Blender issue

Paper Mario

SPM Trash
Forum Moderator
Pronouns
She/They
MarioWiki
Fawfulthegreat64
I'm having a bit of an issue with Blender. Namely, in rendered view (which I use to preview how a render will look without actually doing a full render), a part of the model appears with corrupted textures, or just random patches that are mostly black with a few specks of color. It's only in this one part of the model (which is Pauline from Odyssey) and I have no idea what's causing it. I've changed many settings and there's always oddities on that one part. It's all one object too, so it's not there's 2 objects clipping into each other. Does anyone who uses Blender know anything that could be of use here?

Pko9o92.png

I know exactly what this is.

You have a Z-fighting face which is not a Blender specific issue. Z-fighting means that two faces are fighting each other for dominance for the screen, hence why it flickers like that. You did mention it's one object, but did you check the faces there? It should be two faces, in actuality.

Z-fighting.png

What Pauline's dress does is have two meshes with each other to give the illusion of no-culling. The technique of no-culling occurs when the game renders both faces of the model but in this case, the game developers wanted to no cull on only the flat parts of the dress, hence, giving that corrupted look. If you render the model, the z-fighting between the two faces should vanish, as it would render both faces and one face is invisible to the camera. If you don't want the black face to show up, delete the inner model and there should be an option to render both sides of faces in a 3D modeling program.

I just did a proper render and the corrupted parts remained. As for the rest, I'm not sure how to delete the inner model. Selecting individual faces in Blender is really awkward for some reason as it often selects something that isn't even close to where I clicked. Is there an easy way to select that?

Yeah, that happens when you attempt to select two planes on exactly the same location. Your best bet is to use trial and error. Delete the black parts (the model with the inner normals) and undo any planes you accidentally delete with outside normals. Then, find a way to render both sides of the same plane with the render settings. Blender should have an option for that, but it may not be called "no cull".

Back