure that the key things you want to occur occur within reason. There is a chance that non-lethal actions will be upgraded to lethal actions if no proper kill attempts occur, so be cautious in your actions if you don't want to become a murderer!

Once all night actions have been sent out, the Day phase begins! Someone will have been eliminated in the previous night phase, and we'll provide a brief amount of notes that should kick-start your investigation into the death of your fellow player. Your goal during the day is to make sure they don't get away with it! Share your results from the previous night (no direct quotes, only paraphrasing), ask questions to your fellow players, and investigate anything in your mansion by posting investigation requests in the game thread only.

Spoiler: Examples (click to show/hide)

You can also privately clarify things in your testimony with the hosts via DMs, but remember, you cannot directly quote your testimony in whole, or you will be removed from the game! Posting your rolecard, or sharing any quotes from the host you receive in DMs will also result in you being modkilled and removed from the game without so much as a participation trophy.

There are some things which are not going to be accepted as valid actions. This includes fingerprinting (i.e., examining doorknobs and whatnot for fingerprints that let you know who entered what room), sweeping (i.e. submitting a large-scale investigation across the whole mansion for one item), bogeymaning (i.e. talking to the bogeyman underneath a players bed for clues about their starting actions in their room), and publicly asking for clarification on things in your testimony.

About halfway through the investigation period, we will allow voting in the game thread to occur. Simply vote for the person you think is the killer in bold text like so: ##Vote:Person With Vendetta Against Toads. You can change this vote as much as you like throughout the day, until the end of the phase. We might provide a Solve Incentive as an in-game reward to players who vote correctly. If the killer is correctly identified and lynched, all players who participated in the event will receive a token prize. If an innocent player is lynched, however, the killer gains additional tokens for successfully covering up their murder. In both cases, the game continues with another night phase, and the cycle repeats itself like a sickening circle of death.

Rolecards

Look forward to receiving one of these soon! Here's an example:

Character: Who you are. Embrace it!
Ultimate Title: Fancy nickname that reminds you of Danganronpa even though most of us aren't gifted anime high school students.
Bio: Brief flavour about your character, may not be entirely spoiler free!
Abilities: This section details your powers and abilities that you can call upon according to the guidelines given. There are some powerful roles in play!
Stats: Gives you a statline for the game (each from 1-5), which affects how your actions are handled by the hosts in various ways! There may be some ways to boost these...
--- Strength - Affects your ability to perform physical acts and resist physical attacks.
--- Stealth - Affects your ability to move around undetected, and hide evidence.
--- Speed - Affects your ability to move quickly around the mansion and escape potential attackers.
--- Stamina - Affects how much you can do at night without looking tired, or collapsing midway through your actions.
--- Social - Affects your ability to interact with and notice others.
Forbidden Action: Lists the one condition you have which you cannot break. This can take on a variety of forms, but will instakill you if it is disobeyed. Be mindful of this during your action submissions!

And that's really it.

As far as deep immersive gameplay goes, you should get the idea by now. Don't hesitate to ask questions to any of the hosts if you need something gameplay-related to be clarified!

I'll make a post about other gimmicks in Despair Moon in a short while, but for now, this is a reminder that the game is definitely still happening! :dk2:

Alex95

• NIWA Nut
  • Wiki Administrator
  • Dry Bowser
    • View Profile
    • Power Master Games
Hype to play a game I've never played before and will most likely die Round 1 :wario: