Space World 1997 demo for Pokemon Gold leaked

winstein

Justice is not limited, it is a universal quality
Awards Committee
MarioWiki
winstein
Thanks to the combined efforts of both the person who got a copy of the demo and the hackers, the Pokemon Gold beta cartridge's contents are leaked, and we could see some tidbits in more detail! For one, you can see what Pokemon were planned in the games, but ended up being scrapped.

If you want to see more information of the game, this is the link to the spreadsheet.

The beta Pokemon sprites are in full display below, and I imagine it's going to be the one that interests most Pokemon fans:
DegnoNAVwAEUda7.jpg:large

From the image, we can see that more evolutions of old Pokemon were planned, but for one reason or another, they ended up being unused. For example, Weepinbell would have had an alternative evolution like Gloom had, and we could even have a Tangela pre-evolution AND evolution way before Roselia became the first Pokemon to receive both of them at once. A Grass-type Eevee evolution was also in the cards, but is likely left for another time due to space constraints.

Of course, we also got a look at how the new Pokemon looked like before changes were made. Tyrogue looked a little odd, and I daresay it originally looked more like Hitmonchan than Hitmonlee. The Jumpluff family are lacking in limbs save for a tail, and you can even see how different the fire starter ended up being. The Girafarig in this image even reflects the pre-release image of that Pokemon. Also, if the spreadsheet were to be believed, Slowking could've evolved from Slowbro, rather than being from a branched evolution (I used to think that Slowking were Slowbro's evolution).

The new Pokemon might even have evolutions or pre-evolutions, and some of them are weird. Qwilfish could have had an evolution, but I imagine the design went on to be the basis of Whiscash. Girafarig could've evolve from a strange beast, but I imagine that would have been even stranger than Octillery's pre-evolution. Speaking of, Remoraid and Octillery's influence from weaponry is a lot clearer compared to what they ended up looking like. Some Pokemon even lacked an evolution in this one, so Togepi could've been a single-staged Pokemon.

This stuff makes me wish there are some pre-release information on newer Pokemon, for example what Gardevoir looked like since it was an Amorphous Pokemon yet is clearly different from the other Pokemon in that group, or perhaps Cryogonal since it has Attract but lacks a gender.

Thank you for reading.

https://www.resetera.com/threads/the-space-world-1997-demo-for-pokemon-gold-has-leaked-online.45913/
Another info was the map was supposed to be the whole map of Japan.
9qqAtjQ.png

HwlLnLa.png

You can see Kanto in the bottom right.
o3SUGQx.png

And finally a rundown of how the game would have started.
Courtesy of The Shadow Knight and ERAsaur from ResetERA said:
The protagonist’s brother (named Ken) makes an appearance, ending the rumors that Gold’s brother was Red. You get an email from Professor Oak telling you to go to his lab, then your rival approaches you outside your house and asks you for what you call your mother (this was semi-unused in the final game, it’s used to prevent the Old Man glitch by storing names during Dude’s catching tutorial). You walk into the grass and Green stops you, bringing you to the lab like his grandfather did years prior. Green and Oak ask if you two want your starters, and then Oak takes you into the back room where the starters are located. You leave, talk to Green, and then Oak gives you and your rival Pokedexes. Your rival challenges you and unfortunately his team is missing so he challenges you with either garbage or things meant for demo trainers. If you somehow manage to beat him, you leave and your mother gives you 6 Pokeballs and the Pokegear.

Captain America said:
I1dX65M.png

Here are all the gen i related evolutions and pre evolutions.

I think Hitmontop also has an early design too.

PokeGoldDemo-front_212.png

Thank you for reading.

Is...is Remoraid supposed to be a gun?

I can't believe we missed out on baby grimer and baby paras

Ant-Man said:
I can't believe we missed out on baby grimer and baby paras
While I think they're cool to see, I still feel like baby Pokémon are still a waste of resources and am glad they didn't include as many.

Back