Author Topic: Super Smash Bros. Ultimate  (Read 57549 times)

Shy Guy on Wheels

• Definitely on Wheels
  • King Bowser
  • Octagon?
    • View Profile
Re: Super Smash Bros. For Nintendo Switch
« Reply #40 on: March 09, 2018, 02:35:48 AM »

Some guesses on the silhouettes. I'm probably wrong on a lot of these.
I think it’s the Ice Climbers, not Peach.

Roserade

• President of the Literature Club
  • Core 'Shroom Staff
  • King Bowser
  • "Write your way into his heart..."
    • View Profile
    • Rose Garden Forums
« Reply #41 on: March 09, 2018, 02:38:02 AM »
Perhaps I'm holding onto false hope, but I thought the same.

Lassi

• All virgos are very friendly and intelligent
  • King Bowser
  • Pink Cat
  • Except for me
    • View Profile
    • Where the wind blows
« Reply #42 on: March 09, 2018, 03:00:12 AM »

From Nintendo's press release, guess that settles things.
I just hope Sakurai doesn't stress himself too hard again, a man shouldn't be near death just for directly a video game.

memoryman3

• Daisy for Smash and everything
  • Dry Bones
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: March 09, 2018, 03:28:01 AM »
Can we have Daisy? Please? As a separate character?
Daisy 4 Smash 5!

infinite8

• Changed avatar because Pauline is here, ...
  • Dry Bowser
  • ...and my boy Dry Bones is confirmed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: March 09, 2018, 04:25:46 AM »
I wonder which character will not make it in this installment.

Hopefully not most of the 3rd Party characters.
EVERYONE IS HERE!
Twitter - Tumblr

Rintarou Okabe

• his smile and optimism = gone
  • Donkey Kong
  • freakworld
  • El Psy Kongroo
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: March 09, 2018, 04:43:17 AM »
>>>>not a Port

Sakurai you absolute maniac

Bye Guy

• Monty Mole
  • Super Radio
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: March 09, 2018, 07:45:40 AM »
I'm excited but I don't want six anime swordfighters to join the roster yet again. Crash Bandicoot would be a nice addition. Wario Land has to receive more representation, although I doubt this.

J — Pony Disguise

• J-Yoshi64
  • Dry Bowser
  • J-Yoshi64
  • Always remembering Walkazo
    • View Profile
    • DeviantArt
« Reply #47 on: March 09, 2018, 10:42:07 AM »
Every time I see Ridley as a playable character in Smash fan games/mods, idk, he looks awkward and dumb to me.
I feel the same about Geno, Fawful, and Dimentio in game mods and rosters.
May Walkazo always be remembered on MarioWiki for years to come.
Follow me because I'm not a narcissist: https://twitter.com/JYoshi64 https://www.deviantart.com/just-call-me-j

LeftyGreenMario

• Do not show the embarrassing CPU scores during the battle.
  • Donkey Kong
  • R.I.P. Walkazo December 16, 1991 - March 27, 2016
    • View Profile
    • RationalWiki
« Reply #48 on: March 09, 2018, 02:48:23 PM »
I'm excited but I don't want six anime swordfighters to join the roster yet again. Crash Bandicoot would be a nice addition. Wario Land has to receive more representation, although I doubt this.
To be honest, I'd be sooooo in for Llyod Irving, who is very anime and very swordy.

I also like to see Squirtle and Ivysaur return, but not begging for it.

I wish developers can announce outright who's NOT in and let it blow over early. Ice Climbers were a special case, though.

Finally, I kinda wish Smash was more ridiculous and cartoony, not give us a trailer where everyone the Inklings face look like serial killers. Nevertheless, the way Mario is highlighted like this under a demonic-like sun, it cracks me up.

Bye Guy

• Monty Mole
  • Super Radio
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: March 09, 2018, 04:31:01 PM »
Quite the generalisation I made. Lloyd Irving isn't just a reskin of FE characters so it's ok.

What bothered me the most about Smash 4 was how there was so much emphasis on advertising (at the time) new games like FE and Bayonetta and less emphasis on the history of gaming, which should be Smash's target to champion. The game isn't just a big crossover--I mean, yeah thanks, there are many Smash knock-offs out there-- it's a story and evolution told through characters. As I said before, so much Wario Land stuff was left out, and that's just one thing with underrepresentation. Why though?

LeftyGreenMario

• Donkey Kong
    • View Profile
    • RationalWiki
« Reply #50 on: March 09, 2018, 04:38:53 PM »
Out of six, though, two would be Fire Emblem reskins (Lucina almost being a literal reskin; Roy is clone who diversified a little). The rest have drastically different play styles from each other, so I think it's unfair to lump Robin with Ike. After all, we could've gotten Chrom.

