Author Topic: Art Contest -- Results up!  (Read 2275 times)

Anton

• Froppy
  • #mwchat Admin
  • Power Star
  • Hypnotoad
  • kero?
    • View Profile
Re: Art Contest -- Accepting entries until July 14th
« Reply #20 on: July 07, 2018, 07:21:04 PM »
Got a week left to turn in any entries!  If you're signed up and need an extension, let me know!

Anton

• Froppy
  • #mwchat Admin
  • Power Star
  • Hypnotoad
  • kero?
    • View Profile
Re: Art Contest -- Accepting entries until July 14th
« Reply #21 on: July 14, 2018, 01:52:53 AM »
Final day!  If you need an extension, please let me know!

Anton

• Froppy
  • #mwchat Admin
  • Power Star
  • Hypnotoad
  • kero?
    • View Profile
Re: Art Contest -- Extension CRUNCH TIME - Due the 20th
« Reply #22 on: July 16, 2018, 03:31:57 AM »
Everyone who has been given an extension, you've got until the 20th (or as close to the shroom release as reasonably possible) to get your art done and sent to me!
« Last Edit: July 16, 2018, 05:55:57 PM by Anton »

Anton

• Froppy
  • #mwchat Admin
  • Power Star
  • Hypnotoad
  • kero?
    • View Profile
Re: Art Contest -- Polls open until August 11th !!!
« Reply #23 on: July 21, 2018, 09:26:13 PM »
Polls are now up on The 'Shroom and also this topic!  Be sure to give every entry a fair look before you vote.

Also, please provide feedback if you have any on how to properly balance these contests each year.  Are the skill categories fair?  Should they be eliminated entirely and everyone compete together?  Should there just be multiple polls for different criteria like "Best Concept", "Most Ambitious", "Best Traditional Drawing", who knows what else?  Should we have a more strict theme and media?  Please let me know, I want this to fun, interesting, and most of all fair to everyone participating, and encouraging for people new to art!

Congratulations to everyone who participated in creating art this year!  Keep up the good work! :bowser:

Baby Luigi

• Nick, you need to find a woman who hates herself, she'll love you.
  • Awards Committee
  • Mushroom Attendant
  • 🇷🇺 Малыш Луиджи 🇷🇺 – Патриотическая
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 22, 2018, 12:58:09 AM »
The skill category as it is fine and fair and should remain so less experienced people have a chance at winning something substantial.

I like the idea of multiple polls about best concepts and ambition and I wouldn't mind seeing that implemented. Although I do think a category for polling the best different mediums of art is an okay idea because they're two vastly different ways to express but I feel like there's too much of an imbalance in the contenders to create those types of categories concerning the medium used. There's only one 3D image and only one animation, there's two sprite comics, and the rest is a balance between hand-drawn and digital. The only way to make this more even is to enforce something but I'm not too hot on that so I prefer if that is left out and we don't get a poll surrounding the medium of art unless we get more entries in the isolated categories in the future.

I didn't mind the overall theme. Most pictures are either Mario or Wiki-focused regardless.

You know what you could do? Let us title the pieces like an art gallery. I think art titles can add some context and fun to the piece, like the pipe image being called "The Treachery of Images". Images can be more ridiculous with ridiculous titles.
RIP B. "Walkazo" Dalziel. December 16, 1991 to March 27, 2016.

Isabelle

• Best girl. And dog. And definitely NOT deserving of the mostly *bleep* fanart she gets.
  • Shine Sprite
  • Koops
  • The adorable, fluffy, 100% hug material Isabelle.
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: July 22, 2018, 01:42:16 AM »
The idea for multiple different polls is actually pretty interesting, would like to see that. That way... well more win opportunities, but at the same time it shows what every art piece excels at. The most points would be awarded to the overall best tho.

Aside from that tho, nothing really it's pretty nice the way it is.

Kazooie

• Red-crested Breegull
  • Core 'Shroom Staff
  • Star Spirit
  • Gabumon
  • "That's nice."
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: July 22, 2018, 09:26:22 AM »
I feel like some measures should be taken to emphasize media competing against other media of its kind, as opposed to global competition. Traditional vs. traditional, digital vs. digital, comic vs. comic, animation vs. animation. I don't exactly know how feasible this is considering the relatively small pool of contestants, maybe the suggestion with individualized accomplishments could be a step in that direction. But something does need to happen, because having static images compete with a video in the same category does not sit right with me. There are several added dimensions with videos (motion, sound, etc.) that make them extremely daunting to compete with if you lack them, and to me personally it doesn't really feel fair.

"To do just the opposite is also a form of imitation."
 --G. C. Lichtenberg

YoshiEgg1990

• The Yoshi lover
  • Spiny
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: July 22, 2018, 01:21:15 PM »
I don't really understand what is the Art Contest, is it like, a competition to see who makes the best art?
Your friendly Yoshi Egg, the Yoshi fan YoshiEgg1990.

Isabelle

• Best girl. And dog. And definitely NOT deserving of the mostly *bleep* fanart she gets.
  • Shine Sprite
  • Koops
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: July 22, 2018, 01:26:53 PM »
Yeah, between users from around the community.

