Why's there a negative stigma against characters that are prominent in spin-offs

winstein

Justice is not limited, it is a universal quality
Awards Committee
MarioWiki
winstein
Although this is a topic that is not necessarily related to Mario, it is a pretty common topic that occurred among Mario fans, which is why I posted it on a Mario board instead of a more off-topic board. I am expecting this topic to be Mario-oriented in that case, but if you feel there's merit in this topic being discussed outside the scope of Mario, please do mention it.

The thrust of this topic is that characters that do not have much presence in the Super Mario games (basically the main games), most famously Daisy and Waluigi, are seen as a negative presence in the Mario games because they frequently appear in spin-off games more so compared to the main Super Mario games. In a way, I can get why they think so, and correct me if my hypothesis is incorrect, is that they wanted every character in spin-off games to have some form of relevancy within the main games because it gives them some form of legitimacy when it's essentially their off-time. Moreover, because their appearances in such spin-offs does not afford them enough opportunities for their characters to be explored, some might even question the point of their existence. Keep in mind that I am using Daisy and Waluigi here because unlike many characters associated with spin-offs (including the RPG games), they both have the quality of appearing alongside what many consider the "main cast" and prominently appearing in spin-offs.

One might point at a character's first impression as a point of contention, in which a character's first appearance will determine if a character is well-liked. The best example of a character with a great first impression in recent times has to be Rosalina, whose storybook touched the hearts of many players and became a fan favourite. Characters with useful utility like Yoshi is also subject to a wonderful first impression. Villains could get this treatment, as Donkey Kong and Wario has shown. On the other hand, a damsel-in-distress is typically viewed as a negative attribute, especially one that is basically the same character as a prior one. I am of course referring to Daisy, who started as a damsel-in-distress and is similar to Peach in that purpose. Waluigi is quite notorious mainly because he was created as a tennis partner for Wario, and unlike the human characters that are created for Mario Golf and Mario Tennis, Waluigi managed to ascend from his purpose and become a mainstay in spin-offs, even appearing in the last Mario-based Game & Watch Gallery, and I believe some people took issue with that.

I think it really comes down to how the developers want to use the character as much as how the fans like them. Peach has managed to flourish because the developers and artists has given a lot of scenarios where Peach does useful things despite her purpose of being created, and many will cite the Mario RPGs and the Super Mario Adventures comics where she has great and memorable moments. That's not mentioning giving her a useful float in Super Mario Bros. 2, and because of that, Peach has became one of the main characters. Luigi also got a lot of moments to shine even though he was created to be a palette swap for Mario, and it's cumulated to Luigi's Mansion, a game that explored Luigi's character in greater detail. Since then, Luigi appeared much more frequently with the main exception of Super Mario Sunshine. Bowser could have been a generic villain, but his status as a main villain allowed writers to give him various roles and moments, and personally speaking, my favourite ones are from the cartoons.

As for my stance on characters that are created outside of the main games, well I am one who prefers to like characters than to dislike them, so if you ask me what character I dislike, I would have a harder time answering that question, more so to explain why I dislike them. I am generally fine with characters that are designed outside the main games because after all, they are just characters and anybody's favourite character can come from anywhere. After all, not everybody is born lucky or in favourable conditions so to just view a character from their purpose of creation is in my opinion quite narrow-minded. Any character can become prominent if the developrs allow them to flourish, just like how a person can become valuable even though they may come from a place of unfavourable conditions, and because of this I am happy for people who liked a character, especially the less loved ones.

I apologise if this got quite rambly and veered out of the scope of the topic. So to repeat as per the topic, why is there a negative stigma on characters created outside of the main Super Mario games?

Thank you for reading.

Because the idea of them in Smash means that they would "steal" other character's slots - who they like more.