Bayonetta wasn't really about advertisement though? She was more of a Smash ballot winner, though to be fair, I still doubt the results of the ballot. I don't think it's a good PR decision to release some data on the ballot, but on the other hand, the results are weird; Bayonetta isn't exactly a national gaming icon so perhaps advertisement did play some role for her too, given the big deal around Nintendo's support of Bayonetta 2. I think Smash serves as both to advertise more obscure franchises and also be an all-stars game. And Smash 4 isn't the first time it advertised Fire Emblem, it did this back with Marth and Roy (Melee's Corrin), and both were intended to be Japan-exclusive characters. So I disagree that Smash 4 was more about advertising than any previous Smash Bros. game. Not saying I like Corrin's addition in the game. Corrin seems like a vehicle to promote a game and introduce potential players to the games and an interesting play style but on his own, I can't shake the feeling he's there mainly as an advertisement.
« Last Edit: March 09, 2018, 04:43:05 PM by LeftyGreenMario »

Bye Guy

• Monty Mole
  • Super Radio
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: March 09, 2018, 05:24:52 PM »
I have a feeling that the ballot was rigged though, as I saw many many more people asking for characters like Banjo & Kazooie and K. Rool--not counting irrational choices like Shrek and Goku, ofc. Don't remember seeing Bayonetta that much but I was only casually checking the news so I may be ignorant on this.

Yeah, like you said, Smash should promote obscure or new franchises, but at the same time knit them together with more recognizable ones for an homogenous family. I know Fire Emblem has been around for years, but I didn't appreciate how so many characters from that franchise made it into the game, given how similar their overall structure is that didn't make them stand out for me as individuals, honestly. Cloud and Bayonetta may fall in the same category. I suggest a balance between cartoony and realistic. Remove one FE character and put Cranky Kong in, for example. Old and experienced but athletic, just like Yoda from Star Wars.

Weasel

• All that and a bag of cool beans.
  • Global Moderator
  • Donkey Kong
  • MST3K
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: March 09, 2018, 05:53:30 PM »
i'm a pretty big fe nut and i'd happily remove corrin for dixie

Alex95

• NIWA Nut
  • Wiki Administrator
  • Dry Bowser
    • View Profile
    • Power Master Games
« Reply #53 on: March 09, 2018, 05:53:50 PM »
Regarding Fire Emblem, I know Sakurai is a fan and has been since the beginning, so it's likely he'll continue to put in characters. Sword users are getting stale, I think Marth and Ike are most likely to remain, maybe Robin due to his Fire Emblem-based mechanics. If diversity is needed, throw in some other weapon users, like Sigurd or Hector. Heck, maybe even Chrom if they let him use lances and javelins for his specials and keep his sword to standard/Smash attacks. Or if they want to go recent, replace Robin with Celica since they both use swords and magic (though differently).

Bayonetta I am incredibly iffy on. I still don't think she's the type of character for Smash, overly seductive woman and all. If Morrigan Aensland from Darkstalkers won, it'd be the same feeling. I just don't like this type of character. She's to OP as well, every fight I have with her online, regardless of whether I win or not, just isn't fun, and Smash tournaments are seeing that now too. Strange how the fans voted for her and are now complaining about her.

Lloyd Irving

I don't know much about this guy, and the only relation I have with the Tales series is through Project X Zone 2, but from what I've seen of him, he'd be pretty cool to add. I doubt it, though, considering it's yet another third-party character to add. Same deal with Sora, who is held by two properties.

The newcomer I really want to see is Golden Sun's Isaac, or at least his son Matthew. Isaac was an Assist Trophy in Brawl, but nowhere to be found in Smash 4, so I want to see him get the "Little Mac treatment" this time around. Yes, he would be another sword user, but his use of Psynergy would make for some great moves. Just look at the Project M mod that almost had him in. (I'd also be fine with Lyn from said PM mod, but eh, look at my first paragraph).

LeftyGreenMario

• Donkey Kong
    • View Profile
    • RationalWiki
« Reply #54 on: March 09, 2018, 07:18:11 PM »
I have a feeling that the ballot was rigged though, as I saw many many more people asking for characters like Banjo & Kazooie and K. Rool--not counting irrational choices like Shrek and Goku, ofc. Don't remember seeing Bayonetta that much but I was only casually checking the news so I may be ignorant on this.

Yeah, like you said, Smash should promote obscure or new franchises, but at the same time knit them together with more recognizable ones for an homogenous family. I know Fire Emblem has been around for years, but I didn't appreciate how so many characters from that franchise made it into the game, given how similar their overall structure is that didn't make them stand out for me as individuals, honestly. Cloud and Bayonetta may fall in the same category. I suggest a balance between cartoony and realistic. Remove one FE character and put Cranky Kong in, for example. Old and experienced but athletic, just like Yoda from Star Wars.
I don't think it was rigged, it's that language that gets me though. "Realizable". It's vague and it can mean virtually anything.

