Poll

Would you like to have the hints be easier or harder?

Easier and shorter.
Easier, but about the same length.
Easier, but with more layered challenges.
The same difficulty, but shorter.
The same difficulty and the same length.
The same difficulty, but more layered.
Harder, but with shorter challenges.
Harder, but about the same length.
Harder AND with even more layered challenges!

Author Topic: Super Mario Odyssey: Hint Hunt (Thanks for playing!)  (Read 3673 times)

The Pyro Guy

• Poll Committee Chairperson
  • Poll Committee
  • King Bowser
  • "no"
    • View Profile
    • watch my terrible videos
Re: Super Mario Odyssey: Hint Hunt (Round 1)
« Reply #40 on: July 15, 2018, 05:22:48 AM »
After a bit of discussion about timings and busy lives, I've decided to increase the deadline by a week, making the new deadline July 24th. Hopefully those who weren't able to participate as much before have enough time to work on this with the extra time. I'll probably do the same with Round 2. Enjoy the ease!

E: I realise that if Round 2 were two weeks long it'd finish in September. In that case, Round 2 will probably last until August 31st if people need the time.
« Last Edit: July 15, 2018, 05:24:48 AM by Mole Knight »

fantanoice

• Vee vee
  • Power Star
  • I can see through time
    • View Profile
    • Twitch
« Reply #41 on: July 15, 2018, 06:33:13 AM »
Thanks I hadn't had a chance to get to this yet
RIP B. "Walkazo" Dalziel. December 16, 1991 to March 27, 2016.

<< Watch Pokemon Let's Go! Eevee Nuzlocke Stream >>
Ask Me Stuff

Koops

• Big dumbass furry who is actually a realist and knows that whatever crush he gets it's never gonna be the one.
  • Shine Sprite
  • Yo
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: July 15, 2018, 06:37:18 AM »
Only started deciphering these so I'm keen on that.

Roller

• A1 Sauce
  • Shy Guy
  • rollerC
    • View Profile
    • Roller Rink Discord
« Reply #43 on: July 15, 2018, 10:37:57 AM »
Thank you, although I was trying to meet the deadline as best as I could, this extension is really helpful for me. 👍

The Pyro Guy

• Poll Committee
  • King Bowser
  • "no"
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: July 18, 2018, 03:53:22 AM »
Now we're actually halfway there, rather than the fake halfway warning I posted earlier. Meaning, there's about a week left!

So, it's time for stats. Hints 2, 5 and 4 are the most popular and Hint 7 is the least popular. Hint 6 is also pretty barren in terms of answers. I'm going to give out some extra guidance on these last two hints because they are presumably pretty hard.

Spoiler: Hint 6 (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Hint 7 (click to show/hide)

Of course, you have the option to resubmit an answer if these extra hints make you doubt your current answer.

The Pyro Guy

• Poll Committee
  • King Bowser
  • "no"
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: July 22, 2018, 03:20:35 AM »
2 days left! There's still several people who have submitted nothing so I thought I'd hand out this friendly reminder, so that they can turn that nothing into something.

The Pyro Guy

• Poll Committee
  • King Bowser
  • "no"
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: July 23, 2018, 02:59:10 AM »
Final day for submissions!

The Pyro Guy

• Poll Committee
  • King Bowser
  • "no"
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: July 24, 2018, 04:07:55 AM »
And that's it; results will come eventually. Thanks to everyone who played!

Six people managed to fail to submit anything. If you are one of those people, please let me know if you still intend to play for round 2.

Turboo

• Wiki Administrator
  • Shine Sprite
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: July 24, 2018, 04:30:47 AM »
I do intend to still play, I apologize for the lack of anything but yeah *bleep*'s been a mess recently

Shy Guy on Wheels

• Definitely on Wheels
  • King Bowser
  • Octagon?
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: July 24, 2018, 05:07:01 AM »
With my focus on playing the KG, I'm not sure if I'll be able to continue. If the KG ends by the time round 2 starts, then I should be able to play, otherwise I won't be able to.

YoshiFlutterJump

• The Flying Yoshi
  • Shine Sprite
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: July 24, 2018, 10:34:12 AM »
I submitted some stuff, but I was a bit late.  I sent them through Discord if you didn't see.

Koops

• Big dumbass furry who is actually a realist and knows that whatever crush he gets it's never gonna be the one.
  • Shine Sprite
  • Yo
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: July 26, 2018, 02:11:04 PM »
Sorry but, is it possible for us to know beforehand when is the next round?

I've got a couple of days during which I am not available, so I need to know. Namely the 3rd to 12th of August and 28th-29th of July.

Fawfulthegreat64

• Top-Hatted Bean
  • Star Spirit
  • I make YouTube videos sometimes
    • View Profile
    • YouTube
« Reply #52 on: July 26, 2018, 02:13:32 PM »
Currently slapping myself because I just now figured out the one hint I didn't submit an answer for, I was overthinking it way too far but too late now lol.

The Pyro Guy

• Poll Committee
  • King Bowser
  • "no"
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: July 26, 2018, 03:38:43 PM »
Sorry but, is it possible for us to know beforehand when is the next round?
I will distribute the other 6 puzzles on August 20th, and the players will have another week to solve them.

