Author Topic: Favorite and least favorite Mario characters  (Read 2612 times)

Baby Luigi

• Yeah, hahaha, a little bit more hand sanitizer and we wouldn't be in this mess.
  • Mushroom Attendant
  • 🇷🇺 Малыш Луиджи 🇷🇺 – Тарелка бл🧀🧀🧀 сырная!!
    • View Profile
Re: Favorite and least favorite Mario characters
« Reply #40 on: April 01, 2018, 05:12:10 PM »
Which Mario character doesn't have a generic personality?
RIP B. "Walkazo" Dalziel. December 16, 1991 to March 27, 2016.

LeftyGreenMario

• Do not show the embarrassing CPU scores during the battle.
  • Donkey Kong
  • R.I.P. Walkazo December 16, 1991 - March 27, 2016
    • View Profile
    • RationalWiki
« Reply #41 on: April 01, 2018, 05:17:08 PM »
Never said cuteness is bland. I said Yoshi's only traits are being expendable, trying to look cute when it's not, and its "personality" traits are way too similar to Mario (except even blander because at least Mario has other people he interact with including Luigi, himself :babymario:, Peach, Bowser, and maybe Toad?)

Birdo, I don't like her personality and she also happens to be ugly, so meh. To her credit, she's not some homogeneous stilt-leg hourglass female as how Peach, Daisy, Rosalina, and Pauline are.

Saltman

• Magikoopa
  • Mr. Saltman
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: April 01, 2018, 05:19:57 PM »

Which Mario character doesn't have a generic personality?

Bowser

Luigi

Wario

Others

The whole Marioverse cast is really big, You can't call them all "generic".

Baby Luigi

• Yeah, hahaha, a little bit more hand sanitizer and we wouldn't be in this mess.
  • Mushroom Attendant
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: April 01, 2018, 05:22:14 PM »
Bowser

Generic bad guy

Luigi

Generic coward who sometimes gets brave.

Wario

Generic greedy fat man.

The whole Marioverse cast is really big, You can't call them all "generic".

I mean, yeah the characters in of themselves are not generic.

Their personalities are.

LeftyGreenMario

• Donkey Kong
    • View Profile
    • RationalWiki
« Reply #44 on: April 01, 2018, 05:24:24 PM »
Their personalities at best are comparable to Left 4 Dead 2 survivors, and those guys are supposed to be archetypes, but their voice acting makes them fun. So really, you don't need developed characters to like them.

Baby Luigi

• Mushroom Attendant
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: April 01, 2018, 05:25:57 PM »
Exactly. I derive tons of enjoyment from Bowser's dialogue in the Mario Party games and I have lots of fun playing as Baby Mario and Baby Luigi. I just won't give them credit for traits they don't necessarily have.

Swiftie_Luma

• King of your Heart.
  • King Bowser
  • I've got new rules, I count 'em
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: April 01, 2018, 06:22:13 PM »
what i liked about Rosalina is that she was kinda an archetype as well (mature woman that doesn't talk a lot) but she was one that was breaking the wall between all this generic happyness and loud enveoirment that the rest of the characters make.

Nintendo deciding to make her like them is even worse because she is just not herself anymore.

I wish they let Rosalina appear in Odyssey because i just listened to Peach's lines in that game and Peach sounds very different... more mature ...

what i meant with this is that im sure once they record new Rosalina lines they will try to rescue her past character if that game is a more serious one...

all the rambling aside , im still not seeing Bowser's development tbh.

« Last Edit: April 01, 2018, 06:24:01 PM by Swiftie_Luma »

Mcmadness

• Power Star
  • The idiot who puts things in the wrong board.
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: April 01, 2018, 06:56:42 PM »
Peach used to be like that too. When she wasn't yelling for help she was generally shown as refined and well spoken.

But once you start going to parties and playing sports, the refinement just goes away.

Generic bad guy

Oi, King Egger from the Adventures of Lolo is a generic badguy.

I've been exposed to a lot of different media in my life and I still can't find anybody that is quite like him that existed before he was created.

I mean yeah Bowser is of a typical archtype, even based off a specific character from a film but even then the similarities are only visual.
« Last Edit: April 01, 2018, 06:59:50 PM by Mcmadness »
Thank you for taking the time to read this sig. This sig loves you.

Qayin

• Koopa Troopa
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: April 01, 2018, 07:58:34 PM »
Peach was also portayed as a bit of a spoiled prep back in the Wii era, complete with tantrum throwing (see Super Paper Mario and Super Mario Strikers).

winstein

• Shine Sprite
  • Justice is not limited, it is a universal quality
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: April 03, 2018, 01:34:55 AM »
I am surprised to see how civil this topic is currently, whereas I expected it to be unpleasant due to the nature of this topic. Here's hoping that this keeps up.

Favourite (assuming only one choice): Mario. There are a few characters I could consider favourites, but if there's one character that I like, it would be Mario because he's a mascot character that is organically one and not engineered as one (such as Sonic), since he has several characteristics that are not typical of mascots, such as being a human (typically animals are mascots), is not young (must be the moustache) and his design is based on design limitations to make him stand out. He's also a very cheerful person with the best voice because you will not expect a person like Mario to have a high-pitched voice that is also cheerful. Beyond this, the Mario characters I like are the ones that are outside the main cast besides Mario, which includes Daisy, Wario, Waluigi and Pauline, because they are featured less often so their appearance is more noteworthy compared to the likes of Luigi, Bowser, Peach and Yoshi (Toads are cool, though).

