Poll

Please select the option which would most interest you:

A Pokémon Gen VII (Sun, Moon, Ultra Sun, Ultra Moon) Singles Tourney from July 1st to July 22nd.
2 (40%)
A Pokémon Gen VI (X, Y, Omega Ruby, Alpha Sapphire) Singles Tourney from July 1st to July 22nd.
1 (20%)
Neither of the above options interests me./ I would not be able to participate in either of the above options.
2 (40%)

Total Members Voted: 5

Voting closed: June 15, 2018, 04:43:45 PM

Author Topic: Raregold and Pitohui's Gen VII Pokémon Tournament (Cancelled)  (Read 1178 times)

Hooded Pitohui

• Aiming for More Succinct Expression
  • Core 'Shroom Staff
  • Whomp
  • Two ways to live life...
    • View Profile
Raregold and Pitohui’s Gen VII Pokémon Tournament
This year, we’re offering a tournament for the Generation VII Pokémon games. Players of Pokémon Sun, Pokémon Moon, Pokémon Ultra Sun, or Pokémon Ultra Moon are welcome to join the tournament.

The Basics: What is this Tourney?
-This tournament will be Swiss-style.
-Rounds will be best-of-three. This means the first to win two matches wins.
-All battles will be Single Battles
-Rounds will last one week. You will have that time to plan and have your match with your opponent. See the scheduling section for more details.
-Pokémon will automatically be set to level 50.
--This tournament will be handled through Challonge, the tournament page can be found here. This page will be updated as we receive new sign-ups and the tournament progresses.

Rules: The Technical Details
-You may not have duplicate Pokémon on your team. For purposes of this tourney, regional variants are considered distinct.
--To clarify, you may not have two Skarmory, two Alolan Exeggutor, or two Kanto Exeggutor on the same team, but you may have one Alolan Exeggutor and one Kanto Exeggutor on the same team.
-You may not have duplicate items on your team.
-You may not change the team that you submit to us at any point during the tournament.
-Mega Stones and Mega Evolution are banned. As many Mega Stones were distributed over the Internet, we are keeping the ban on Mega Evolution in order to keep everything fair to all players.
-Z-Moves for the eighteen basic types are permitted, but species-specific Z-Moves are banned. In other words, you can use the Normalium-Z, Waterium-Z, and so on, but Decidium-Z, Snorlium-Z and the like are not allowed.
Spoiler: Permitted Z-Crystals (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Banned Z-Crystals (click to show/hide)
--The basic type Z-Crystals are permitted because they are freely available during regular gameplay, but species-specific Z-Crystals were often distributed over the Internet or are exclusive to Pokémon Ultra Sun and Pokémon Ultra Moon.
-No items, Pokémon, forms, or moves exclusive to Pokémon Ultra Sun and Pokémon Ultra Moon are permitted.
--Don’t worry too much about this, as if you comply with all of the other listed rules, these should not be a problem. Nevertheless, we include this for reference.
--Banned Moves
--Banned Items
--Banned Pokémon
--In addition, Partner Cap Pikachu, Ash-Greninja, Dusk Form Lycanroc, and all Totem Pokémon are banned.
-Evasion-raising moves are banned for relying too heavily on luck. Evasion-raising items and abilities are permitted.
-Swagger and Flatter are banned for being unsportsmanlike and luck-based.
-No hacked Pokémon are permitted. To clarify, this means any Pokémon must only have moves and abilities which it can obtain through normal gameplay or official events.
-The following Pokémon are banned:
Spoiler: Ban List (click to show/hide)
Participation and Sportsmanship
We really want this tournament to be fun for everyone involved, so, in addition to the technical rules above, we want to set out a few additional rules which will ensure everyone has the best experience possible.
-First and foremost, be respectful to other players, the hosts, and anyone involved in this tournament. We also ask that you respect other participants’ time.
-Truancy has been an issue with this tournament in the past, so we are introducing a few new rules to try to cut down on this. If you sign-up, please remember that you are expected to be an active participant.
--We understand that things happen and life gets in the way, and we don’t expect you to make this tournament your first priority. That said, if you know that you won’t be able to battle during a round or something comes up which will interfere with your ability to participate, please let the hosts know as soon as possible so we can work with you and your opponent. We will do everything we can to see if a battle can be set up or otherwise accommodate you.
--Radio silence will be punished. While we understand things come up, do not completely disappear without saying anything to the hosts. This is extremely rude and inconsiderate of other participants’ time. In addition, it slows down the whole tourney.
---If a participant disappears for over a week without contacting the hosts or making a reasonable effort to explain their absence or work with the hosts, we reserve the right to replace them and/or withhold their tokens at the end of the tournament.
-If a participant disappears during a round or cannot battle even with attempts to accommodate them, they will take a 2-1 loss for the round. This is not a punishment, but an attempt to keep the tourney balanced and moving forward on time for other participants.
--If you feel you will miss more than a single round, please consider allowing a replacement to take your place.
-Participants who break the rules may be punished by the hosts or, in severe cases, recommended to the Awards Committee.
-Please contact the hosts if you have any questions, concerns, or comments. We are here to make this an enjoyable experience for you, and are happy to help with anything which may come up.
--We understand that there are a lot of technical rules, so please feel free to ask us any questions about your team or what is and is not allowed.
--In addition, we are happy to help accommodate participants should anything come up.
-It is the duty of the hosts to treat all participants with respect and to assume good faith.

