Author Topic: Super Smash Bros. Ultimate  (Read 31949 times)

Mcmadness

• Power Star
  • The idiot who puts things in the wrong board.
    • View Profile
Re: Super Smash Bros. Ultimate
« Reply #260 on: June 13, 2018, 08:01:06 AM »
Hey Capcom! Maybe you should think about doing what Sakurai is doing for your next Marvel vs Capcom game. Maybe that franchise will be loved again.

To be fair, what characters on the marvel side that get in isn't exactly their choice.
Thank you for taking the time to read this sig. This sig loves you.

Princess Mario

• 🌸Mushroom Kingdom's most beautiful plumber.🌸 Avatar by moondragon2003
  • Donkey Kong
  • LeftyGreenMario
  • R.I.P. Walkazo December 16, 1991 - March 27, 2016
    • View Profile
    • RationalWiki
« Reply #261 on: June 13, 2018, 11:20:54 AM »
I do hope that small, stupid change of selecting stage first, then characters doesn't get that much in the way of enjoying the game. What would happen if you wanted to rematch someone in a counterpick stage? Would you have to reselect those characters or would they retain them? Either way, it's an arbitrary move.
"Mario begins his ascension to the celestial realm, Luigi spontaneously becomes a twitching pile of boneless flesh and Daisy is nonchalantly like 'this is fine'." -NanoRim

Fawfultheghost64

• Star Spirit
  • Fawfulthegreat64
    • View Profile
    • Mario RPG Universe
« Reply #262 on: June 13, 2018, 11:36:07 AM »
I do hope that small, stupid change of selecting stage first, then characters doesn't get that much in the way of enjoying the game. What would happen if you wanted to rematch someone in a counterpick stage? Would you have to reselect those characters or would they retain them? Either way, it's an arbitrary move.
Agreed. I hope that can be changed in options or something.

Ghostly Yoshi

• Dry Bowser
  • YoshiFlutterJump
    • View Profile
« Reply #263 on: June 13, 2018, 01:13:23 PM »
I noticed some things in the trailer.

-Daisy, Dark Pit, and Lucina are Echo Fighters.

-Alph and the Koopalings are now seemingly just palette swaps instead of Echo Fighters.

-Dr. Mario is not an Echo Fighter.

What a mess.

Shy Guy on Wheels

• Watch out! Shy Guy on Wheels coming through!
  • King Bowser
  • That Stop Sign on my flag is an Octagon!
    • View Profile
« Reply #264 on: June 13, 2018, 01:17:23 PM »
-Alph and the Koopalings are now seemingly just palette swaps instead of Echo Fighters.
They were never Echo Fighters in the first place.

Princess Mario

• Donkey Kong
  • LeftyGreenMario
    • View Profile
    • RationalWiki
« Reply #265 on: June 13, 2018, 01:20:43 PM »
I suppose you haven't played Smash Wii U, but Dark Pit and Lucina are always considered "separate" fighters while Alph and the Koopalings have always been palette swaps. Echo fighters are pretty much fighters who have slightly different characteristics. Doc has been Luigified, so he's now more of a semi-clone, as he has a different down-special and d-air as well as having every move behave very differently from Mario. Lucina and Dark Pit, on the other hand, are extremely similar to their base character, Marth and Pit respectively. Daisy also looks nearly identical to Peach, and she's closer to Peach than Doc is to Mario.
"Mario begins his ascension to the celestial realm, Luigi spontaneously becomes a twitching pile of boneless flesh and Daisy is nonchalantly like 'this is fine'." -NanoRim

Russian Baby Luigi

• Nick, you need to find a woman who hates herself, she'll love you.
  • Awards Committee
  • Mushroom Attendant
  • Baby Luigi
  • 🇷🇺 Малыш Луиджи 🇷🇺 Патриотическая
    • View Profile
« Reply #266 on: June 13, 2018, 02:09:57 PM »
Of myself, of course, because I have an unhealthy obsession with self inserts.

You're weird.

As someone who plays really long sessions, someone will be really unhappy if the fighter selections and stuff are unchanged.
RIP B. "Walkazo" Dalziel. December 16, 1991 to March 27, 2016.

J & Siph

• J-Yoshi64
  • Dry Bowser
  • J-Yoshi64
  • Always remembering Walkazo
    • View Profile
    • DeviantArt
« Reply #267 on: June 13, 2018, 02:17:58 PM »

You're weird.
Thank you. And I know. It's a problem. :shifty:
May Walkazo always be remembered on MarioWiki for years to come.
Follow me because I'm not a narcissist: https://twitter.com/JYoshi64 https://www.deviantart.com/just-call-me-j

Ghostly Yoshi

• Dry Bowser
  • YoshiFlutterJump
    • View Profile
« Reply #268 on: June 13, 2018, 03:00:35 PM »
I suppose you haven't played Smash Wii U, but Dark Pit and Lucina are always considered "separate" fighters while Alph and the Koopalings have always been palette swaps. Echo fighters are pretty much fighters who have slightly different characteristics. Doc has been Luigified, so he's now more of a semi-clone, as he has a different down-special and d-air as well as having every move behave very differently from Mario. Lucina and Dark Pit, on the other hand, are extremely similar to their base character, Marth and Pit respectively. Daisy also looks nearly identical to Peach, and she's closer to Peach than Doc is to Mario.
I have played Smash Wii U; actually, it's the only Smash game I've played.  I never understood why Lucina and Dark Pit got their own slots, why Alph didn't (even though he's as much as an Echo Fighter as them), and why there are two characters named Roy in the game.  It doesn't really make sense.

Princess Mario

• Donkey Kong
  • LeftyGreenMario
    • View Profile
    • RationalWiki
« Reply #269 on: June 13, 2018, 03:03:45 PM »
Slots don't really mean much, but I think it might be a good idea, only for aesthetic reasons, to tie Echo Fighters in the same tile as the base fighters, maybe the same for Doc as well. Alph isn't "as much as an Echo Fighter"; he's only a cosmetic change from Olimar. Echo Fighters seem to have slightly modified attack properties.

Shy Guy on Wheels

• Watch out! Shy Guy on Wheels coming through!
  • King Bowser
  • That Stop Sign on my flag is an Octagon!
    • View Profile
« Reply #270 on: June 13, 2018, 03:04:33 PM »
I never understood why Lucina and Dark Pit got their own slots, why Alph didn't (even though he's as much as an Echo Fighter as them), and why there are two characters named Roy in the game.  It doesn't really make sense.
Lucina & Dark Pit are clones because they didn't have enough time to make a new character, but had enough time to create a clone. The Reason Alph didn't become a Clone was because they didn't have enough time to make him into a Clone.

Princess Mario

• Donkey Kong
  • LeftyGreenMario
    • View Profile
    • RationalWiki
« Reply #271 on: June 13, 2018, 03:08:30 PM »
I feel you're just trying to confuse YoshiFlutterJump :shifty:

J & Siph

• J-Yoshi64
  • Dry Bowser
  • J-Yoshi64
  • Always remembering Walkazo
    • View Profile
    • DeviantArt
« Reply #272 on: June 13, 2018, 03:34:53 PM »
Dr. Mario's down special is different from Mario's. That's enough to separate him from echo characters.
May Walkazo always be remembered on MarioWiki for years to come.
Follow me because I'm not a narcissist: https://twitter.com/JYoshi64 https://www.deviantart.com/just-call-me-j

Princess Mario

• Donkey Kong
  • LeftyGreenMario
    • View Profile
    • RationalWiki
« Reply #273 on: June 13, 2018, 03:38:09 PM »
Not really, because Dark Pit also has a different d-special. Dr. Mario's overall moveset and playstyle is radically different. Dr. Mario is about being patient and scoring strong hits. Mario is about mobility and stringing comboes.

Ghostly Yoshi

• Dry Bowser
  • YoshiFlutterJump
    • View Profile
« Reply #274 on: June 13, 2018, 03:44:56 PM »
The thing about Alph, though, is that he and the Koopalings aren't treated like other palette swaps, even though they share a slot.  The announcer and crowd calls them by a different name, and they seem to have unique sprites.  For the Koopalings, it makes sense that they share a slot with Bowser Jr., considering that there are seven of them (not to mention that some Fire Emblem character came through DLC and stole Roy's name); however, the fact that the Koopalings can become Shadow Mario is just confusing.