I may make Round 2 a bit longer, depending on activity levels.

The Pyro Guy

• Poll Committee
  • King Bowser
  • "no"
    • View Profile
Re: Super Mario Odyssey: Hint Hunt (Answers!)
« Reply #54 on: August 06, 2018, 03:55:53 AM »
Here are the answers for Round 1!

Spoiler: HINT 1 (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: HINT 1 ANSWER (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: HINT 2 (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: HINT 2 ANSWER (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: HINT 3 (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: HINT 3 ANSWER (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: HINT 4 (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: HINT 4 ANSWER (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: HINT 5 (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: HINT 5 ANSWER (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: HINT 6 ANSWER (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: HINT 7 (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: HINT 7 ANSWER (click to show/hide)

People have said they've enjoyed this, but I would like some extra feedback so I can make sure Round 2 is even better. So, please vote in the poll at the top of the topic. I look forward to seeing how everyone does in Round 2!

Fawfulthegreat64

• Top-Hatted Bean
  • Star Spirit
    • View Profile
    • YouTube
« Reply #55 on: August 06, 2018, 05:39:31 AM »
*bleep*, I thought I was on to something reading T1m3s as a Youtube time format and going to that time in the video instead.

Hooded Pitohui

• The Bird with Batrachotoxin
  • Core 'Shroom Staff
  • Whomp
  • With Awards, prepare to present, play, and party.
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: August 06, 2018, 11:18:30 AM »
People have said they've enjoyed this, but I would like some extra feedback so I can make sure Round 2 is even better. So, please vote in the poll at the top of the topic. I look forward to seeing how everyone does in Round 2!

I personally voted for keeping the length, difficulty, and layering more or less the same. I thought that having a few more straightforward puzzles, like Hint 2 and Hint 5, which are highly accessible formats, gives some easier options for people to begin with while they mull over the more heavily layered puzzles. I'd say that Hint 4 more or less falls into that "starter" category, as well. Unlike the other two, that judgment is not so much about it being a common format as it's about it being less layered than most of the other hints.

Expanding on that, Hint 3 and Hint 7 seem to require a bit more puzzling out that the three aforementioned, but they aren't nearly as layered as Hint 1 and Hint 6. I personally think that having the puzzles in these "tier groups" makes the overall Hunt more accessible while still remaining challenging. Of course, a lot of this is subjective. I could see someone making an argument that, for example, Hint 7 is more on par with Hint 1 because of the specific location requirement and having to overlay the images, or that Hint 3 is more on par with Hint 4 because it doesn't have as many steps to go through once you have an idea of what it might be.

So, all in all, I thought the overall structure in terms of difficulty and length was quite fine. Again, these are subjective, so I wouldn't really on my word alone, but I thought having three lower difficulty puzzles, two medium difficulty puzzles, and two higher difficulty puzzles worked out well in terms of keeping it accessible but interesting. Of course, what's "easy, medium and high" is going to vary from person to person, but I think looking at it in terms of layering and number of steps required to solve the puzzles should work more or less as a stand-in for difficulty.

If any of this is unclear, I'd be happy to clarify or provide more feedback. All in all, I really enjoyed Round 1. Thank you, TPG!

Marie

• The best squid girl
  • Dry Bowser
  • Luigi 64DD
  • If you find any good Marie fanart, send it here!
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: August 06, 2018, 02:07:34 PM »
I got all of them right except only half credit for Hint 7, though my brother actually figured out Hint 3. I couldn't figure it out and I told him about it not expecting him to figure it out. But he did, and then I felt dumb for not realizing it.

I pretty much agree with Pitohui, though I wouldn't mind seeing maybe one more layered puzzle like Hints 1 and 6. Those were hard, but they were also a lot of fun to figure out. I felt like Hint 7 was a bit too confusing because even with the extra hint I still couldn't properly figure out how I was supposed to interpret the overlayed enemies. Perhaps that's my fault, but it sounds like several others failed to make the connection as well. In any case, those are just my thoughts.

Credit to several artists for my avatars, see this post. Also click the above image for nice music!
Userpage | Ask | Art

YoshiFlutterJump

• The Flying Yoshi
  • Shine Sprite
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: August 06, 2018, 02:11:25 PM »
I only got hints 4 and 5 right, unfortunately.  I couldn't find hints 1, 3, 6, or 7.  I also attempted Hint 2 but was incorrect.

Still, it was fun.  Tough, sure, but the difficulty made it great.  Even if I could only find the downright obvious Hint 4 and the somewhat easy Hint 5.

Fawfulthegreat64

• Top-Hatted Bean
  • Star Spirit
    • View Profile
    • YouTube
« Reply #59 on: August 06, 2018, 02:14:32 PM »
Hint 3 was the only one I didn't submit an answer for, though I figured out what Bitcats referred to just a bit too late. I was trying to link the shapes to regional coins and it made no sense because no 2 types of regional coin can be together. Once I thought of Cat Mario and Cat Peach I felt like a blithering idiot.

I think the hints were perfectly fine. Other than 3 which was me being an idiot, the only one I had issues with was 1, because as stated above, I thought the format for the word times was intentionally similar to how a YouTube url points to a timestamp. Maybe that was meant to be a red herring though?