About Fire Emblem characters, while their movesets are varied, I do agree they do look very homogenous next to each other. I played an 8-player match against green-colored Ike, Marth, Robin, Lucina, Corrin, and Lucina, and my goodness, they all look the same, more similar to each other than Mario is to Luigi, and those two are supposed to be twin brothers. There's more to Fire Emblem than young, caped swordspeople. IMO if we ever get a new Fire Emblem character, I like to see a mount, a pegasus-rider. Would be interesting. Or just the horse. :P But importantly, the characters won't blend in with the other caped people.

I like Bayonetta. I think she's a little off, but she's quirky enough, and if anything, her personality is a stand-out. Her playstyle being "OP" has no bearing on her merits as a character on the roster. IMO, she's more welcome to me than Corrin (considering my anti-Corrin bias). I don't think it was the same people who voted for her and then complained about her. The Smash community is huge. Chances are, they're two different hives of people and I'm willing to bet that the person who are complaining about her are those that didn't vote for her, and those that want her are content and won't need to voice their opinions or think she is overpowered.
« Last Edit: March 09, 2018, 07:20:16 PM by LeftyGreenMario »

Captain America

• Steve Rogers
  • Donkey Kong
  • GalacticPetey
  • Avengers Assemble
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: March 09, 2018, 10:38:40 PM »
I see talk about this a lot, but I think people fail to realize that outside of hardcore gamers, no one really cares about banjo and Kazooie. Sure, if you spend a lot of time around video games forums you'll see them come up a lot, but there are millions of others who play Smash and don't visit these kind of sites. As LGM said, Bayonetta was number 1 among "realizable" characters. The language is vague and could mean anything.

And there's nothing wrong with Bayonetta being in. Snake made it in despite being from an M rated franchise. Bayonetta has history with Nintendo, more than other 3rd party picks like the aforementioned Snake, as well as Cloud. Also she is heavily toned down from her own games. There's nothing wrong with a character being sexy.  Especially a character as confident in herself as Bayonetta. She's not sex appeal for the sake of sex appeal. As for her being OP, that's on the balance team. Meta Knight was even more busted in Brawl and it's not like Sakurai cut him.

At the point Bayonetta was the ballot winner and that the franchise has a strong future on Nintendo, I don't see her going away.

LeftyGreenMario

• Donkey Kong
    • View Profile
    • RationalWiki
« Reply #56 on: March 09, 2018, 11:07:36 PM »
I do think Banjo Kazooie are iconic enough to get a sizeable portion of votes, but they're still a niche audience, I'm afraid. On the other hand, I don't think Bayonetta is the kind of character that's instantly recognizable. She's even more niche than Banjo, in my opinion. Most of us probably didn't even know about her games until the drama of Bayonetta 2 (anecdote: I for one didn't even know there was a witch-themed game that plays like Devil May Cry, which was a game I KNOW about but I doubt Devil May Cry is the game the average Nintendo fan is familiar with either...). Even then, I don't think a lot of us were aware of the complaints people made when they found out Bayonetta 2 will be a Wii U exclusive.

And Bayonetta indeed has a history with Nintendo, a very special one I'd argue. Given Nintendo's support of Bayonetta 2 all the way, though, I feel it's a really kind gesture of them to put Bayonetta in Smash. Bayonetta is fantastic game that would've died (thanks Sega) otherwise, had Nintendo not stepped in. And even after that kind of promotion, Nintendo further put Bayonetta in their women's day PR promotion, so it seems like they care about Bayonetta. That kind of enthusiasm and support makes me genuinely happy, so in the end, maybe it's why I like Bayonetta's inclusion overall despite not being the most popular of characters.

JC

• Wiki Bureaucrat
  • Blooper
  • Mario jc
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: March 10, 2018, 12:13:09 AM »
i can be your angle... or yuor devil

Saltman

• Magikoopa
  • Mr. Saltman
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: March 10, 2018, 12:42:58 AM »
If I don't see either Waluigi or K.Rool here, I will die.

If I had to choose only one of them, however, I just couldn't decide.

I mean what kind of moveset could she even have?

J — Pony Disguise

• J-Yoshi64
  • Dry Bowser
  • J-Yoshi64
  • Always remembering Walkazo
    • View Profile
    • DeviantArt
« Reply #59 on: March 10, 2018, 01:10:35 AM »

I mean what kind of moveset could she even have?
I talked about this. I won't beat a dead horse, though. So I'll talk about someone I really want in Smash yet I completely forgot to talk about ever.

Bandanna Waddle Dee. He could use Spear and Parasol, too.
May Walkazo always be remembered on MarioWiki for years to come.
Follow me because I'm not a narcissist: https://twitter.com/JYoshi64 https://www.deviantart.com/just-call-me-j