Author Topic: Mario Kart 64 Time Trials Tournament! (Tokens!)  (Read 2775 times)

Dimentio

• Master of dimensions, pleaser of crowds
  • King Bowser
  • Chibiki Daisy
  • Ah ha ha...
    • View Profile
Re: Mario Kart 64 Time Trials Tournament! (Results!)
« Reply #40 on: August 15, 2018, 08:29:39 PM »
Congrats to everyone because I know y'all did your best!
trash bucket (tumblr) | #isitthursdayyet | Honoka's #7 Fan

Alex95

• NIWA Nut
  • Wiki Administrator
  • Dry Bowser
    • View Profile
    • Power Master Games
« Reply #41 on: August 15, 2018, 10:07:42 PM »
btw, fanta uploaded videos of her runs, which she used to send in. If you'd like to take a look and how she managed these fast times, here's her Twitch channel! https://www.twitch.tv/fantanoice

I didn't want to keep these in my inbox and not share them :P

fantanoice

• Vee vee
  • Power Star
  • I can see through time
    • View Profile
    • Twitch
« Reply #42 on: August 15, 2018, 11:28:10 PM »
Here's the link to the Collection because finding VODs on Twitch isn't the best:
https://www.twitch.tv/collections/cG89OmdpPhWmVA

Thanks for the races everyone and thanks for organising it Alex. I finally won an Awards tourney, weeoo XD

I'm trying to think of ways to maybe make this better in the future. I was thinking maybe a Swiss or Round Robin tournament so people would have more opportunity to play and improve. Because yeah, the placings didn't change much at all throughout it and I wonder if that discouraged people at all.
RIP B. "Walkazo" Dalziel. December 16, 1991 to March 27, 2016.

<< Watch Pokemon Let's Go! Eevee Nuzlocke Stream >>
Ask Me Stuff

Alex95

• NIWA Nut
  • Wiki Administrator
  • Dry Bowser
    • View Profile
    • Power Master Games
« Reply #43 on: August 16, 2018, 12:09:50 AM »
I'm trying to think of ways to maybe make this better in the future. I was thinking maybe a Swiss or Round Robin tournament so people would have more opportunity to play and improve. Because yeah, the placings didn't change much at all throughout it and I wonder if that discouraged people at all.

Single Eliminations or standard tournaments are the best ones for me to work with. I choose Mario Kart 64 because there's no internet connections involved and people don't have to coordinate a time, allowing them to send in a time at any point. There's definitely room for improvement, and the last time I held a Swiss Tournament (the Smash Bros. one last year), not a lot of people signed up :/ Single Elimination seemed to be the best choice here, especially considering the number of players, and allowing more rounds.

But I'm open to suggestions for future games :)

Anton

• Froppy
  • #mwchat Admin
  • Star Spirit
  • Hypnotoad
  • kero?
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: August 16, 2018, 01:24:29 AM »
I'm sure that Smash didn't do so well last year was because it was a dying game on a dying system, not because it was Swiss.  I can see a Smash 5 tournament in 2019 doing relatively alright.  Fanta's point that the positions didn't really change much would mean that a Swiss tournament would really only amplify that, but at least people end up playing more.  I'd say it's worth a shot, and Challonge.com makes it easy enough to set up, albeit finicky with the amount of participants.  Actually, that being said, without me erasing what I just typed out so the context remains: how would Swiss work out if no one's exactly competing against each other?

Either way I enjoyed the concept of this tournament, especially not being held down to a time that I have to commit to in advance without risk of messing up everyone's schedules.

fantanoice

• Vee vee
  • Power Star
  • I can see through time
    • View Profile
    • Twitch
« Reply #45 on: August 16, 2018, 03:12:00 AM »
There were differences in skill so my thoughts were aimed at getting people to develop more. Thinking further you probably wouldn't even need a Swiss head-to-head thing. You could alternatively not have eliminations and distribute points for placings.

But yeah I also liked how I could play the game in my own time because organising matches with people / dealing with internet / timezones / etc is a rough time for us Aussies.
« Last Edit: August 16, 2018, 03:14:28 AM by fantanoice »

Ask Me Stuff

Alex95

• NIWA Nut
  • Wiki Administrator
  • Dry Bowser
    • View Profile
    • Power Master Games
« Reply #46 on: August 16, 2018, 11:08:23 AM »
Either way I enjoyed the concept of this tournament, especially not being held down to a time that I have to commit to in advance without risk of messing up everyone's schedules.
But yeah I also liked how I could play the game in my own time because organising matches with people / dealing with internet / timezones / etc is a rough time for us Aussies.

