The Ultimate Mario Face-Off!!! (Division 4, Round 4)

YoshiFlutterJump

Power Star
MarioWiki
YoshiFlutterJump
All right, time to see which Mario game is best!

Just give an answer to the poll above! You can explain your vote in a reply, if you want. The poll is replaced every week, although I may be late in replacing it sometimes.

The current poll is for the best Mario Tennis game! The console and handheld versions of the games are counted together in this poll.

Winners
Best 2D Platformer (Division 1) = New Super Mario Bros. Wii
Best 3D Platformer (Division 1) = Super Mario Odyssey
Best Mainstream Mario Kart Game (Division 2) = Mario Kart 8 (Deluxe)
Best Arcade Mario Kart Game (Division 2) = Mario Kart Arcade GP DX
Best Mainstream Mario Party Game (Division 3) = Mario Party 8
Best Handheld Mario Party Game (Division 3) = Mario Party DS
Best Mario Golf Game (Division 4) = Mario Golf: Toadstool Tour
Best Mario Baseball Game (Division 4) = Mario Super Sluggers
Best Mario & Sonic Game (Division 4) = M&S at the London 2012 Olympics
Best Paper Mario Game (Division 5) = Paper Mario: The Thousand-Year Door
Best Mario & Luigi Game (Division 5) = Mario & Luigi: Bowser's Inside Story
Best Mario Tennis game (Division 4) = Mario Power Tennis

Re: The Ultimate Mario Face-Off!!!

On the condition that New Super Mario Bros. U includes the Luigi U expansion (which is the game I got instead of both separately), I would vote for that because it offers a lot of Mario platforming goodness in several flavours that include the tradition gameplay (Mario U), short levels (Luigi U) and the challenges (found in Mario U).

Thank you for reading.

winstein said:
On the condition that New Super Mario Bros. U includes the Luigi U expansion (which is the game I got instead of both separately), I would vote for that because it offers a lot of Mario platforming goodness in several flavours that include the tradition gameplay (Mario U), short levels (Luigi U) and the challenges (found in Mario U).

Thank you for reading.
NSLU is DLC for NSMBU, so yes, it counts.

LeftyGreenMario's burned calories and now I'm here and prepared for the face-off!!!

Oh...

*leaves disappointed*

I went for New Super Mario Bros. Wii because it's the first among the 4-person Mario platformers. I guess it's unfair, but it also has modding support including the amazing Newer Super Mario Bros. which really extends its shelf life.

I feel unqualified to vote in this since I haven't beat all of these games...

Plague Knight said:
I feel unqualified to vote in this since I haven't beat all of these games...
Just vote among all you’ve played. I haven’t played too many of these, really. Don’t forget that playing an amiibo Tap or Smash demo counts as playing it.

Super Mario World is simply timeless. :mario: :yoshi:

Super Mario World was more than great. Such creative, challenging, unique levels deserve to be the best in the series despite their simplicity. Also the power-ups and :yoshi:

But the boss fights were too easy.

I choose Super Mario Maker for being able to create things and uses the mechanics of SMB, SMB3, SMW, and NSMB(U).

There are 3 Main Games I would vote for:

Super Mario World (+Great Level Design and Physics)
New Super Bros. (+Some of the best Level Design in the series -Super Mario Bros. Physics)
Super Mario Maker (+The ability to create levels -Super Mario Bros. Physics and a ton of inaccuracies of in each Game Mode)

Overall I'd have to say Super Mario World is the Best out of the three, due to stated negatives (there's probably some for SMW, but I can't think of any).

Sorry I’m a bit late, but...

The winner of Round 1 is...New Super Mario Bros. Wii, with 5 votes! NSMBU and SMM were close, with 4 votes each.

The new poll is for the best 3D Mario platformer! Voting ends Saturday!

smh my vote for Odyssey is the first and both Super Mario Galaxies get two votes

Let's be honest, SM64 is perfect and will never be be beaten by any game that doesn't have Odyssey in the title.

I prefer Super Mario 3D World.

This is a tough one. I love most Mario 3D platformers:
- Super Mario 64 was the first one and got me to realise how revolutionary Mario platformers are.
- Super Mario Sunshine has the best controls for Mario, and the FLUDD compliments Mario's movements very well.
- Super Mario Galaxy has a nice gravity mechanic.
- Super Mario 3D World has multiple characters and has tight platforming.
- Super Mario Odyssey has Mario donning costumes and platforming, and capturing certain objects. Also, it has a photo feature!.

I think I will vote for Super Mario 3D World because it is not as popular as the rest. I might vote 3D Land if I played that game (I am interested in it but did not get the opportunity to play it).

Thank you for reading.