i don't really feel like there's that much of a negative stigma? i know there are some people who hate either daisy or waluigi, but from what i've seen most people seem to be at worst indifferent towards daisy (of course, feelings about her fans are a completely different thing) and waluigi is generally well liked among mario communities afaik

really the only problem with spin-off exclusives is that they're rather underdeveloped. sure, some personality might be able to slip through in things like victory animations and stuff but apart from that theres not many distinguishing characteristics. it also doesn't help that the majority of spinoff titles all have the same core gameplay, with the only differences in abilities usually being related to stats, so its not like there's any 'signature moves' that can be seen for these characters

look at characters like luigi and wario. if look at their personalities solely using examples from the sport spin-offs, you might be able to figure out luigi is a bit of a scaredy cat and wario is a bit mean, but you're missing out on a lot of character traits that they've been given in other games. with daisy and waluigi though, you just can't do that. there's no other places to look for things about their character. that's why people put so much emphasis on 'main games' (and also probably RPGs and character specific spinoffs too), its because it gives them a way have a more unique role as opposed to being something like 1 out of 20 possible tennis players. like in the new mario tennis, waluigi and daisy have the same chances of getting additional personality shown as a generic chain chomp does. thats something to think about

so really, i feel like the reason for people 'not liking' these characters is that there just isn't much there to like in the first place. if these characters actually started being developed and were turned into more than just obligatory roster filler, then maybe less people would dislike them. and maybe we'd also be able to have a lot less arguments about whether or not they deserve to be in smash :waluigi:

I'd say it's less the characters and more the constant whining about it.

Mm3 post in here is so funny considering he is the first one to cry and say that X character "stole" Daisy's spot in x game.

Obsessive fans can make me like any character less, whether they're spinoff fodder, individual Koopalings, or RPG exclusives.

Splash said:
i don't really feel like there's that much of a negative stigma? i know there are some people who hate either daisy or waluigi, but from what i've seen most people seem to be at worst indifferent towards daisy (of course, feelings about her fans are a completely different thing) and waluigi is generally well liked among mario communities afaik

really the only problem with spin-off exclusives is that they're rather underdeveloped. sure, some personality might be able to slip through in things like victory animations and stuff but apart from that theres not many distinguishing characteristics. it also doesn't help that the majority of spinoff titles all have the same core gameplay, with the only differences in abilities usually being related to stats, so its not like there's any 'signature moves' that can be seen for these characters

look at characters like luigi and wario. if look at their personalities solely using examples from the sport spin-offs, you might be able to figure out luigi is a bit of a scaredy cat and wario is a bit mean, but you're missing out on a lot of character traits that they've been given in other games. with daisy and waluigi though, you just can't do that. there's no other places to look for things about their character. that's why people put so much emphasis on 'main games' (and also probably RPGs and character specific spinoffs too), its because it gives them a way have a more unique role as opposed to being something like 1 out of 20 possible tennis players. like in the new mario tennis, waluigi and daisy have the same chances of getting additional personality shown as a generic chain chomp does. thats something to think about

so really, i feel like the reason for people 'not liking' these characters is that there just isn't much there to like in the first place. if these characters actually started being developed and were turned into more than just obligatory roster filler, then maybe less people would dislike them. and maybe we'd also be able to have a lot less arguments about whether or not they deserve to be in smash :waluigi:

I don't recall a lot of "main games" giving much context to Princess Peach. Especially in Mario Odyssey. Man, Mario Odyssey made me dislike Peach even more. And are you seriously saying that there is no personality shown in the new Mario Tennis? I am going to claim otherwise! In the new Mario Tennis there are actually a ton of new character specific moves and Power Shots this time around.

And also, are you saying that Daisy has as much personality as a Chain Chomp????? Why? The Chain Chomp was obviously put there as a gimmick character whilst Daisy is a consistent part of it. Some of the sports games she is in even have full dialogue, but the latest Mario and Sonic game....no one cared! I think it is just an inherent bias against certain kinds of games. Did you know that sports games are statistically the least talked about games in the medium. If people stopped with this stupid nonsense that these games are filler and that there are actual people working behind them and putting as much love as they can into these projects, maybe this bad perception of "spin-offs" can stop.

I'd agree that there isn't really a stigma against spin-off characters so much as a stigma against the fanbases of characters because of sections of said fanbases that take it too far. Sometimes people will express this dislike of the fanbase by talking negatively about the character even though it's not the character's fault per se.

it's not Daisy's fault she is so obnoxious.

It's not Daisy's fault her fans are obnoxious.

---------------------

the true criminal is the to this date unamed creator of Daisy.

