Mario Kart 9 - What It Should Be Like

ZoomZike

YouTube/ZoomZike
Heya!

We all know it's coming sooner or later, so what do you want in a Mario Kart 9?

I made a video detailing what I believe is the best direction for this series to go in, as I haven't been too satisfied with these later titles we've been receiving.

No one really knows what it's going to be like, but if it's anything similar to how I envision it, then I won't be needing another title for a long time, thoughts?

We need a much better single player mode. Right now, it's all just racing and that gets boring quick, unless you like Battle Mode (I do). A return of Mission Mode would be nice, but I don't like how Mission Mode forces you to use particular characters, so that needs to be changed. Also, falling off should give you a penalty. The voice direction should also be reworked to make it sound more like Mario Kart Wii and Double Dash, not this shrill, barely audible, grunting-for-winning crap Mario Kart 8 was.

Also, the Coin and the roller tires should be killed with fire.

Princess Mario said:
We need a much better single player mode. Right now, it's all just racing and that gets boring quick, unless you like Battle Mode (I do).

I'd like you explain what you mean by this, what would you add to Mario Kart 9 that would make it a better single player experience?

Something along the lines of Diddy Kong Racing or what I was hearing from Crash Team Racing. A story mode with some hub world you can drive around will be nice. Or we can get like a checklist a la Kirby Air Ride. Or we can get some whacked City Trial mode. There are more than a few ideas out there.

Baby Luigi as a playable character.

I want different vehicles. I want to fly an airplane.

Custom music. Have tracks have a playlist of multiple music rather than just one and you can add your own music.

Day/Night feature. Have the track change the setting depending on the time of the day. You can either sync it to system time or have it randomly generated.

Custom paintjobs and car mods. Well maybe not too much car mods but I've been asking for custom paintjobs from essentially forever ago. Car mods more than just tires would be amazing.

Alternate costumes for characters too.

Also, a better single player mode like Princess Mario said.

Have an option for survival and points styled battle mode.

A new mechanism of suit personnalisation and special attacks for every vehicle. And Waluigi Pinball as a retro track and Block Fort as a retro Battle Track. Or Super Mario Odyssey Tracks and Characters, and an Odyssey-like vehicle. Here are the new players I want:

-Cappy
-Pauline
-The Broodals
-Dixie Kong
-Paper Mario
-Cranky Kong

And here are the returning characters I want:

-Diddy Kong
-Funky Kong
-Petey Piranha
-Birdo

And that'll pretty much be it!

Russian Baby Luigi said:
Day/Night feature. Have the track change the setting depending on the time of the day. You can either sync it to system time or have it randomly generated.
I think that would be a great idea! They could probably do it similarly to Animal Crossing, without the seasons changing, just the time of day, but having different obstacles on the track (i.e. Mr Resetti doesn't show up in winter, leaf piles appear in autumn).

Time of the Day shouldn't even be that difficult to implement. All you pretty much need to do is adjust the lighting parameters for each track, maybe tinker the sun's position in the skybox or have the values sync to system time. Nintendo clearly does know how to do it thanks to the Animal Crossing stages in Smash Bros. and, well, Animal Crossing in general. Mods for tracks also achieve the same effect with little effort.

Different obstacles depending on time of day would also be really interesting. Maybe a haunted mansion will have different sorts of obstacles, seeing drastic changes between its day and night variation.

I imagine probably the most time-consuming part of it would be (Excluding if the enemies, obstacles, weather, etc. change depending on the time) making separate textures for parts that would need to be different in the day/night, for example, lights being on/off, but I doubt that'd be too hard. I'd really like to see a Rainbow Road during the day for a change though, or a night time beach course. Thinking about it, I'd actually like to see a daytime Rainbow Road even if they didn't implement a day/night feature.

Rainbow Coaster from Mario Kart Arcade GP is an example of a Rainbow Road that takes place in the day.

799px-RainbowCoasterCurvyStretchs.png

So yeah, a Rainbow Road taking place in the day would definitely work.

For making the separate textures for example lights, you don't really need to. All you need to do is make the game swap between an emissive material and a nonemissive material without even needing to change the texture itself. That's what they do with the car headlights in Mario Kart 8 anyway, I think.

Yeah, I'm not particularly familiar with the arcade games so I wasn't aware of that course's existence. It does look nice though, it's be something good to see in the main series.

I'm not really very familiar with how lighting and stuff works in games, so I didn't know about that headlight thing, so perhaps a better example would be the addition of the moon and stars to the night sky instead, or larger crowds during the day potentially.