If you want to be part of it you will have to wait for next year, at the time of the yearly awards.

Anton

• Froppy
  • #mwchat Admin
  • Power Star
  • Hypnotoad
  • kero?
    • View Profile
Re: Art Contest -- Polls closed!
« Reply #29 on: August 12, 2018, 07:22:43 PM »
Polls are closed!  Each winner will be announced in about one week!

Kazooie

• Red-crested Breegull
  • Core 'Shroom Staff
  • Star Spirit
  • Gabumon
  • "That's nice."
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: August 13, 2018, 05:32:18 AM »
I believe it is time to start working on my art contest piece! :luigi:

--G. C. Lichtenberg

John Barrowman

• Mushroom Attendant
  • Kingbowser99
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: August 13, 2018, 01:17:20 PM »
*waits patiently for his 0 vote count*

winstein

• Shine Sprite
  • Justice is not limited, it is a universal quality
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: August 14, 2018, 10:34:08 PM »
I'm not confident that I will win, nor will I get the Top 3 spot, since I noticed how much better everyone else's ones are: some of them puts community members in their groups so they cater to the community, and some of them just drew better than me. Just to make one thing clear: I didn't vote for my own art because I feel it's appropriate that I vote for others (I won't say who I voted for: that's confidential).

Thank you for reading.
(Credit goes to Alex95 for this signature)

Kazooie

• Red-crested Breegull
  • Core 'Shroom Staff
  • Star Spirit
  • Gabumon
  • "That's nice."
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: August 15, 2018, 04:41:46 PM »

--G. C. Lichtenberg

John Barrowman

• Mushroom Attendant
  • Kingbowser99
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: August 15, 2018, 05:52:43 PM »

T H I S   W O U L D ' V E   W O N

Isabelle

• Shine Sprite
  • Koops
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: August 16, 2018, 12:30:41 AM »
But it's not even Mario rela—

Oh yeah I see the pipe and the tiny block there. Gdjob.

Kazooie

• Red-crested Breegull
  • Core 'Shroom Staff
  • Star Spirit
  • Gabumon
  • "That's nice."
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: August 16, 2018, 09:21:35 AM »
But it's not even Mario rela—

Oh yeah I see the pipe and the tiny block there. Gdjob.

Excuse me, but this is my interpretation of Princess Peach.

The princess' two most distinguishing features, her blonde hair and pink dress, are on display here. Beyond that, her white eye can be seen both as an eye with a teardrop, as well as a a mushroom, signifying her status as the sovereign ruler of mushrooms. The eyes of a person are a mirror of their soul. As such, you could say that Peach's identity as herself is deeply and inseparabely interwoven with her function as a ruler. The left side of the image represents Mario's Quest. Peach is always being kidnapped, and Mario has to save her. This is an immutable fact that has become such a constant presence in the lives of Peach and everyone who knows her, that the quest has physically merged with her being. Peach has accepted this fate and even encourages it. She is drawn with two mouths to signify the two personas she presents to others; one mouth speaks to Bowser, tantalizing him and taunting him into kidnapping her, the other mouth speaks to Mario and urges him to rescue her. A relentless stream of "HELP" is constantly erupting from Peach. However, her pleas do not cross over to the left side of the picture, which, as we established, is representative of her relationship with Mario. This is because the kidnap-rescue scenario has happened so many times, Mario has fallen deaf to Peach's pleas and is merely performing the quest because it has become routine. Saving Peach is what Mario does, it has lost all meaning beyond that. Instead, the pleas of "HELP" travel to the right, into Peach's own ear, because Peach is not screaming for Mario. Peach is screaming solely for herself. In truth, the only one listening to Peach's pleas is Peach herself, because she revels the attention she gets from beinng kidnapped. Her hair turns into clouds, her face turns into the stage upon which other people act. Peach is so fixated on herself, that she herself is turning into the world we live in.

It is 100% Mario related.

--G. C. Lichtenberg

Isabelle

• Shine Sprite
  • Koops
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: August 16, 2018, 10:27:13 AM »
I see.

True art is art you have to look at more than once to figure out.

By delving deeper into it, I think I found the meaning of life.

Anton

• Froppy
  • #mwchat Admin
  • Power Star
  • Hypnotoad
  • kero?
    • View Profile
Re: Art Contest -- Results up!
« Reply #38 on: August 18, 2018, 07:13:08 PM »
Results!

Be sure to check them out!~  And while you're there go vote in each team.

Yoshi the SSM

• (Space Station Manager)
  • King Bowser
  • I'm Yoshi the Space Station Manager from the wiki.
    • View Profile
Re: Art Contest -- Results up!
« Reply #39 on: August 18, 2018, 07:48:53 PM »
Third and last place. But then again, I was up against a meme and the most popular RPG/retro game adoption with my not so special last level of last year's favorite Yoshi game. Anyways, congrats Luigi 64DD. And congrats BBQ Turtle. And congrats Anton.
I don't have time to give you a ride, I am managing a space station. And ask me something here:www.marioboards.com/index.php?topic=38633.msg1934343#msg1934343