Sushi Striker: Way of the Sushido (Switch/3DS)

winstein

Justice is not limited, it is a universal quality
Awards Committee
MarioWiki
winstein
Sushi_Striker_The_Way_of_Sushido_cover_art.jpg

This is a new IP from Nintendo, and this one's a competitive puzzler! One thing that's notable with this new Nintendo IP is that it launches on 2 different platforms at once, being the 3DS and Switch so unlike the others you can't point to one platform and determine which came first. It's also a retail release game, so it's priced relatively expensive. This could be justified by the fact that it contains cutscenes and voice acting, and because there's a colourful cast of characters, you can expect it see lots of exaggerated faces and acting, which are traits that many associate with anime. Despite the fact that you can pick either the boy or girl, either of them show some character so it's not quite a blank slate that some other games ended up going for with that feature. Hopefully the cast can end up making this puzzle game memorable in the same way Puyo Puyo became memorable in the first place.

It's more in line with Puzzle League than Puyo Puyo or Tetris since the pieces are scrolled into play for the player to use, and the objective is to link identical plates (food doesn't matter) so that they form a stack of plates, which can be used to attack an opponent. If that's not all, you have cute critters known as Sushi Sprites that will allow you to use special skills that can give the user the advantage, such as the one in the image where he can transform all plates on your side of the field to have the same colour. Oh, and that's not all: those Sushi Sprites can have an awakening, so you can say there's a Pokemon flavour because it's works as an evolution. The game is controlled with either touch controls or just button controls, and both have their advantages or disadvantages, so it's a matter of preference.

It's not known how big this game is, but I hope there's enough with this game to justify the pretty high price it's going for. Note that this game is one of the games declared by Nintendo to require Switch Online, meaning that once the paywall is running, online battles can't be played until you subscribe to it. I presume online will be free for the 3DS even after that time, so I suppose the 3DS has that advantage.

There'a Demo version running on the Nintendo Switch (but not 3DS) so if you want to get a taste of this game, do download it and give it a go. Note that the cutscenes could be drawn out but you can skip them if you don't want to watch them.

Finally, here's the opening video for you to enjoy:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2yZZBb-O_bw

Thank you for reading.

Is anyone else also playing Sushi Striker? I played it a while back and found it enjoyable. Didn't progress that much yet since I am still in Area 1, but I am liking how this game is so far.

It's interesting that there are all those mechanics, and the personality of this game is really great. I hope Nintendo makes more Sushi Striker games because I think competitive puzzle games aren't that common these days, with Puyo Puyo and Tetris practically taking up a lot of mindshare.

Thank you for reading.

Back