Games that give you nostalgic feelings

YoshiFlutterJump

Power Star
MarioWiki
YoshiFlutterJump
My first video game was...okay, I’m not entirely sure about the name, but it’s some game where you blast space shuttles. I think it was called “Space Shuttle Video Game”, but I’m not sure. It was made with this cheap system that was designed to look like a space shuttle. I don’t remember too much of it, really. I think I got it for my 3rd birthday, before I even got edutainment games. Back then, it was my favorite toy. Now...well, I’ve lost it. It’s been ten years since then, anyway. So I can’t really measure nostalgia for it.

At age four, I got a Leapster (you know, that ancient edutainment console made by LeapFrog) as a Christmas present. My absolute favorite game on that console was Sonic X, hands down. It was a game where Eggman captures Amy, Tails, and Knuckles, and attempts to stop Sonic from saving them with his Math Robots. Now despite being a math game, I hardly learned any math from it. I enjoyed seeing Sonic roll into a ball when I jumped. And I loved to see Sonic tap his foot as if to say, “I’m waiting!” It was my favorite video game at that time, before I got my Wii. While it’s probably the worst Sonic game to date, I still have nostalgic feelings when I play it. Unlike the aforementioned shuttle game, I still know where it is.

At age five, I got a Wii and three games for it on Christmas. These four are Wii Sports, Wii Sports Resort, and Mario Kart Wii. All three games still work to this day. Mario Kart Wii, though, still gives me intense nostalgia, especially in multiplayer.

But ultimately the most nostalgic game for me was New Super Mario Bros. Wii, especially in multiplayer. Seven years it’s been, and this game is one of my favorite games to date. It even sparked many family memes. It was when we first learned that Peach was a princess, and that Bowser was a bad guy. Riding Yoshi was amazing as well. Currently I have 2/5 stars on my save file (back then we called them “licenses” because of Mario Kart Wii), meaning I’ve cleared every course in the first eight worlds. I’ve completed half of World 9 at this point.

But it would be wrong not to mention some other nostalgic games, such as Mario Party 8. I remember playing Spector Inspector a million times, and that is still my favorite Mario Party minigame to this day. Funnily enough, I played that before I ever heard the name “Luigi’s Mansion”. I also remember the Star Battle. I loved it, especially Battle 7, where you fight Bowser with the Star Rod. It is my favorite Mario Party to date.

Super Mario Galaxy 2 was my first 3D Mario platformer, and is my favorite video game of all time. The degree of nostalgia was kinda low, however, as I had already run out of nostalgia with the aforementioned games. Despite this, it was instantly my favorite Mario game, even beating out NSMBW! The main reasons it didn’t give me much nostalgia was that it was a single-player game (the majority of the others were multiplayer) and that I played all the above games first. That isn’t criticism, however, and I love that game so much. I should note that it took me seven years to complete it 101%, and now I want Galaxy 1 above any other game.

Lastly, we have Mario & Luigi: Dream Team. I can’t say it was a nostalgic game (I didn’t play it until I was eleven), but I still remember the thrill of landing on Pi’illo Island and fighting my first battle. It took me six months to complete Normal Mode, and twelve to complete Hard Mode. I still play it, but not often due to the lack of endless play. It is my favorite Mario & Luigi game, and I’ve completed it 200%.

If you chose not to read my post, here were the games I mentioned:
  • Space Shuttle, my first video game.
  • Sonic X, my first Sonic game.
  • Mario Kart Wii, my first Mario game.
  • Mario Party 8, my first Mario Party.
  • New Super Mario Bros. Wii, my first Mario platformer.
  • Super Mario Galaxy 2, my first 3D Mario platformer.
  • Mario & Luigi: Dream Team, my first Mario RPG.
So what games do you have nostalgic feelings toward?

That's pretty cool, you had that Leapster Sonic game? I heard that's pretty obscure now.

--

Anywho, the very first two video games that I ever played were Sonic the Hedgehog 2 and Ms. Pacman both for the SEGA Genesis. I can't really recall which of the two that I played first but I feel that it was probably Sonic 2 since I have a very vivid memory of me and my niece (Who weirdly enough is a year older than me) playing in Emerald Hill zone and mistaking the badniks as friendly robots. I received these two games and the Genesis on my fifth birthday as well as a handful of other Genesis games like Disney's Aladdin, Taz Mania and the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers: The Movie game.

For a couple of years I primarily only had my Genesis since my Dad wasn't doing particularly well financially at the time and new consoles were rather expensive, but my niece was getting a PlayStation 2 and she decided to give me her original PlayStation since she didn't need it anymore due to the PS2's backwards compatibility. Alongside it she gave me Scooby-Doo and the Cyber Chase, Harry Potter and The Sorcerer's Stone and Shrek: Treasure Hunt which was my first exposure to 3D gaming. I was probably roughly 7 or 8-years-old when I received these games and I quite obsessed over Cyber Chase in particular for awhile since it was my favorite Scooby Doo movie and the game was quite fun although the chase segment with the skeleton Gladiator in the Ancient Rome level used to scare me a bit.