Alph and the Koopalings are basically in a category of their own: the Swap Fighter class.  They behave exactly the same as another fighter (like Echo Fighters), and are selected by pressing L/R on another character (like palette swaps), but they have unique sprites and are called by different names.

For Dr. Mario, you're right that he's more than an echo fighter.  But his moveset is heavily based on Mario's, except for his down special (he uses Mario's original down special instead of FLUDD) and his final smash.

Mcmadness

• Power Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #275 on: June 13, 2018, 04:55:00 PM »
I don't think there is much to be done with Alph anyway, even in Pikmin itself all captains play the same.

Russian Baby Luigi

• Nick, you need to find a woman who hates herself, she'll love you.
  • Awards Committee
  • Mushroom Attendant
  • Baby Luigi
  • 🇷🇺 Малыш Луиджи 🇷🇺 Патриотическая
    • View Profile
« Reply #276 on: June 13, 2018, 04:56:15 PM »

You're weird.
Thank you. And I know. It's a problem. :shifty:

Pssst, don't tell anyone this but

I'm obsessed with self-inserts as well.
RIP B. "Walkazo" Dalziel. December 16, 1991 to March 27, 2016.

Mcmadness

• Power Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #277 on: June 13, 2018, 05:15:36 PM »
I just like video games.

Smasher

• Also known as me
  • Global Moderator
  • Mushroom Princess
  • Rest in peace, Walkazo
    • View Profile
    • Smasher Land
« Reply #278 on: June 13, 2018, 05:40:32 PM »
Some assorted thoughts finally:

- I had a feeling we might finally see no cuts this time, but I didn't see literally everyone happening. Happy about no cuts, very happy about Ice Climbers, Wolf, and Snake coming back. Mixed feelings on having Pichu/Young Link/Trainer again, but I admit it's pretty interesting to have every last veteran together.
- Inklings look pretty cool, I'm interested in trying them out. Still a excellent choice.
- Daisy eh. I like her but I've never had much desire to see her in Smash. Not a terrible clone choice though, and given that I like Peach I'll probably end up playing as her sometimes.
- Ridley...oh man, so SO happy to finally have him in, especially since I had no hope for him going into this round. He's long overdue and they did a great job with him.
- I kind of hope every stage is back now? Maybe leave out a few of the more redundant ones (we probably don't need all of the Flat Zones for example), but otherwise it's really cool seeing how many are in already. I'm fine with there likely being less newer stages because the giant number of past ones gives a great amount of variety already.
- Likewise with every past fighter back I'm fine with and expecting less unique newcomers. I'm thinking maaaybe 5 more for an even 70 minus echoes. We also probably haven't seen every echo yet, which I'm also ok with. Kind of wondering who else will get in as one now...
- I was actually hoping Alph would be promoted to a clone/echo here, never really liked him being just a palette swap.
- Kind of disappointed Bomberman's an assist (and also kind of think of it's unusual) but oh well, happy he's acknowledged. Not personally bothered by any of the others that are out of it, though a few I wouldn't have minded seeing playable.
-- Overall the game just looks really really nice, there are a few decisions I'm mixed on or don't care for but nothing is perfect. A lot of the changes they have shown have been really great. It's been more than enough to hype me and I'm really looking forward to Ultimate now. It's gonna be great.

Deku

• Izuku Midoriya
  • Donkey Kong
  • GalacticPetey
  • Plus Ultra!
    • View Profile
« Reply #279 on: June 13, 2018, 05:45:54 PM »
I don't think there is much to be done with Alph anyway, even in Pikmin itself all captains play the same.
We know at one point Sakurai considered Alph for a separate character slot with the a moveset that would have involved Rock Pikmin in some way. Not sure how unique he would have been but I wouldn't have been bothered with him being separate. Shame he's once again stuck as an alt, but hey that's better than a lot of characters who never get a chance.