Author Topic: The Ultimate Mario Face-Off!!! (Division 4, Round 4)  (Read 5518 times)

winstein

• Power Star
  • Justice is not limited, it is a universal quality
    • View Profile
Re: The Ultimate Mario Face-Off!!!
« Reply #20 on: March 27, 2018, 10:21:26 PM »
This is a tough one. I love most Mario 3D platformers:
- Super Mario 64 was the first one and got me to realise how revolutionary Mario platformers are.
- Super Mario Sunshine has the best controls for Mario, and the FLUDD compliments Mario's movements very well.
- Super Mario Galaxy has a nice gravity mechanic.
- Super Mario 3D World has multiple characters and has tight platforming.
- Super Mario Odyssey has Mario donning costumes and platforming, and capturing certain objects. Also, it has a photo feature!.

I think I will vote for Super Mario 3D World because it is not as popular as the rest. I might vote 3D Land if I played that game (I am interested in it but did not get the opportunity to play it).

Thank you for reading.
(Credit goes to Alex95 for this signature)

Builder Mario

• Top-Hatted Bean
  • Star Spirit
  • Fawfulthegreat64
  • I make YouTube videos sometimes
    • View Profile
    • YouTube
« Reply #21 on: March 28, 2018, 08:56:54 AM »
Odyssey is everything 3D Mario aspired to be all the way from 64, before it started getting more linear and adopting flagpoles. 64 may have heavy nostalgia on its side, as well as Galaxy for me, but Odyssey is just the closest to perfection any 3D Mario has ever come.

For 2D Mario I voted Maker btw. I love Mario World but Maker is a game that you never truly finish. There's always more to do, more possibilities for level creation which is why I want that game on Switch.

Bandana Waddle Dee

• The Legend of Dee
  • Shine Sprite
  • YoshiFlutterJump
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 28, 2018, 01:57:58 PM »
About time I explain my votes.

For 2D Mario, I was split between NSMBW and SMM.  NSMBW had the best multiplayer of any Mario game to date, while SMM is basically an endless library of unofficial Mario levels that anyone can add to.  In the end, NSMBW is the winner purely because of my multiplayer experience with my three sisters (back when I only had three...).  SMM is a really good game as well; it just didnít have the same multiplayer experience.

For 3D Mario, I went Galaxy 2.  When I first played it back in 2011, though, I hardly knew I was in space (well, I was six).  I was instead impressed by the 3D platforming, as it was my first 3D Mario.  I loved seeing all the Star Rings and Star Bits.  Odyssey, while a very good game, wasnít quite the same. 
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
3D World didnít quite cut it either, especially considering its multiplayer mechanic being very...bad.

Princess Mario

• Mushroom Kingdom's Most 🦄Fabulous🦄 Wario Killer
  • Donkey Kong
  • LeftyGreenMario
  • R.I.P. Walkazo December 16, 1991 - March 27, 2016
    • View Profile
    • RationalWiki
« Reply #23 on: March 28, 2018, 03:03:59 PM »
I didn't grow up with Super Mario 64 so I don't have the nostalgia for it. The game I DID grow up with was Super Smash Bros. 64. So, vote doesn't go to it. Mario also sounds like an idiot in this game and the camera can really suck.

Super Mario Sunshine, I just can't enjoy. It has its fun parts, but I don't want to experience the total crap parts too, the parts that are waiting for me. I've endured Blooper Surfing, the sandbird, Panchinko Machine, Pinna Park roller coaster, and I know there's more than those. FLUDD is a nice gimmick, and the tropical setting doesn't bother me. Not sure if I had camera issues.

Super Mario Galaxy amazed me when I was younger and I really like the game. It also has its share of crap though including Slingpod Galaxy, the Trial Galaxies, Luigi's Purple Coins, a lot of tedious Purple Coin missions. Good soundtrack though, and the level design is pretty good. I have some camera issues sometimes. I think the nostalgia for this game is a little tiring to hear. On another thought, it's funny how nostalgia is NOW applied to this game. I remember talking about nostalgia for this game years ago, and here we are.

Super Mario Galaxy 2 has a good soundtrack and some good concepts, but it's not much beyond that. It's a missed opportunity, a rehash of Galaxy 1, just something to cash-in Galaxy 1's success. Easily my most disliked 3D Mario platformer, but it's not the worst 3D Mario platformer. Yoshi also sounds atrocious and he's better off just not being there, and all his power-ups massively suck too.