Battle Videos
-We encourage participants to send us battle videos so that we can review matches and ensure everyone is following the rules. That said, we understand that there are problems with poor connections and limited time online, so we will not require that you send us battle videos.
--Please use common sense with this; make a reasonable effort to send in videos but don't stress over this if you cannot.

Scheduling
-This tournament will begin on the first of June and end on the twenty-second of June.
-There will be four rounds, each lasting exactly one week. The first round will begin on the first of June at noon EDT (UTC-4).
--We have designed the tournament so that participants should have ample time to schedule and have their matches. In addition, all participants should have at least one weekend day in each round.
--Each Friday serves as a transition day during which the hosts will finalize the brackets and pair up opponents for the next round. All information will be posted no later than noon EDT.
-We understand that this tournament is early and short. We are trying to avoid conflict with the KG and Awards Presentations as much as possible. We also wish to avoid having this tournament drag out too long.

Sign-Ups
-To sign-up, please post your Mii name, in-game name, your Friend Code, and your time zone with UTC offset.
-Please tell us if you would like to sign-up as a participant or replacement.
-You must send your team to the hosts no later than three days before the tournament begins.
--Tell us the species of the six team members you will use, any items which they will hold, and their movesets.
---If you have concerns about ensuring your team complies with the rules, please send it early and we will review it for you. We can tell you any changes you would need to make.
-If you do not provide all required material by the time the tourney starts, you will be removed. It simply isn't fair to delay the entire tournament when others have sent in all the required information on time.
-We would like a minimum number of eight participants for the tournament to happen. We will cap the tournament at sixteen participants.

Instructions for Battling and Posting Videos
Taking inspiration from Meta Knight and Packy’s Tournament last year, we’re providing instructions on how to connect with your opponent and upload battle videos.
To Battle
-Exchange your 3DS Friend Code with your opponent and register each other.
-Start your game and open the menu.
-Click "Festival Plaza"
-Once you are in the plaza, turn on wifi by clicking the wifi symbol in the bottom right of the touchscreen, then follow the instructions to connect to the internet.
-On the bottom screen click "Battle", then Single Battle.
-Find your opponent on the guest list and select them.
-Your opponent then will need to accept the battle request.
To Upload a Battle Video
-Start your game and open the menu.
-Click "Festival Plaza"
-Once you are in the plaza, turn on wifi by clicking the wifi symbol in the bottom right on the touchscreen, then follow the instructions to connect to the internet.
-Walk into the castle and walk over to the computer at the front.
-Click on the computer, then click “View Battle Video”
-Click on “Make A Battle Video Public” on the bottom screen.
-Select the Battle you want to upload, and click the upload button on the bottom screen.
-Follow the instructions and be sure to record the code for the video and send it to Raregold or Hooded Pitohui via PM.

Participants

UsernameMii NameIn-Game NameFriend CodeTime Zone
StargazingStargazingSasha0362-2552-7619EDT (UTC-4)

*Names in blue indicate that we have received your team.
« Last Edit: June 15, 2018, 11:24:06 AM by Hooded Pitohui »

Alex95

• NIWA Nut
  • Wiki Administrator
  • Dry Bowser
    • View Profile
    • Power Master Games
Re: Raregold and Pitohui's Gen VII Pokémon Tournament
« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2018, 09:47:59 AM »
Would join, but I don't have a Gen VII game. My friend and my sister do, but I doubt they'd let me use it :P Now if there were a Gen VI tourney, I'd join that.

Stargazing

• Fallen Angel
  • Celestial Guide
  • who's yoshiko lol
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2018, 12:19:17 PM »
Oh, this is in June? That's great, I can sign up!

My friend code is 3625-9730-1869, my IGN is Sasha, and I believe my IGN is Stargazing (if it isn't, I'm going to change it to that, anyway).

