Author Topic: Games in which Mario speaks?  (Read 2652 times)

Roll and Maria Renard

• Pwwnd123
  • King Bowser
  • Pwwnd123
  • Rest in Peace Walkazo 1991-2016
    • View Profile
Re: Games in which Mario speaks?
« Reply #20 on: April 01, 2018, 07:35:41 PM »
Hotel Mario, the Japanese version of Sunshine, Mario Power Tennis, and so on.

Princess Mario

• Mushroom Kingdom's Most 🦄Fabulous🦄 Wario Killer
  • Donkey Kong
  • LeftyGreenMario
  • R.I.P. Walkazo December 16, 1991 - March 27, 2016
    • View Profile
    • RationalWiki
« Reply #21 on: April 01, 2018, 07:57:28 PM »
Can't believe you all forgot the best game ever made

Hotel Mario
I didn't; I mentioned it in my post.

Builder Mario

• Top-Hatted Bean
  • Star Spirit
  • Fawfulthegreat64
  • I make YouTube videos sometimes
    • View Profile
    • YouTube
« Reply #22 on: April 01, 2018, 08:47:57 PM »
Mario's body speaks in Thousand Year Door. It's not really him but it's amusing to see his sprite doing the talk animation for full text boxes. In fact SPM has an unused animation for Mario speaking a text box.

As for Mario himself speaking, he has unused dialogue in Sunshine (and some in the JP version) and of course his Hotel Mario dialogue (which I disagree that nobody remembers it, it's remembered because of how bad it is)

Mario vs. Donkey Kong is one of the best instances of Mario having more voice acting. "Hey Donkey Kong, are you okay?" "NO! Not again!" I wish we could get a follow-up to that game with more of its gameplay and more of that kind of voice acting.

winstein

• Power Star
  • Justice is not limited, it is a universal quality
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 01, 2018, 10:56:20 PM »
I loved how Mario talks a lot in Mario's Game Gallery or FUNdamentals, but I am referring it to Game Gallery because that's how Mario call this game.

Also, there's a game called Game & Watch Gallery 4 where Mario (and Mr. Game & Watch) talks to the player when there are some announcements, such as over here (can't find a shorter video):
https://youtu.be/1H51Skz1c2U?t=6473

Thank you for reading.
« Last Edit: April 01, 2018, 11:11:24 PM by winstein »
(Credit goes to Alex95 for this signature)

Sheriff Woody

• Can't wait for the fourth movie.
  • Dry Bowser
  • Toadgamer
  • U R a toi
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 02, 2018, 12:31:22 AM »
He talks the most in Mario's Game Gallery.

SiFi

• Ido Romeko
  • Power Star
  • I like the ones where you kill demons from Hell.
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: April 02, 2018, 01:18:09 AM »
Mario's Picross, and maybe the other two?
Really? Examples?
The tutorial.
Credit to Edofenrir for the middle image below.

Bandana Waddle Dee

• The Legend of Dee
  • Shine Sprite
  • YoshiFlutterJump
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: April 04, 2018, 09:05:14 PM »
The Japanese version of Mario Sunshine.  There is one scene where he says “Looks like Mario’s gonna have to find a job!”, but it’s not captioned.

Princess Mario

• Donkey Kong
  • LeftyGreenMario
    • View Profile
    • RationalWiki
« Reply #27 on: April 04, 2018, 09:14:00 PM »
Not a game, but this is Mario talking in Spanish.

I find it ironic that the so-called silent character has so many voiced lines, and he is probably heard talking more than any other character (meaning not a speech bubble).

winstein

• Power Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: April 04, 2018, 09:24:16 PM »
I find it ironic that the so-called silent character has so many voiced lines, and he is probably heard talking more than any other character (meaning not a speech bubble).

The only Mario variant that could be considered silent is Paper Mario, and I don't know if Paper Mario talks in Super Paper Mario, but it's weird that Paper Mario speaks in Thousand Year Door. The other Mario variants are more talkative than that, even Super Mario Kun, so I presume when some people say Mario is silent, they think of Paper Mario.

Speaking of that, isn't it funny that the Mario characters only voices in English, compared to Sonic having more voice actors speaking different languages?

Thank you for reading.

Bandana Waddle Dee

• The Legend of Dee
  • Shine Sprite
  • YoshiFlutterJump
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: April 04, 2018, 09:30:20 PM »
Everyone in Paper Jam is supposedly an expert lip reader.  Paper Mario can talk by moving his mouth, but has no speech balloons or voice clips whatsoever.

Also, you can make Mario and Luigi talk a whole lot in Superstar Saga (at least in the deluxe version) by mashing the L or R buttons.

