Donkey Kong Wiki merge thread

Should the areas by name categories (explained below) be merged from DKWiki?

• Total voters
As part of the merging process, I'm also asking for some feedback on what should be merged over and what should be discarded.

1. Wordplay categories

DKWiki has the following categories:
Personally, I think the first three should be merged over. Particularly in the DK universe, level and area names tend to have patterns, and it's interesting to note them. It may have some application in the Mario universe (though not with levels like "1-1"), but if not, they could also be subcategories of Category:Donkey Kong.

Combining the first 3 categories into Category:Areas with names using wordplay may also be a good option. Because not every level has wordplay, though most do. But then that bring up another question: what is wordplay? Does alliteration really count? Does anyone care?

Category:Areas named after characters should not be merged because references to characters are obvious from the area name, and don't really need to be explicitly listed somewhere; who cares about all the places that have Cranky Kong's name if they're probably also listed on Cranky Kong's page.

2. Quote pages

The handling of the quotes pages (now spoiler'd below) seems mostly straightforward, based on some comments. The only difference remaining is that DKWiki does present the quotes in a different tabled format to compare the variation between the original game and ports. This is particularly notable on dkwiki:Cranky Kong/quotes, where there's a large table organizing all the instruction manual quotes.

Let me know what you think. If I come across anything else that needs discussion, I will edit this post to add it.

Regarding the quotes pages, we do have quotes pages as well (Category:Quotes), for notable characters and games.

I personally don't really the categories are necessary, as categories are usually used to help with navigation. While it is interesting to note these ones, I'm not sure if it would really help with navigation at all, which I believe is a similar reason to how categories such as "Category:Levels with Parry" and "Category:New Levels" recently got deleted.

That is true, the categories are not generally useful (though they may be intrinsically interesting, which is my opinion) for navigational use, and they are certainly not necessary. But I do think that Category:Levels with Parry, etc. is something of a false analogy, because that categorizes something that could easily be listed on the Animal Buddies' individual pages, while these categories categorize something that really can't have its own master page (Area Naming Patterns? Nah.), and it's additionally a recognizable pattern in DK games; every level name in the DKC trilogy has some kind of wordplay, and I think some sort of organizational structure should recognize that. But I guess that could also be mentioned on the parent articles ("Levels in Donkey Kong Country (2|3) generally have wordplay in their names, including alliteration, rhyming, puns, and references to characters."). You also mentioned Category:New Levels, which may hit closer to home, but it's not completely comparable.

You don't need to worry about merging the Candy Kong quotes, I added a quotes section (Candy Kong#Quotes) to her page (As I couldn't find quite enough to warrant a new page) when I rewrote it a few months back, and I directly copied all the quotes from that page, plus a few more I found floating around, so it's already all there. :)

I’m interested in what’s going to happen to pages like Kalimba and Maraca Gang. I see that they exist on DK Wiki, but our wiki recently had a proposal that ended against those articles. I still support their creation, as they are the main antagonists of DKCR, but most people on this wiki are against it. So will we merge over the seven Tikis?

Easter Yoshi said:
I’m interested in what’s going to happen to pages like Kalimba and Maraca Gang. I see that they exist on DK Wiki, but our wiki recently had a proposal that ended against those articles. I still support their creation, as they are the main antagonists of DKCR, but most people on this wiki are against it. So will we merge over the seven Tikis?

Huh, didn't think about that. In a broad sense, if a page on the DKWiki hasn't been created here, it may be best to find out why.

The stated proposal, by the way (MarioWiki:Proposals/Archive_51#Give_the_seven_boss_Tikis_from_DKCR_their_own_articles).

As I just said over on MarioWiki talk:DKWiki Portal, if you want to use it as a landing spot for visitors who would have gone to dkwiki.com as the merge proposal suggests, well frankly, it needs a serious overhaul if it's to be a significant page - apart from one category change, it hasn't been edited in over half a decade, none of the links in the "Knowledge Base" section actually work, per se - they all now redirect to generic "list of..."s rather than DK-specific pages - and even the "Wiki Forum" link is out-of-date! All-in, it's pretty useless.

Easter Yoshi said:
I’m interested in what’s going to happen to pages like Kalimba and Maraca Gang.

This is sort of a side issue, because the main goal of the merge is content consolidation. For the purposes of content, it doesn't really matter whether the content is on a boss group page or individual boss pages. It needs to be moved either way.

Reboot said:
if you want to use MarioWiki talk:DKWiki Portal as a landing spot for visitors who would have gone to dkwiki.com as the merge proposal suggests, well frankly, it needs a serious overhaul if it's to be a significant page.
Yeah, I realized that would be the case when I suggested it as a landing site, but it seemed like the most logical place. I'm open to any other suggestions of how to handle that. I can probably begin sandboxing a renovated version to update it when the merge is nearing completion (we're nowhere near there yet).

Back