Raregold

• The #1 Sell-Out
  • Core 'Shroom Staff
  • Sparky
  • Fancy Toads Wear Fancy Clothes
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 04, 2018, 01:07:12 PM »
Thanks for joining! I hope you enjoy the competition when it starts.
« Last Edit: May 04, 2018, 01:43:56 PM by Raregold »

Stargazing

• Fallen Angel
  • Celestial Guide
  • who's yoshiko lol
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 04, 2018, 08:45:40 PM »
my IGN is Sasha, and I believe my IGN is Stargazing
oh my god i'm so sorry about this

i meant that my mii name is stargazing, not my ign

i forgot to proofread

Raregold

• The #1 Sell-Out
  • Core 'Shroom Staff
  • Sparky
    • View Profile
We still need 7 more participants to make this happen sign-ups end May 28th.

Stargazing

• Fallen Angel
  • Celestial Guide
  • who's yoshiko lol
    • View Profile
oh btw: my friend code had to be changed to 0362-2552-7619 due to losing my old 3ds

Anton

• Froppy
  • #mwchat Admin
  • Power Star
  • Hypnotoad
  • kero?
    • View Profile
btw if this doesn't get sign-ups by the set date, feel free to reschedule

Hooded Pitohui

• Core 'Shroom Staff
  • Whomp
    • View Profile
Hello, everyone. We thought this would be a good time to update everyone on the status of this tournament. While we have not yet officially reached the final sign-up date, it does not look as though we will have enough participants to make this tournament happen.

That said, based on the feedback we have received, we want to offer a potential Pokémon Tournament later in Awards season, in July. That said, we now have a poll up to see if there is any interest in a July tournament. We also want to find out if potential participants would prefer a Gen VII or Gen VI tournament. Of course, if you're not interested or can't do it in July, we'd like to hear from you, as well.

In closing, we just want to see what people are interested in doing, if anything. If there's interest, we're happy to host this. With that said,
we want to thank anyone who expressed interest in the initial plans for the tournament and encourage you to vote in the poll.

Roller

• A1 Sauce
  • Shy Guy
  • rollerC
    • View Profile
    • Roller Rink Discord
I'm interested, but I only have the Gen VI games and I need time to actually look for my 3DS haha--I've been checking on this thread, I just haven't said anything because I doubted I would find my 3DS by the original sign-up date.

Stargazing

• Fallen Angel
  • Celestial Guide
  • who's yoshiko lol
    • View Profile
ah, it’s unfortunate, because i’m unable to play in july... i wish you two the best of luck, though!

GalacticPetey

• Donkey Kong
    • View Profile
Has Pokemon Showdown been considered? It's free and easy and can do Gen VII.

Alternatively, I can do Gen VII. All my pokemon have been transferred up so I definitely can't do Gen VI.
« Last Edit: May 27, 2018, 09:33:56 PM by Captain America »

Raregold

• The #1 Sell-Out
  • Core 'Shroom Staff
  • Sparky
    • View Profile
I'd believe ot would be a viable alternative to those without physical copies of games for whichever tournament we decide to pursue

GalacticPetey

• Donkey Kong
    • View Profile
Showdown would also give everyone access to all the USUM content, as well as all mega stones and z crystals, but you can adjust which, if any of those, you want to allow.

Hooded Pitohui

• Core 'Shroom Staff
  • Whomp
    • View Profile
I'd believe ot would be a viable alternative to those without physical copies of games for whichever tournament we decide to pursue
To expand on what Raregold said, we're fine with people who would prefer to use Showdown using it, though there are some additional steps we have to go through to verify that everything is kept the same with the teams and no one is giving themselves a boost which they shouldn't have. If Showdown users are okay with working with us to make sure everything is right and fair, they're free to use it.

Showdown would also give everyone access to all the USUM content, as well as all mega stones and z crystals, but you can adjust which, if any of those, you want to allow.
The one thing about this is that we also want to make sure the tournament would be open to players with the actual games who don't know or don't want to use Showdown. Some players might be more comfortable with the actual game, and we want to make sure players of the original Sun and Moon could join the Gen VII tournament. Thank you for the suggestion, though. It was definitely a good thought.

Roller

• A1 Sauce
  • Shy Guy
  • rollerC
    • View Profile
    • Roller Rink Discord
I'll definitely be able to play if Showdown is allowed.

Hooded Pitohui

• Core 'Shroom Staff
  • Whomp
    • View Profile
Well, the poll has yet to officially close, but we’re close enough now that it seems pretty clear that there isn’t enough interest to make this happen this year. That said, I think it would be best if we officially state that we’re cancelling the 2018 Pokémon Tournament.

We’d like to sincerely thank everyone who expressed interest in this tournament at any point. We apologize that this couldn’t work out. That said, if any of you are still just itching to battle, let myself or Raregold know, and we’d love to have a match or two with you.

Thank you all again for giving us the opportunity to put this together, and do enjoy the rest of Awards Season and the other great tournaments and activities!