And that's exactly what I was shooting for! You do have to deal with me nagging you to get in times, though.

how would Swiss work out if no one's exactly competing against each other?

...I have absolutely no idea at the moment, haha :bowser:

A standard 1-on-1 tournament could work, though. Fastest time between the two will move on. Assuming another tournament like this happens again.

Yoshi the SSM

• (Space Station Manager)
  • King Bowser
  • I'm Yoshi the Space Station Manager from the wiki.
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: August 16, 2018, 11:58:09 AM »
Congratulations, Fanta!

Anyways. I liked the single elimination style. However, the only way to give players more races is to give each person more than one loss before they go out. But that doesn't do much otherwise. Just more races. And its hard to plan for the finale unless the last two just race one last time to see who is eliminated, even if neither have had a loss. However, since the standard tournament also does this, but hides it due to a bunch of players being eliminated, I think this would be a good idea for another tournament.
I don't have time to give you a ride, I am managing a space station. And ask me something here:www.marioboards.com/index.php?topic=38633.msg1934343#msg1934343

fantanoice

• Vee vee
  • Power Star
  • I can see through time
    • View Profile
    • Twitch
« Reply #48 on: August 16, 2018, 12:49:46 PM »
However, the only way to give players more races is to give each person more than one loss before they go out.
Double elimination:maybe?

Ask Me Stuff

Yoshi the SSM

• (Space Station Manager)
  • King Bowser
  • I'm Yoshi the Space Station Manager from the wiki.
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: August 16, 2018, 01:39:57 PM »
However, the only way to give players more races is to give each person more than one loss before they go out.
Double elimination:maybe?

Probably not. I mean, that term is used when there are two players eliminated in one round.
I don't have time to give you a ride, I am managing a space station. And ask me something here:www.marioboards.com/index.php?topic=38633.msg1934343#msg1934343

Alex95

• NIWA Nut
  • Wiki Administrator
  • Dry Bowser
    • View Profile
    • Power Master Games
« Reply #50 on: August 16, 2018, 01:58:30 PM »
I don't think Double Elimination would work that well.

Anyways. I liked the single elimination style. However, the only way to give players more races is to give each person more than one loss before they go out. But that doesn't do much otherwise. Just more races. And its hard to plan for the finale unless the last two just race one last time to see who is eliminated, even if neither have had a loss. However, since the standard tournament also does this, but hides it due to a bunch of players being eliminated, I think this would be a good idea for another tournament.

Giving racers more races to race on would just make the tournament go unnecessarily longer. I also read that paragraph as a 2-out-of-3 option at first, which I guess could work? Maybe not. I didn't want to make the tournament go too long, only going as long as there were players that signed up.

Alex95

• NIWA Nut
  • Wiki Administrator
  • Dry Bowser
    • View Profile
    • Power Master Games
Re: Mario Kart 64 Time Trials Tournament! (Tokens!)
« Reply #51 on: September 01, 2018, 06:23:04 PM »
Sorry for taking so long! A little confused on how tokens were given, but that's all sorted out. Was given 210 tokens to work with, and the best divisions had me use up 209.

So how I decided to make this work was like this:
6 tokens for first place
4 tokens for second place
2 tokens for third place
1 token for fourth place
0 tokens for anything lower
An additional 5 tokens per races participated

So here are the amount of times each player has taken a place and their token totals!

Racer
1st
2nd
3rd
4th
5th
6th
7th
# of races
Grand Total
fantanoice
Luigi 64DD
Alex95
PowerKamek
Anton
Yoshi the SSM
Chibiki Daisy

Congrats to fantanoice for placing first overall, followed by Luigi 64DD in second, and then myself in third!

Thanks for playing!

fantanoice

• Vee vee
  • Power Star
  • I can see through time
    • View Profile
    • Twitch
Re: Mario Kart 64 Time Trials Tournament! (Tokens!)
« Reply #52 on: September 01, 2018, 06:32:06 PM »
*sings* I'm in the money ~

Ask Me Stuff