I don't necessarily agree with the argument that sports spin-offs are the games that treat their characters uncharacteristically. If anything, I honestly think the main Mario platformers are the ones that decharacterize the characters more. You don't get very flashy post-hole animations in Super Mario Odyssey the same way Mario Golf: World Tour and Mario Sports Superstars does, which I think says more than you think about the character, especially about someone like Mario and Luigi. Waluigi does that rose thing, and he's in generally very quirky such as behaving , and thus has drawn a lot of characters to like him despite not having any sort of appearance at all in the main series games. Mario isn't even much better in the RPGs than he is in Mario Strikers Charged, and Luigi has been so inconsistently characterized, especially in Paper Mario, that I hardly count his appearances in Paper Mario to how he is normally portrayed everywhere else. Characters also have their own cute little story arc in story modes of the sports games such as Mario Super Sluggers or even little lines of dialouge in Fortune Street that let their personalities flourish where they normally couldn't, especially in Mario platformers. I think the spin-offs give people more reason to enjoy these characters, not less. I get more enjoyment out of using Toadette in Mario Party than me seeing her play her role in Mario & Luigi: Paper Jam, but the extra role is nice and all.

People want the spin-off characters to appear in the main games because those characters deserve roles that further distinguish them as their own individuality, due to their likability and popularity. People have been asking for the likes of Daisy and Waluigi to appear in a Mario platformer since pretty much forever, and I think Nintendo is very dense when it comes to that, preferring to make one-shot forgettable characters that will be gone by the next game rather than use the popular recurring spin-off ones that people are familiar with and love. We didn't even get Wario in New Super Mario Bros. 2, despite Wario being a perfect fit in the game, either as a playable character or the main villain, so not even the spin-off exclusives are the only characters in danger of not being used. Lately, Rosalina hasn't even seen much appearances as a major character with a role in Mario platformers recently, having all of her appearances be spin-offs, with not even a physical appearance in Odyssey.

Hell, speaking as a Baby Luigi fan, Mario Kart: Double Dash gave me a reason to even like him in the first place that his original appearance (in which he barely appeared in) didn't. If he didn't appear in that game and stuck as a damsel in distress in Yoshi's Island forever, I wouldn't even be a Baby Luigi fan. Also, I'm sure his Double Dash appearance is a strong reason he went on to have a starring role in Mario & Luigi: Partners in Time, because he was liked in that game, not because people cared about him in Yoshi's Island.

SiFi said:
Obsessive fans can make me like any character less, whether they're spinoff fodder, individual Koopalings, or RPG exclusives.
It's not a rational way to dislike a character, but on the other hand, I do understand where that attitude is coming from.

i dont dislike Daisy per see but every daisy vocal supporter says teh exact same dialogue , its almost like they do reharsals for it.

They talk about Rosalina more like us fans do! lmfao!

memoryman3 said:
Because the idea of them in Smash means that they would "steal" other character's slots - who they like more.

You have a point about Smash, where online discussions about characters that are yet to be playable sounds too much like something many people are invested over, and the rationalisations that came from it. In other words, Smash having the status of "playable characters are naturally popular" is why some people want their favourites to be in, so that they can share their favourites more easily.

Splash said:

I get the under-developed part, which is something I outlined earlier: the other characters are given moments where they are able to showcase their character and to take charge, and that is why they are able to be popular. Daisy and Waluigi are unique because they're not rotated out like many other characters are (when was the last time Koopa Troopa was playable outside Mario Kart?), and because they have been around for such a long time, they got more character development compared to the less important characters.

However, I think that the developers did a great job with what they have, particularly with Waluigi because although he's only in spin-offs, his over-the-top characterisation and strange character design managed to win the hearts of quite a number of people. I feel that at this point the next step is to put them in bigger games because he's the most popular spin-off only character (probably more popular than a good deal of characters found only in what are considered main games) that it won't be uncharacteristic to include him in more major roles.

I suppose if Waluigi becomes playable the next time he's in Smash, then the discussion ends here and there.

Plague Knight said:
I'd agree that there isn't really a stigma against spin-off characters so much as a stigma against the fanbases of characters because of sections of said fanbases that take it too far. Sometimes people will express this dislike of the fanbase by talking negatively about the character even though it's not the character's fault per se.

You got a very good point. If there is enough exposure to an unsolicited praise and support for a character, it can be easy to blame the character in question. I guess the reason is that characters not having feelings the same way people do make them easier to blame.