My main desire is the same as it's always been, and I praised your roster for doing that in the comment section already :)

Another idea, since I see your point about keeping a version of Mario and Peach in all weight classes, is to make use of Robo Mario instead of Metal Mario, and for the heavier Peach create a Robo Peach with similar design. Considering E. Gadd being playable, they would make more sense and be more visually distinct (not to mention cooler looking) than just Mario and Peach's models with shiny filters. As a side note, I'd really like it if Metal Mario's current design was only used for the form/power-up version from SM64, while Metal Mario as a separate character was Robo Mario.

Master of Dimensions said:
My main desire is the same as it's always been, and I praised your roster for doing that in the comment section already :)

Another idea, since I see your point about keeping a version of Mario and Peach in all weight classes, is to make use of Robo Mario instead of Metal Mario, and for the heavier Peach create a Robo Peach with similar design. Considering E. Gadd being playable, they would make more sense and be more visually distinct (not to mention cooler looking) than just Mario and Peach's models with shiny filters. As a side note, I'd really like it if Metal Mario's current design was only used for the form/power-up version from SM64, while Metal Mario as a separate character was Robo Mario.

That robo idea is pretty great one actually, it'd fit into the lore with E. Gadd, which would probably make it a lot more pleasing and acceptable to the overall fan-base instead of what we got with Pink Gold Peach, thanks!

Pretty much everything that Miles Tails Power and Russian Baby Luigi said. Although I do think that they should stick to land vehicles only: no airplanes. They have gliders already and they're good enough.

I've never been able to get MK:DD, so I'm missing out...er, intrigued by Special Items, which might be cool to add. PLEASE keep Double Item Boxes. I will never win without them. Keep all Battle Modes minus Shine Thief (that's a personal opinion, since I sincerely believe that Shine Thief is #$%&)

I'd rather they didn't have Special Items. They run the risk of being very unbalanced, and when even the slightest benefit is granted, people will flock to that character like starving cockroaches.

It's already bad enough with the terrible balance of the kart parts, something I definitely like to see addressed in the next game. Something as hideous-looking as the Roller tires shouldn't be the best part in the game.

What needs to be in Mario Kart 9:
-Everyone is here! (all characters in Mario Kart history)
-all vehicles/parts
-all tracks
-all items (including CPU items in SMK, but no Lucky 7)
-all battle modes (poor Shine Runners...)
-story/challenge mode (like Mission Mode in MKDS)
-Sub-Games (like those in Kirby games)

This is honestly all I need.

I'm afraid that's never gonna happen mainly because of the sheer impossibility of having literally every Mario Kart track in one game. That would take forever to develop and would be worth way more than the price of an average game.

Sunshine Yoshi said:
What needs to be in Mario Kart 9:
-Everyone is here! (all characters in Mario Kart history)
-all vehicles/parts
-all tracks
-all items (including CPU items in SMK, but no Lucky 7)
-all battle modes (poor Shine Runners...)
-story/challenge mode (like Mission Mode in MKDS)
-Sub-Games (like those in Kirby games)

This is honestly all I need.
Well, all vehicles, all tracks, and all battle modes doesn't seem possible (As the guy on the top of this post said) But all of the characters might be a good and possible idea. Nintendo maked Smash Ultimate, after all.

Russian Baby Luigi said:
It's already bad enough with the terrible balance of the kart parts, something I definitely like to see addressed in the next game. Something as hideous-looking as the Roller tires shouldn't be the best part in the game.

All I ask is that they keep multiple Yoshi colors, the Duke, the Red Monster wheels, and the Parachute glider from MK8. And Renegade Roundup. I'd be quite happy if that was it.

A Mario Kart ULTIMATE where everyone is here!

(except maybe filler characters)

Actually though, Smash has made me inspired as to how cool it would be if Mario Kart got something like that. In general though, my most requested feature for a new Mario Kart is to have a Double Dash mode, just a mode that let's you play the game normally, but it has Double Dash's two characters mechanic.

late but no way is cappy getting into Mario kart as a character

maybe as an item like the boomerang or something

give me back my mega mushroom (and give me coconut mall while you're at it)

Joseph Joestar said:
late but no way is cappy getting into Mario kart as a character

maybe as an item like the boomerang or something
I think he's far more likely as a character than an item. There's no way they could balance the capture mechanic in Mario Kart, and as a racer he wouldn't be any weirder than King Boo.

Back