Super Mario 3D Land is all right. It's unique for its time and I enjoyed it for what it is. It's just not a game I'd miss if it were to be suddenly wiped from existence though.

Super Mario 3D World is great. The multiplayer is a great addition, but its implementation is annoying and intrusive. New Super Mario Bros. Wii did the multiplayer thing better. I don't know what the developers were thinking to make the pick-up button be shared with the fireball button or have the Piranha Plant bite you or maybe why the cannon box be capable of friendly fire while mistakes are really punishing for the team, with no proper bubbling like New Super Mario Bros. Wii, which can protect you from griefers at least. But 3D World seemed to tire me at the time, making me think Mario is losing luster.

Super Mario Odyssey is really good even though sometimes, I think it missed the opportunity for building Mario's existing world (like reintroducing Pauline) rather than introduce us new worthless characters like Broodals and Cookatiel. But I like the new takes on the franchise including realistic reptilian things, no lives, biggish worlds, no goals like Power Stars (the moons are a massive improvement over the Power Stars). I mean, there's so little to dislike about the gameplay and level design of the game, maybe except I wish there was a little more of a challenge. But Moon hunting is really fun for me. Also, Odyssey is the only one with a worthwhile post-game, and it kept its share of bull*bleep* to the minimum, being mainly Farther Side of the Moon (which is mostly boring) and the Volleyball minigame, which is just dreadful despite my being lucky enough to beating it in a few tries without Cappy. Controls are the best in the series, Cappy is a very well-integrated mechanic, and Mario is adorable and can play dress-up and even crossdress. So, Odyssey's the best game for me.

Saltman

• King Bowser
  • Mr. Saltman
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 28, 2018, 05:51:57 PM »
Galaxy 1.

Bandana Waddle Dee

• The Legend of Dee
  • Shine Sprite
  • YoshiFlutterJump
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: March 31, 2018, 05:59:36 PM »
Super Mario Odyssey won this time, with 6 votes!  The SMG games were tied for runner-up, with 4 votes each!  And last place was 3D Land, which had no votes.

The next poll will commence momentarily.  Round 3 will be for the best Mario Kart game!  Voting ends next Saturday!

Builder Mario

• Top-Hatted Bean
  • Star Spirit
  • Fawfulthegreat64
  • I make YouTube videos sometimes
    • View Profile
    • YouTube
« Reply #26 on: March 31, 2018, 06:49:58 PM »
My personal best memories are from Mario Kart DS. I enjoy modding Mario Kart 8 but I still don't think it can compare to the memories I've had with DS, playing on road trips and such. I'm probably nostalgia-biased (and with the 3D Mario games, Odyssey finally managed to become my favorite despite heavy 64 and Galaxy nostalgia), but Mario Kart games have mostly been similar in quality so that makes the nostalgia give it the edge.

Savato

• Parasitic form of death
  • King Bowser
  • LED42
  • Also known as "Face-off with death"
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: March 31, 2018, 07:04:01 PM »
It's hard to decide since Mario Kart DS and Wii are both great, but I finally chose DS, as it has some unique features and characters (to be more specific: Mission Mode and R.O.B). Mario Kart Wii is still great, though.

And, with 3D games I chose Super Mario 64, more for the DS remake than for the original. Although it isn't in my list of favorites, it's an awesome game I still enjoy to play.

Also, Super Mario 64 DS's models look way better than the ones from Mario Kart DS. I mean, Nintendo could make decent models instead of that crap (yes, I'm talking about you, Donkey Kong).

Alex95

• NIWA Nut
  • Wiki Administrator
  • Dry Bowser
    • View Profile
    • Power Master Games
« Reply #28 on: March 31, 2018, 07:11:12 PM »
Going with Double Dash because I really like the dual player mechanic.

MediaVideoEditor856

• Drink Wilkins
  • King Bowser
  • Mario Kart DS Fan
  • MVE856
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: March 31, 2018, 07:28:14 PM »
you know my answer.
Quality post by MKDSF

Princess Mario

• Donkey Kong
  • LeftyGreenMario
    • View Profile
    • RationalWiki
« Reply #30 on: March 31, 2018, 08:16:14 PM »
Mario Kart 8.