This sparked my interest in aiming to collect many games and consoles at a young age. With my Dad getting a better job and a new used game store opening in my hometown at the time known as "The Game Exchange", I got more and more PS1 games like the original Spyro trilogy, Crash Bandicoot 2: Cortext Strikes Back, Crash Bandicoot 3: Warped (I never did get the first Crash though...), Pacman World and many others.

Now this is where things get a bit fuzzy since I can't remember the exact order of events, but my first Nintendo console was either the Game Boy Color or Nintendo 64 and my first Mario game was either Super Mario Land or Super Mario 64... but regardless, both are equally nostalgic to me. I also received a Xbox from my Mother the following Christmas that year, with Sonic Riders and Madgascar.

As years went on and I transitioned from my childhood to my adolescences to eventually now in my early adulthood, my video game collection rapidly grew to a juggernaut in size. Nintendo games in general quickly grew to be some of the most nostalgic experiences that I ever had like when I first got the original NSMB and it practically never left my cartridge slot for many months or how I tried make my own Goodstyle-esque wand because I loved Wario: Master of Disguise so much. Or being mesmerized by the glory that is Paper Mario: The Thousand Year Door.

Really there is far too many nostalgic games for me to list. xD

Super Mario Galaxy, New Super Mario Bros Wii and Super Paper Mario.

I have said in another thread that I played Super Mario Bros, but I have no way to play it now, so can’t make me feel nostalgic. Although I do recall memories when I watch levels be played.

My version of the game was not official, and I could choose what world to play in from the title screen. But at some point, it was possible to make it scroll too far, making it spawn random parts pf a level, but unmoving unfortunately.

One of these worlds though was a version of the Minus World, the one that was like 1-3 (or 1-1) but underwater. Had fun in it.

Actually, it does give me nostalgia!

Edutainment computer games immediately came to mind when I think "nostalgic games" for one reason or another. Probably because I haven't seen them in a long time, unlike say Mario Kart 64 or Paper Mario which I'm constantly exposed to anyway and I don't get much nostalgic feelings for them.

Some of these are the ones I remember off the top of my head:

612BZF6K2XL._SS500_.jpg

tumblr_md1qzulaEN1qfdonvo1_500.jpg

SuperSolversMissionTHINKBoxShotPC.jpg

I say games like Doom, Warcraft, Starcraft, and Diablo II are all a pretty major part of my childhood too even though I mostly watched my older brother play them or I play them with cheats on or whatever so you'll often see those elements from those games very commonly in stuff that I mod.

For some reason Fire Emblem Fates gives me the nostalgic feelings, but many people call it
I say otherwise. It has also shaped the way I play Fire Emblem. As for Mario games that gives me nostalgic feelings is Mario Kart Wii and New Super Mario Bros. Wii as for the former it has the most playtime of ALL of my video games, clocked in at circa 7,000 hours. So it gives me a *bleep*load of nostalgia. For the latter it is nostalgic because it was my very first Nintendo game, in my early days I couldn't even go halfway into World 1. It is nostalgic since I was breathing in the good gameplay, time clocked in 1,000 hours. So that concludes what games gives me nostalgic feelings.

Kirby's Adventure. It was my first Kirby game and I have so many memories with it. Although my first video game was Super Mario Bros., I don't have nostalgic feelings toward it.

Spider-Man said:
Kirby's Adventure. It was my first Kirby game and I have so many memories with it. Although my first video game was Super Mario Bros., I don't have nostalgic feelings toward it.
Haha, I remember those days when I got on amiibo Tap all the time just to try and beat the final boss of Kirby's Adventure in three minutes. I quit that when I found out that the battle has two phases, meaning that I would never truly succeed. I found it fun, but I’ve decided to stop attempting the impossible.

Then again, I want to get Kirby’s Dream Collection for my Wii so I can play the first six Kirby games. I’m debating whether to get it or Mario All-Stars first, though. Once I get it, though, that final boss will succumb to my wrath!

Super Mario Bros. and Duck Hunt. The Sims and The Sims 2. Those were the games of my childhood (and, as far as Super Mario and The Sims 2 goes, my adulthood as well). Edutainment games JumpStart Second and Third grade: Mystery Mountain (I actually got to play the latter just a few weeks ago and it was still pretty fun to play as an adult).
When I was eleven or twelve I had a phase where I got really into arcade games and wanted to learn everything I could about them, although I didn't have any arcades available to me so I played Frogger, Space Invaders etc. online. When I was twelve I got a Nintendo DS and played a lot of New Super Mario Bros. and Mario Kart DS. Also several online games like Bubble Trouble, Mindscape and Playing with fire.
Then I have nostalgic feelings towards some games that I played as recently as three to five years ago because I associate them with certain things or because they had an impact on me, such as Virtue's last reward which I played when I had just moved into my first apartment, Elite beat agents and the Ace Attorney games.

Back