Baby Luigi said:
People want the spin-off characters to appear in the main games because those characters deserve roles that further distinguish them as their own individuality, due to their likability and popularity. People have been asking for the likes of Daisy and Waluigi to appear in a Mario platformer since pretty much forever, and I think Nintendo is very dense when it comes to that, preferring to make one-shot forgettable characters that will be gone by the next game rather than use the popular recurring spin-off ones that people are familiar with and love. We didn't even get Wario in New Super Mario Bros. 2, despite Wario being a perfect fit in the game, either as a playable character or the main villain, so not even the spin-off exclusives are the only characters in danger of not being used. Lately, Rosalina hasn't even seen much appearances as a major character with a role in Mario platformers recently, having all of her appearances be spin-offs, with not even a physical appearance in Odyssey.

Hell, speaking as a Baby Luigi fan, Mario Kart: Double Dash gave me a reason to even like him in the first place that his original appearance (in which he barely appeared in) didn't. If he didn't appear in that game and stuck as a damsel in distress in Yoshi's Island forever, I wouldn't even be a Baby Luigi fan. Also, I'm sure his Double Dash appearance is a strong reason he went on to have a starring role in Mario & Luigi: Partners in Time, because he was liked in that game, not because people cared about him in Yoshi's Island.

I guess in a way, the one-off characters in Mario platformers are to give each game their own identity, which I think is not a bad idea. Super Mario Sunshine is a pretty good example, where you have the Piantas and the FLUDD, and that made Sunshine memorable in good and bad ways. However, I do agree that the popular characters should at least be featured in more prominent roles, so for example, a Mario RPG that puts Wario and Waluigi as villains for once would be a start, since Mario & Luigi only has one final boss that is completely unrelated to Bowser in the five games it currently has.

I never considered the Double Dash appearance that made Baby Luigi feature in Partners in Time, but it certain sounds quite plausible since Baby Mario and Baby Luigi are dressed as they were from Double Dash rather than Yoshi's Island.

LeftyGreenMario said:
SiFi said:
It's not a rational way to dislike a character, but on the other hand, I do understand where that attitude is coming from.

I too thought that it's a really silly reason to dislike a character just because there are people who are obsessive with them, but it probably is the same feeling one gets when they eat too much of the same food that they got sick of it. From what I see, it applies most to characters that one is neutral with.

Thank you for reading.

Super Radio said:
Swiftie Luma criticising MemoryMan for being a fanboy.

C-658VsXoAo3ovC.jpg

i mean at least i dont say stuff that isnt true.

Rosalina being relevant and acknowledged by Nintendo isnt a lie.

Daisy being trapped in spin off land since almost 20 years ago isnt a lie either.

You know what else isn't a lie?

Rosalina has a larger fanbase.

I don't even care about Rosalina and I can see this.

i barely would use the fanbase as an argument as well , i like to voice my opinions and i only speak for myself.

And once again, i wouldn't be so quick to shut down mm3 or any other when it comes to Rosalina if what they said wasnt all lies.

Mario Run is on the levels of Galaxy 1 or 3D World = LIE

Daisy is treated good by Nintendo = LIE

Rosalina took ''someone's spot'' = LIE

Daisy is a ''shoe in'' in Smash = well after 3 games this is a clear LIE

If you wanna come for me and try to intimidate me at least say something that's true like Daisy having Crystal abilities in Strikers Charged (something that they ironically forget even when this is one of the instances Daisy has something unique thats not like Peach)

I simply can't take anybody that labels themselves as ''we are daisy'' seriously , that's a joke.

Unless Daisy was a literal legion of all consumingness, nobody should be saying "we are Daisy"

tbh I dont care if someone really likes a character but when people go 'HA HA MY WAIFU IS BETTER YOURS SUCKS IN COMPARISON" over and over it gets annoying after awhile. why don't people express their love for a character via stating what like about them or w/e instead of constantly comparing them to other people's favorites? i mean i don't mind when people just like casually compare characters to eachother and say what they do and don't like about them but passive aggressive or flat out aggressive waifu wars are dumb imo

I'm pretty sure Waluigi now ranks amongst the most popular characters in Mario.
And people wouldn't hate Daisy if it wasn't for her fucking fans.

Shadowshy said:
tbh I dont care if someone really likes a character but when people go 'HA HA MY WAIFU IS BETTER YOURS SUCKS IN COMPARISON" over and over it gets annoying after awhile. why don't people express their love for a character via stating what like about them or w/e instead of constantly comparing them to other people's favorites? i mean i don't mind when people just like casually compare characters to eachother and say what they do and don't like about them but passive aggressive or flat out aggressive waifu wars are dumb imo
And that's exactly what was wrong with the last Splatfest of the first Splatoon.

Back