Princess Mario

• Donkey Kong
  • LeftyGreenMario
    • View Profile
    • RationalWiki
« Reply #30 on: April 04, 2018, 09:32:57 PM »
Paper Mario 64 Mario and preCharles Martinet Mario are probably the most silent pauvre cons there are. I think every Paper Mario game after Thousand-Year Door has Mario grunting. I think when people say Mario is silent, they think not only about Paper Mario, but the overall portrayals in Superstar Baseball, Super Sluggers, Mario Golf: World Tour,  Dance Dance Revolution: Mario Mix, and probably Mario Tennis Aces in the future (see that Toad insidiously standing next to him, that sneaky evil fil de pute).

Also, you can make Mario and Luigi talk a whole lot in Superstar Saga (at least in the deluxe version) by mashing the L or R buttons.
Oh wait, they returned that in the remake??? It's so weird that they did because every game after Superstar Saga seemed to have drop that.

YAMP! OY! HAMMER! THUNDERRRRR!
YAMP! SPEEN! HAMMUH! FAIYA!

winstein

• Power Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: April 05, 2018, 02:52:38 AM »
Paper Mario 64 Mario and preCharles Martinet Mario are probably the most silent pauvre cons there are. I think every Paper Mario game after Thousand-Year Door has Mario grunting. I think when people say Mario is silent, they think not only about Paper Mario, but the overall portrayals in Superstar Baseball, Super Sluggers, Mario Golf: World Tour,  Dance Dance Revolution: Mario Mix, and probably Mario Tennis Aces in the future (see that Toad insidiously standing next to him, that sneaky evil fil de pute).

I played Colour Splash and not once did I hear Mario spouting grunts or catchphrases, unlike in The Thousand Year Door. Because of that, I am led to believe that Sticker Star is similar, where Mario is completely silent. However, I won't be surprised if Super Paper Mario did have Mario do grunts, because you jump a great deal more in that game (and it's a successor of The Thousand Year Door, the game where Mario grunts).

I am not convinced that Mario's silent in the Baseball games. Don't you remember the credits in those games?

Thank you for reading.

Builder Mario

• Top-Hatted Bean
  • Star Spirit
  • Fawfulthegreat64
  • I make YouTube videos sometimes
    • View Profile
    • YouTube
« Reply #32 on: April 05, 2018, 03:16:10 AM »
Super Paper Mario indeed uses similar short grunts to TTYD. Honestly I'm not a fan of his voice being removed, especially since he's the only character to lose a voice. Luigi still has voice clips in Color Splash, as does Bowser. Peach might not though, though she definitely did in TTYD and SPM. Though, Luigi just sounds full-on like main series Luigi in CS, as opposed to SPM where his grunts were similar to Mario's.

Princess Mario

• Donkey Kong
  • LeftyGreenMario
    • View Profile
    • RationalWiki
« Reply #33 on: April 05, 2018, 04:00:52 PM »
They went for his speech part of the brain, then they went for his vocal chords. :'(

I am not convinced that Mario's silent in the Baseball games. Don't you remember the credits in those games?

Thank you for reading.
Well, I always know he at least makes noises, but it's his utter silence in the story modes of those games (even when an NPC), is really jarring and awkward. I hate it. It also makes other characters look like they're talking to themselves.

BBQ Turtle

• Princess L of the Shy Guys
  • Wiki Patroller
  • Luma
  • Crazy sponsors lady.
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: April 05, 2018, 04:41:51 PM »
While Mario does have sound clips that are used in the story mode of London 2012 for the 3DS, he's one of only four characters who don't actually have speech bubbles of dialogue (The others being Luigi, Sonic and Metal Sonic (But I presume he doesn't speak much normally because he's a robot)). He's either telepathically understood by other characters, interpreted by Tails or Toad, or communicates via hand movements, nods, question marks and exclamation marks. They even use a really limited selection of sound clips. I think it's probably the quietest and least expressive I've ever seem Mario. Even the Goomba Kamek disguises as Mario is more expressive.

Mister Wu

• Wiki Patroller
  • King Bowser
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: April 17, 2018, 07:08:05 PM »
Speaking of that, isn't it funny that the Mario characters only voices in English, compared to Sonic having more voice actors speaking different languages?
Actually...
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Borp

• Blooper
  • Vent
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: April 17, 2018, 08:43:23 PM »
Do those have voice actor credits?

Mister Wu

• Wiki Patroller
  • King Bowser
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: April 18, 2018, 05:06:07 PM »
Sadly, not as far as I know, unless they added them on Nintendo Kids Club (EU) or Play Nintendo (NA).
By the way, there are also episodes fully dubbed in Japanese, which are still aired but I didn't include as they don't seem to match the Western ones.

winstein

• Power Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: April 18, 2018, 10:09:36 PM »
Actually...

I meant more of the voices within the games. That is, unless they started using those voices in their respective languages, such as when you select the French option in Super Mario Odyssey and the voice changed to the French voice actors'.

Thank you for reading.

Time Turner

• The Fallen Child
  • Celestial Guide
  • You are filled with determination. (R/GD/TT)
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: April 19, 2018, 12:00:09 AM »
Of course, there's the *bleep*ty Mario's Time Machine/Mario is Missing, but no one remembers those.