Odyssey is everything 3D Mario aspired to be all the way from 64, before it started getting more linear and adopting flagpoles. 64 may have heavy nostalgia on its side, as well as Galaxy for me, but Odyssey is just the closest to perfection any 3D Mario has ever come.

For 2D Mario I voted Maker btw. I love Mario World but Maker is a game that you never truly finish. There's always more to do, more possibilities for level creation which is why I want that game on Switch.

About time I explain my votes.

For 2D Mario, I was split between NSMBW and SMM. NSMBW had the best multiplayer of any Mario game to date, while SMM is basically an endless library of unofficial Mario levels that anyone can add to. In the end, NSMBW is the winner purely because of my multiplayer experience with my three sisters (back when I only had three...). SMM is a really good game as well; it just didn’t have the same multiplayer experience.

For 3D Mario, I went Galaxy 2. When I first played it back in 2011, though, I hardly knew I was in space (well, I was six). I was instead impressed by the 3D platforming, as it was my first 3D Mario. I loved seeing all the Star Rings and Star Bits. Odyssey, while a very good game, wasn’t quite the same.
While it does have three locations in the Moon Kingdom (Honeylune Ridge, Rabbit Ridge, Culmina Crater), it never actually left the galaxy and it didn’t feature Rosalina in any way.
3D World didn’t quite cut it either, especially considering its multiplayer mechanic being very...bad.

I didn't grow up with Super Mario 64 so I don't have the nostalgia for it. The game I DID grow up with was Super Smash Bros. 64. So, vote doesn't go to it. Mario also sounds like an idiot in this game and the camera can really suck.

Super Mario Sunshine, I just can't enjoy. It has its fun parts, but I don't want to experience the total crap parts too, the parts that are waiting for me. I've endured Blooper Surfing, the sandbird, Panchinko Machine, Pinna Park roller coaster, and I know there's more than those. FLUDD is a nice gimmick, and the tropical setting doesn't bother me. Not sure if I had camera issues.

Super Mario Galaxy amazed me when I was younger and I really like the game. It also has its share of crap though including Slingpod Galaxy, the Trial Galaxies, Luigi's Purple Coins, a lot of tedious Purple Coin missions. Good soundtrack though, and the level design is pretty good. I have some camera issues sometimes. I think the nostalgia for this game is a little tiring to hear. On another thought, it's funny how nostalgia is NOW applied to this game. I remember talking about nostalgia for this game years ago, and here we are.

Super Mario Galaxy 2 has a good soundtrack and some good concepts, but it's not much beyond that. It's a missed opportunity, a rehash of Galaxy 1, just something to cash-in Galaxy 1's success. Easily my most disliked 3D Mario platformer, but it's not the worst 3D Mario platformer. Yoshi also sounds atrocious and he's better off just not being there, and all his power-ups massively suck too.

Super Mario 3D Land is all right. It's unique for its time and I enjoyed it for what it is. It's just not a game I'd miss if it were to be suddenly wiped from existence though.

Super Mario 3D World is great. The multiplayer is a great addition, but its implementation is annoying and intrusive. New Super Mario Bros. Wii did the multiplayer thing better. I don't know what the developers were thinking to make the pick-up button be shared with the fireball button or have the Piranha Plant bite you or maybe why the cannon box be capable of friendly fire while mistakes are really punishing for the team, with no proper bubbling like New Super Mario Bros. Wii, which can protect you from griefers at least. But 3D World seemed to tire me at the time, making me think Mario is losing luster.

Super Mario Odyssey is really good even though sometimes, I think it missed the opportunity for building Mario's existing world (like reintroducing Pauline) rather than introduce us new worthless characters like Broodals and Cookatiel. But I like the new takes on the franchise including realistic reptilian things, no lives, biggish worlds, no goals like Power Stars (the moons are a massive improvement over the Power Stars). I mean, there's so little to dislike about the gameplay and level design of the game, maybe except I wish there was a little more of a challenge. But Moon hunting is really fun for me. Also, Odyssey is the only one with a worthwhile post-game, and it kept its share of bullshit to the minimum, being mainly Farther Side of the Moon (which is mostly boring) and the Volleyball minigame, which is just dreadful despite my being lucky enough to beating it in a few tries without Cappy. Controls are the best in the series, Cappy is a very well-integrated mechanic, and Mario is adorable and can play dress-up and even crossdress. So, Odyssey's the best game for me.

Super Mario Odyssey won this time, with 6 votes! The SMG games were tied for runner-up, with 4 votes each! And last place was 3D Land, which had no votes.

The next poll will commence momentarily. Round 3 will be for the best Mario Kart game! Voting ends next Saturday!

Back