It has the most tracks in the series and the most kart variety. The Deluxe version has a fleshed out battle mode. It also looks the best in the series. I can't say Double Dash because it's very barebones, and in single player, you're really out of luck. Mario Kart 7 has the best battle mode in the series, but it's let down by the lack of a VS mode and the multiplayer is wretched, just being online slapped in there with obnoxious timers and also extremely restricted download play. Mario Kart 8 is let down by putting a timer in VS mode tracks (seriously, what?) and a bad battle mode, but Deluxe improved on it (though they kept the brake slide U-turn thing, which is a really bad idea).

Forde

• Chill cavalier who just likes paintings, sleeping and apparently speaks to himself a lot. That's definitely not Koops.
  • Shine Sprite
  • Koops
  • Look at Seth! He's soloing the game again!
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: April 01, 2018, 01:12:28 AM »
Mario Kart 8/Deluxe

Being one of the Mario Kart games I ever played, and one of the two I own, I thought it was way better than MKWii, mainly because of the controls (I kinda hated tilt controls now that I think about it), but also just because of how it looks and the happiness one feels playing it. Other than that, I remember playing Mario Kart DS on a friend's DS, and it was cool, but it wasnít unforgettable.

Leo Luster

• You're gonna stop because that's what you do when you're faced with an irresistible force
  • King Bowser
  • Shy Guy on Wheels
  • And irresistible is what I am baby
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: April 01, 2018, 01:53:54 AM »
Mario Kart Wii

Iím going to summarise a few features of this game:

Vehicles: Each vehicle feels and plays differently, creating a variety of different vehicles to choose from, that are different from one another. Bikes donít help this either, as each of them play differently from their Kart counterparts.

Roster: I consider this game to have best roster. Having all of the characters I consider to be essential to the roster, alongside a few extras and little to no filler (Baby Daisy and possibly Dry Bowser).

Tracks: Unlike MK8 where thereís only one way to play a track, Mario Kart Wii has an impossibly high skill ceiling which means Iím constantly learning new strategies to play tracks faster. This game also holds some of my favourite tracks in the series (Toadís Factory and DKís Snowboard Cross) so thatís a plus.

Chrom Fire Emblem

• Bisexual Icon
  • Donkey Kong
  • Shygul
  • Trans rights.
    • View Profile
    • my new website plz check it out and share on facebook
« Reply #33 on: April 01, 2018, 02:25:21 AM »
Wii
the funnest and most intense times i've ever had in mario kart was when racing against 8 other people online who were all using flame runners and mach bikes
havent quite had such an experience since
« Last Edit: April 01, 2018, 02:27:24 AM by Hawkeye »

Bandana Waddle Dee

• The Legend of Dee
  • Shine Sprite
  • YoshiFlutterJump
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: April 07, 2018, 08:02:00 PM »
Mario Kart 8/Deluxe won this round!  I forgot to mention, but the arcade games will be decided on a later date!  The second place was tied between DS and Wii; and SMK, MK64, MKSC, and MK7 all had no votes.

This next poll is for the best mainstream Mario Party game.  The handheld and arcade games will be decided later.  Voting will start shortly and end Friday night!
« Last Edit: April 07, 2018, 10:17:27 PM by Easter Yoshi »

Princess Mario

• Donkey Kong
  • LeftyGreenMario
    • View Profile
    • RationalWiki
« Reply #35 on: April 08, 2018, 12:22:00 AM »

winstein

• Power Star
  • Justice is not limited, it is a universal quality
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: April 08, 2018, 11:41:46 AM »
While Mario Party 6 is undoubtedly the most definitive Mario Party yet, with very well-designed boards, an item system that compliments it, a huge variety of minigames, great solo game modes, very personable hosts and a very coherent theme, I am going to vote for the first Mario Party game that fit the descriptions I used for Mario Party 6's strengths: Mario Party 3. That's mainly because it did those thing first, and I think it deserves credit for doing them.

It appears that I didn't manage to vote for Mario Kart, but if I were to vote, I will agree with everybody and choose Mario Kart 8 (and Deluxe) because it has the most tracks between classic and modern, and has the features that were standard in past Mario Kart games save for Mission Mode. That is undoubtedly the best one yet.

Thank you for reading.
(Credit goes to Alex95 for this signature)

Leo Luster

• You're gonna stop because that's what you do when you're faced with an irresistible force
  • King Bowser
  • Shy Guy on Wheels
  • And irresistible is what I am baby
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: April 08, 2018, 11:45:12 AM »
Mario Party DS

Mcmadness

• Power Star
  • The idiot who puts things in the wrong board.
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: April 08, 2018, 12:19:36 PM »
Somebody say Mario Party?

Thank you for taking the time to read this sig. This sig loves you.