Do you think the upcoming Smash game is going to be a port or a new game?

Do you think the upcoming Smash game is going to be a port or a new game?

• It is going to be a port

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • It is going to be a new game

Votes: 10 100.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

London Parris

Retired until further notice
Banned User
MarioWiki
White Lightning
So there is uncertainty for the upcoming Smash game. So I decided to do a poll to see what we think it is going to be until they give us more info at E3.

It's most likely not going to be strong one way or another.

The roster, many of the stages, the engine and maybe even most of the general graphics may be just ported over from Smash 4. There was a datamine of some of the later updates of Smash 4 Wii U where they found something that'd make it more simpler for the team to port over things. This is why that despite the large roster, I don't expect that many cuts. This game will use alot of what Smash 4 had as a base. While many new things are built on top of it.

It will be however at least marketed like a new game. And depending on your definition on what counts as a new game. Maybe they'll have an entirely new take on Classic Mode, New modes entirely, a new theme, etc. There could be enough to Nintendo to say it's a new game but it still being obvious that much of it was ported over.

I just can't see Sakurai agreeing to immediately go back into a full Smash game from scratch immediately after he went through the development of Smash 4 that got to the point where he actually injured himself. Sakurai's still going to work hard on this game regardless, but to lessen the load I feel like it's only natural that all that work he put in Smash 4 not be put in vain.

So I can't really pick one side or the other on the poll/question. There's going to be plenty of new content that helps it entirely evade a port label. But at the same time there's probably not going to be alot that feels all that new in terms of a majority of the characters returning, the engine/gameplay feeling all that different, etc. The only way if it's 100% a new game is if it's a reboot that starts off with a smaller roster but gets bigger through DLC and updates. But I just don't see that happening, Smash 4 was successful. I think Nintendo likely wants to keep much of what Smash 4 had so now many Switch owners can experience many of the new characters they may have missed being able to use on a Home console if they didn't get a Wii U.

A new game with A LOT of reused assets.

Poll option: a newish game.

It will be Smash 5. I don’t know anything else because Nintendo won’t show any footage of the game.

The very fact that Nintendo is so secretive about it makes it downright obvious it’s gonna be a new game.

Back