Least Favourite: Baby Wario. The only character I feel has the least amount of both purpose and charm that makes the character worthwhile, only because this character is made to be prominent (one of the Star Children!?) yet only appears in one game and never again. I guess money is important in Yoshi's Island DS so they made a character who does that and I guess getting 100% is easier with this skill. Even the other Baby characters appeared more often, and I even consider Baby Daisy having more of a point than Baby Wario mainly for appearing more often, despite starting out in a Mario Kart game!

Thank you for reading.
« Last Edit: April 03, 2018, 01:43:32 AM by winstein »
(Credit goes to Alex95 for this signature)

Swiftie_Luma

• King of your Heart.
  • King Bowser
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: April 03, 2018, 10:11:27 AM »
The "debuts in a spin off" comment never matters to Nintendo btw.

Toadette debuted in double dash and is more recurring than Birdo and others , even appearing in Odyssey

winstein

• Shine Sprite
  • Justice is not limited, it is a universal quality
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: April 03, 2018, 10:26:33 AM »
The "debuts in a spin off" comment never matters to Nintendo btw.

Toadette debuted in double dash and is more recurring than Birdo and others , even appearing in Odyssey

I get that. I only mentioned that point about Baby Daisy to demonstrate that there isn't much of a point to Baby Wario even though he had a supposedly important role in a more major game (and I feel that that role is not that noteworthy). At least Baby Daisy is cute, which has that going for her.

Thank you for reading.
(Credit goes to Alex95 for this signature)

Swiftie_Luma

• King of your Heart.
  • King Bowser
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: April 03, 2018, 10:41:28 AM »
Yeah I got you.

I think characters like Baby Daisy or even Baby Rosalina can suddenly pop up more and it shouldn't be a surprise

Marie

• The best squid girl
  • Dry Bowser
  • Luigi 64DD
  • If you find any good Marie fanart, send it here!
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: April 03, 2018, 02:11:51 PM »
But that also means characters like Waluigi and Daisy could show up more...

Credit to several artists for my avatars, see this post. Also click the above image for nice music!
Userpage | Ask | Art

Team Kirby

• Dry Bowser
  • YoshiFlutterJump
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: April 03, 2018, 02:22:07 PM »
Let’s just hope that Nintendo doesn’t do anything like Gold Luigi (easily the most pointless Mario character) ever again.

Swiftie_Luma

• King of your Heart.
  • King Bowser
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: April 03, 2018, 02:32:20 PM »
But that also means characters like Waluigi and Daisy could show up more...

But they dont

Pink Gold Peach is already showing up more, so anything could happen.

LeftyGreenMario

• Donkey Kong
    • View Profile
    • RationalWiki
« Reply #56 on: April 04, 2018, 01:01:15 AM »
Favourite (assuming only one choice): Mario. There are a few characters I could consider favourites, but if there's one character that I like, it would be Mario because he's a mascot character that is organically one and not engineered as one (such as Sonic), since he has several characteristics that are not typical of mascots, such as being a human (typically animals are mascots), is not young (must be the moustache) and his design is based on design limitations to make him stand out. He's also a very cheerful person with the best voice because you will not expect a person like Mario to have a high-pitched voice that is also cheerful.

Thank you for reading.
Mario's design is virtually an accident, and that's what I love about him. I think one trait typical of a mascot he does have, traits that would be inviting to children, though is his baby-like proportions (I love that description of him) and his roundness. I also think big round noses also soften the character's image. You see these often on cartoon characters. On the other hand, I don't find Sonic, Banjo, or Crash's designs all that appealing.

But anyhow, it's all right to hate Mario. :> I haven't seen people who truly hate Mario the same way I hate Yoshi though. Like in a "I want to shove a head bore saw up his nose" way. I bet it would be hilarious though! I've seen it toward Toad, Peach, and maybe Daisy, but never really Mario?

I've been exposed to a lot of different media in my life and I still can't find anybody that is quite like him that existed before he was created.
I don't know if I said the same about Mario, but Asterix gave me strong Mario vibes and the Gaul guy came first.
« Last Edit: April 04, 2018, 01:03:23 AM by LeftyGreenMario »

Isabelle

• Best girl. And dog. And definitely NOT deserving of the mostly *bleep* fanart she gets.
  • Shine Sprite
  • Koops
  • The adorable, fluffy, 100% hug material Isabelle.
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: April 04, 2018, 03:38:17 AM »
Now that I think of, he has baby proportions, a mustache, and a round nose just like Mario.

Moldo

• I have no idea why I made Pink Yoshi as a troll face, but hey, it's good for when you tell a bad joke.
  • King Bowser
  • Moldomré
    • View Profile
    • Planet Minecraft Profile
« Reply #58 on: April 04, 2018, 08:28:02 AM »
W-what?! TWO people on here hate Yoshi!?! I'm shocked! Yoshi is the better most bestest character in all of game history...meh, to each his own.

Honestly, besides enemies, there's no such thing as a bad/weird character. Although that Koopa in PMTTYD that had a bunch of Princess Peach photos was a bit of a stalker.

Swiftie_Luma

• King of your Heart.
  • King Bowser
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: April 04, 2018, 09:39:59 AM »
I can't say I hate Yoshi but he is really overrated to the point it's quite common for the generic and standard "Mario" fan to be a Yoshi fanboy , usually having an avatar or thematic based on Yoshi or any of his colored variants.

Doesnt help either that Yoshi is quite bland as a character , filling one of the most common archetypes ever which is being liked by being seen as cute.